• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX Maverick regulator creep

The Belleville washers in a regulator seem to work best when they are very close to being fully compressed. If you are tuning for lower power, you may have to remove a Belleville washer from the stack and replace it with a flat one (to act as a shim) then adjust the delrin seat accordingly like I have done to the regulator on my Cricket in its current setup. 

What you are describing doesn't sound like creep.

Creep is where the reg consistently returns to the same pressure after each shot, but if you let it sit for an hour and come back, the pressure is higher.

Set point shift is where over many shooting sessions, the pressure the regulator returns to is higher than when you set it previously.

Your problem sounds like plain old inconsistency and I second the recommendation to rebuild the reg. You might not even have to replace any orings, just clean and relube everything with good silicone lube. Polishing can also help, both any sliding and sealing surfaces. I had good luck with the polishing outlined in the following video from Ernest, and the 3M polishing cloth he uses is awesome. I started with a much less aggressive grit than he did in the video, probably in the 2000-4000grit range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-p-sGTJCiA&t=1s

Thanks for the advice.

I have been working on tuning for FX Hybrids today and got it tuned to short at 960 with a ES on 4 fps which is fine. The regulator pressure is 135/105 and I am shooting on PW setting 7 and guess the IHS is almost in (3 mm). After leaving the gun for app 5 hours I was shooting 10 shorts without changing anything and under the same weather conditions and now the gun is all over the place - I see ES of 30 fps and I can see the 2 reg now is 4-5 bar off (100 instead of 105).

I guess the solution is to rebuild the regulator? 

I had some creep like that as well in my Maverick. It is most likely due to me doing something stupid like turning pressure down while aired up. After diving into it to attempt to rebuild it, I realized I did not like the design they use for the reg and got a Huma to replace it. The weak point on all these regs are really the delrin components and the Huma is just simpler with that piece. Caution here....the Huma does take some time to seat into that delrin and give you the consistency you want. I just set mine up and ignored the minor fluctuations while shooting it here and there over the course of a week and now it is absolutely rock solid.