Tuning FX Maverick full beans!

Great job, Donny. If anyone can ramp up a maverick, that would be you! You sure have come a long ways from the Hatsan big power days at the GTA, ha Ha! Your hatsans are probably like gamo urban power gun’s when compared to that maverick!

Haha, thanks Augie! I still have love for some of those Hatsans man. I had my Flash up to 80 fpe in .22, 50+ fpe in .177, and my friend's bully .30 up to 140 fpe, so they weren't too far behind on the Maverick ;) I do like my Maverick better than any of them, but it also costs a lot more.

Reactions: Bandito
I have a little accuracy update on the 16" twist .300 TJs liner. At the gun's current state of tune, the Griffin 78 grain slugs are same hole accurate(30 yards) shooting in the 960s! Every other weight I've shot from 54.5 gr up to 65.5 gr NSA slugs show promise too. All of them were easily grouping under an inch at 30 yards. That doesn't sound that great, but I didn't try them at different speeds, so I feel like they would tighten up, if I slowed them down and spent time trying to find what speed they like. I only tried them at the minimum power wheel setting I could to keep them subsonic. I was shooting the 65.5 grain NSA's around 1040 fps, and they were under .5" mostly with the occasional flyer about a half inch off. I feel like getting them in the 950 fps range would probably tighten them right up. Yes, I need to test them at 50 yards at some point, but I think they'll be just fine. I test at 30 yards most, because that is where I always zero my hunting guns.

I was mainly focused on testing the 65.5 grain and higher weight slugs, since my main goal with this barrel is high power for large critters. However, seeing what I have with what little testing I've done, I can't help but recommend the TJs 16" twist liner. If any of you are looking for a good blank to start a .30 slug build from, it is certainly worth a look I think. That is especially so, if wanting to go for a high power build, where you need the flexibility of being able to get a longer than normal blank. That's one of the best things about TJs liners, you can get them in any length you want! Just for reference, my 34" blank cost me $198 with shipping and all(ended up machining to 32"). That's not bad for a "custom" barrel in my book ;) 

Just to add some extra beans to this thread that rallyshark created. Here goes some more. I do not have a peek poppet but a nylon one. My valve seat is 6.85 and my hammer weight is made of tungsten carbide and around 21grams with a stainless steel spacer that combined make about 6mm pre tension. Made a brand new stainless valve pin with reduced diameter of 2mm around the valve seat segment instead of 2.75mm. i use a 800mm barrel and a single 500cc bottle. Using for the .22 an fx pin probe and a stock hammer spring. Return spring i am using is 6mm OD x 0.3mm thickness by 15mm lenght. Since i run the gun from 15 grain pellets to 40gr slugs i needed a lot of adjustment in the hammer wheel so made a 20 position with 0.35mm increment one that uses the full travel of the adjustment screw at the back. For fine tuning created a valve return knob like the impact has.
It is using a plenum with 146cc.
Polished reg piston and screw for consistency although it remains sensitive to temperature change since it is still the plastic one.
My prefered reg pressure is 125bar for target shooting at close to medium ranges (up to 300m) shoots 30gr at 1010 or 40gr at 915 (bc is the same as higher speeds).
At 170 bar shoots 40gr at 1025
At 185bar shoots 40 gr at 1105-1110 (109ft/lbs) so the receiver is the limiting factor for longer slugs. (If anyone knows a supplier with heavier quality slugs please tell me.)
If i use it for bench the longer bottle location is definitely a plus for stability with the added plenum section.
If used in standing position you can remove the extra reg section and place a 600mm barrel and go for it. 990fps with 41gr slugs in .25 tested at 170bar.
Thanks to rallyshark for inspiring me with this great post ,👍👍 and the modding will continue.
Cheers

IMG_20221220_181131.jpg

IMG_20221216_170416.jpg

IMG_20221217_092913.jpg

Screenshot_2022-08-30-19-26-04.png

IMG_20221020_195244.jpg

IMG_20221019_142011.jpg

Just to add some extra beans to this thread that rallyshark created. Here goes some more. I do not have a peek poppet but a nylon one. My valve seat is 6.85 and my hammer weight is made of tungsten carbide and around 21grams with a stainless steel spacer that combined make about 6mm pre tension. Made a brand new stainless valve pin with reduced diameter of 2mm around the valve seat segment instead of 2.75mm. i use a 800mm barrel and a single 500cc bottle. Using for the .22 an fx pin probe and a stock hammer spring. Return spring i am using is 6mm OD x 0.3mm thickness by 15mm lenght. Since i run the gun from 15 grain pellets to 40gr slugs i needed a lot of adjustment in the hammer wheel so made a 20 position with 0.35mm increment one that uses the full travel of the adjustment screw at the back. For fine tuning created a valve return knob like the impact has.
It is using a plenum with 146cc.
Polished reg piston and screw for consistency although it remains sensitive to temperature change since it is still the plastic one.
My prefered reg pressure is 125bar for target shooting at close to medium ranges (up to 300m) shoots 30gr at 1010 or 40gr at 915 (bc is the same as higher speeds).
At 170 bar shoots 40gr at 1025
At 185bar shoots 40 gr at 1105-1110 (109ft/lbs) so the receiver is the limiting factor for longer slugs. (If anyone knows a supplier with heavier quality slugs please tell me.)
If i use it for bench the longer bottle location is definitely a plus for stability with the added plenum section.
If used in standing position you can remove the extra reg section and place a 600mm barrel and go for it. 990fps with 41gr slugs in .25 tested at 170bar.
Thanks to rallyshark for inspiring me with this great post ,👍👍 and the modding will continue.
Cheers

View attachment 315377

View attachment 315378

View attachment 315379

View attachment 315380

View attachment 315381

View attachment 315382
Instead of going with nylon poppet change it to peek which is stronger and can make it smaller being stronger and smaller will make the valve open easier

This thread inspired my .30 maverick power quest as well. Rallyshark has been most helpful. That new power wheel and valve is interesting. Let me know if you ever make any to sell. I may be interested.
I gave away the original 3D model to europeairguns but i don't know how the final product will turn out. Has for the valve i sent an email to fx mentioning that newer mavericks could be implemented with more features and that it was my intention to share with the community if it wasn't in their interest. As soon as i have the time i will make more.

I gave away the original 3D model to europeairguns but i don't know how the final product will turn out. Has for the valve i sent an email to fx mentioning that newer mavericks could be implemented with more features and that it was my intention to share with the community if it wasn't in their interest. As soon as i have the time i will make more.
No problem. Very interesting though. Looks well made.

Instead of going with nylon poppet change it to peek which is stronger and can make it smaller being stronger and smaller will make the valve open easier
I still have some different diameter poppets to try in the same material. It's just that i didn't have the raw material at the time. But whatever reduces the strain on harmonics and components is worth to try out. Thanks for the heads up 👍

I still have some different diameter poppets to try in the same material. It's just that i didn't have the raw material at the time. But whatever reduces the strain on harmonics and components is worth to try out. Thanks for the heads up 👍
Nice work peek will help should need less hammer tension for the same amount of power I've been thinking about doing this to my impact but it is shooting really well and don't really want to tear it apart again but probably will

Impressive.

My Vulcan 3 .30 Cal, out of the box can only achieve 110 fpe.
Supposedly this guns weren't made for this energy levels but at the time there weren't a barrel this long either. The goal is to be able to use a lower reg pressure i think we are not measuring sticks here. 😃The goal is to put the shot where you need and with enough energy. My pursuit with heavy lead is mainly better bc = less deviation and elevation at distance