• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx Maverick Issues

Hello all. Appreciate any help. I have owned other airguns and never had any issues. I just purchased a maverick top-gunair. The gun was all over the place and wasn't grouping. I then felt a blast of air run by my nose while firing a shot. I realized that the pullback lever wasn't properly attacked to the rod and the probe wasn't seating and the lever wasn't locking back. I managed to fix the issue and degassed before I did and then repreasured back up. Set my tank reg pressure to 150 and my second reg to 120. Problem is now when I cock back and press the trigger, I only hear a click, no air exchage and no loss of air. No sure if the hammer is broke or one of the orings but literally only fired 6 shots out of it before the problems started. Any suggestions? Or should I just send it back to topgun air. I don't like how the maverick pull back lever seems so flimsy. Not sure if I should return for the impact? Liked the idea of shooting slugs and heard the maverick does this well but don't need this many issues so quickly. Thanks in advance for any advise.

From the sounds of it your linkage between the cocking lever and operating rod is positioned incorrectly
The attachment between the cocking lever and the operating rod is a fairly common weak spot on the Maverick. We have owned three and I still have one.
Getting it set up properly is critical to the function of the gun and incorrect placement will cause all manner of problems from sloppy feeling cocking lever to power port misalignment, loss of power, inability to cock the hammer etc. The margin for error is very small and it has to be just right or it will be all wrong.
If you look at the operating rod you may be able to find the original marks left by the grub screws when it was set up at the factory. Set it back to that position if you can.
There are a couple videos on disassembly and reassembly of the Maverick put out by FX. You can get a very good idea of how to do it and they offer dimensions to check as well. Both videos are done by Earnest Rowe
Once you have it back together and operating correctly take out one of the grub screws in the linkage connector and put a small amount of blue locktite on it and tighten it back down. Then do the other one. It is the only way I have been able to get them to not slip.
I monkeyed around with mine until I got it right. If you aren’t comfortable with working on It or get frustrated easily send it back to where you bought it. when it comes back Locktite the grub screws or make sure whoever fixed it did.
I would not give up on the Maverick over this. The solution is fairly simple and when operating correctly it is a fine air gun.

Reactions: HogKiller
Hello all. Appreciate any help. I have owned other airguns and never had any issues. I just purchased a maverick top-gunair. The gun was all over the place and wasn't grouping. I then felt a blast of air run by my nose while firing a shot. I realized that the pullback lever wasn't properly attacked to the rod and the probe wasn't seating and the lever wasn't locking back. I managed to fix the issue and degassed before I did and then repreasured back up. Set my tank reg pressure to 150 and my second reg to 120. Problem is now when I cock back and press the trigger, I only hear a click, no air exchage and no loss of air. No sure if the hammer is broke or one of the orings but literally only fired 6 shots out of it before the problems started. Any suggestions? Or should I just send it back to topgun air. I don't like how the maverick pull back lever seems so flimsy. Not sure if I should return for the impact? Liked the idea of shooting slugs and heard the maverick does this well but don't need this many issues so quickly. Thanks in advance for any advise.
If I'm reading this right, you bought it from TopGun, I'd send it back on their dime, they didn't check it before it left is my guess. Or you can get some experience doing it on your own. I have two Mavericks and the VP (from TopGun) is a very clean solid cocking lever the Sniper (used from a member here) is 'loose' feeling. According to FX it's a 'production tolerance' thing, they'll replace parts if you ask.