FX Maverick or Tipan Veteran for consistency (no need to re-sight in the next shoot) and accuracy.

I own multiples of both the FX Impact and the Taipan Veteran and I trust them both in hunting/pesting situations. I can't say that I prefer one brand over the other in my pesting(?) I actually rotate between my Impacts and my Veterans.
Right now I have my Taipan Mutant .22 caliber set-up on a tripod at my office window, doing night patrol of the bird feeder placed 40 yards away. I took my FX Impact .177 cal down from the tripod on Tuesday because I caught a raccoon on my trail camera and I want the slightly larger caliber for more latitude in shot placement.
I find the Taipans to be the quieter and more ROBUST of the 2 brands. However, the Impact is the more modular and versatile of the 2.
I think both/either will serve you well in typical hunting pesting situations.
Good luck in your airgun journey.
I suspect you will eventually own both the Vet and the Impact.😉
My apologies. I just read your title, where you specifically asked about the FX Maverick rather than the Impact.
Hopefully, another member with experience using the Maverick will chime in.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakeb
Taipan period. Never heard of a Taipan having poi shifts. Have heard FXs having that issue. Not all but quite a few have admitted to the issue. The barrel systems are not the sturdiest. Hence tensioning mods and such. I have owned multiple Taipans never an issue. One bounced around in my truck for 6 months never touched the scope.

As you might expect...discontinuity..!

I own a copy of both makes, both in .22. No doubt, that I'd pick the FX, Maverick.

While I have had NO problem with either guns (in any form), and I seriously doubt that you'd have ANY point of aim problems in either gun. My Maverick is almost two years old, with zero problems. My Taipan is only about 10 months old. But again, no problems.
I like to swap sights from gun to gun until I finally find THE ONE sight...for that gun. That said, I've returned a given sight to the Maverick a two or three times, and in all cases, the sight needed NO adjusting to be on point.

Plus, for whatever reason, I can shoot a little better (off-hand, accurate) with the Maverick.

Mike

I’ve had 2 impacts, and a wildcat, and all are gone. The veteran stays.

That being said, it all depends on the pesting/hunting you’re doing. Shooting out your office window from a tripod, I think the maverick would excel purely based on cocking lever placement. Tripod shooting lends itself to lack of bumping barrels or worrying about poi shifts. The maverick regulators also seem to be decent and don’t have the creep other fx rifles do.
The vet is better suited out in the field and woods walking. Bump the barrel on a tree or drop it accidentally, the poi is still spot on. The regulator is also ROCK SOLID.

Lastly, the maverick is going to be capable of more power and more shots. With slug power kits and such available, power is easily reachable, and with a bottle, shot count is much higher. I have my vet set to 900fps with .25 hades, and that’s where it’ll stay. Enough power for what I need, and laser accurate.

The Maverick is another FX adjustamatic. If tinkering is your game, FX is the name. I have not owned a Maverick. The Crown I had suffered constantly from POI shifts. My Veteran never shifts, it's a tank. I realize the Maverick and Crown barrel assemblies are not identical, and I'm sure the Maverick is an improvement. But, looking at the design tells me, no way can it be as consistent in all conditions as the Veteran. But the real question, is it sufficiently consistent for your needs....don't know. I think that depends on the size of your target, and your typical handling conditions.

Plus they're damn sexy.

20220416_175308.jpg

Reactions: Raptor72 and jakeb
I saw this and I was curious. I had shot a group this morning. I banged up the barrel and shot several more groups at 86 yards from the same position. All the other groups on the paper were shot yesterday.

Fx maverick 700mm STX .22 NSA 24.8gr .218 at around 1000fps 165bar/130bar 11 gram hammer PW 6

View attachment 268276
My taipan shooting 33.95 pellets , 115 yards. Full magazine.

20220424_165656.jpg

After owning many brands, I have come to the conclusion that it depends on the specific gun more than the brand. I might try an EVOL next.
Your point is well taken, and certainly indivicual rifles will vary, as will the maintenance and/or abuse furnished by the owner. But, that said, my experience strongly suggests that certain brands, or models within brands, are more/less prone than others to suffer from POI shifts, based on their design. The owners of certain models (several from FX) seem to report this issue frequently. Others, such as the Veteran, are rarely similarly reported.

I own multiples of both the FX Impact and the Taipan Veteran and I trust them both in hunting/pesting situations. I can't say that I prefer one brand over the other in my pesting(?) I actually rotate between my Impacts and my Veterans.
Right now I have my Taipan Mutant .22 caliber set-up on a tripod at my office window, doing night patrol of the bird feeder placed 40 yards away. I took my FX Impact .177 cal down from the tripod on Tuesday because I caught a raccoon on my trail camera and I want the slightly larger caliber for more latitude in shot placement.
I find the Taipans to be the quieter and more ROBUST of the 2 brands. However, the Impact is the more modular and versatile of the 2.
I think both/either will serve you well in typical hunting pesting situations.
Good luck in your airgun journey.
I suspect you will eventually own both the Vet and the Impact.😉
My apologies. I just read your title, where you specifically asked about the FX Maverick rather than the Impact.
Hopefully, another member with experience using the Maverick will chime in.
Thanks for your opinion! I really appreciate it!
I am also considering the Impact!

As you might expect...discontinuity..!

I own a copy of both makes, both in .22. No doubt, that I'd pick the FX, Maverick.

While I have had NO problem with either guns (in any form), and I seriously doubt that you'd have ANY point of aim problems in either gun. My Maverick is almost two years old, with zero problems. My Taipan is only about 10 months old. But again, no problems.
I like to swap sights from gun to gun until I finally find THE ONE sight...for that gun. That said, I've returned a given sight to the Maverick a two or three times, and in all cases, the sight needed NO adjusting to be on point.

Plus, for whatever reason, I can shoot a little better (off-hand, accurate) with the Maverick.

Mike
Thanks for your opinion!

I’ve had 2 impacts, and a wildcat, and all are gone. The veteran stays.

That being said, it all depends on the pesting/hunting you’re doing. Shooting out your office window from a tripod, I think the maverick would excel purely based on cocking lever placement. Tripod shooting lends itself to lack of bumping barrels or worrying about poi shifts. The maverick regulators also seem to be decent and don’t have the creep other fx rifles do.
The vet is better suited out in the field and woods walking. Bump the barrel on a tree or drop it accidentally, the poi is still spot on. The regulator is also ROCK SOLID.

Lastly, the maverick is going to be capable of more power and more shots. With slug power kits and such available, power is easily reachable, and with a bottle, shot count is much higher. I have my vet set to 900fps with .25 hades, and that’s where it’ll stay. Enough power for what I need, and laser accurate.
I really appreciate sharing your experience on these guns! Thanks!

I saw this and I was curious. I had shot a group this morning. I banged up the barrel and shot several more groups at 86 yards from the same position. All the other groups on the paper were shot yesterday.

Fx maverick 700mm STX .22 NSA 24.8gr .218 at around 1000fps 165bar/130bar 11 gram hammer PW 6

View attachment 268276
Thanks, your target speaks volumes! I am rather clumsy and bump my guns all the time!

The Maverick is another FX adjustamatic. If tinkering is your game, FX is the name. I have not owned a Maverick. The Crown I had suffered constantly from POI shifts. My Veteran never shifts, it's a tank. I realize the Maverick and Crown barrel assemblies are not identical, and I'm sure the Maverick is an improvement. But, looking at the design tells me, no way can it be as consistent in all conditions as the Veteran. But the real question, is it sufficiently consistent for your needs....don't know. I think that depends on the size of your target, and your typical handling conditions.
I do enjoy tweaking my guns but I can already imagine the $ upgrade/expansion outlay the Maverick would beckon me too!
Thanks!