Tuning FX Maverick full beans!

Awesome work as usual Ignoto! I have very little to add on the technical bits, since I never documented in detail the stuff I've done. You've far surpassed the valve work I've done anyway at this point. The biggest benefit to PEEK would be it is a little easier to open the valve, since it doesn't really compress into the seat as much as the other materials you're using for the poppet. It is also stronger, so you could probably get away with a slightly smaller diameter poppet. All of the ones I made sealed up on the first try, but I made sure the machining on the sealing edge was perfect.

Awesome work as usual Ignoto! I have very little to add on the technical bits, since I never documented in detail the stuff I've done. You've far surpassed the valve work I've done anyway at this point. The biggest benefit to PEEK would be it is a little easier to open the valve, since it doesn't really compress into the seat as much as the other materials you're using for the poppet. It is also stronger, so you could probably get away with a slightly smaller diameter poppet. All of the ones I made sealed up on the first try, but I made sure the machining on the sealing edge was perfect.
This. I usually machine them with an interference fit 2-3 degrees and make sure that each sealing surface is highly "polished". PEEK can be stubborn .. the slightest imperfections or incompatible interference angles will make them leak. If it's leaking like crazy, inspect each sealing surface and machine thrm again as needed.

Sometimes it helps to mate them together (turning the valve body in a lathe and applying careful pressure with the poppet against the valve face). You can also use a Sharpie on the valve face and see where they mate up during this process (the beige / KETRON PEEK is great for this).

I commend your efforts for thinking outside of the box!! I know how much time and effort it is to get them working, i personally find balance valves of the knock open valve style to be way too frustrating to build and tune, especially with regards to dwell time.

The 26 gram "King Kong" tungsten hammer is actually pretty damned awesome. It unlocks ALL of the power potential regardless of the valve bore diameter. The snappiest / quietest / most efficient shot cycle is setting the reg to 180-190bar with a short / heavy spring with very light tension. Just enough to tap the valve and send heavy lead at high transonic velocity. Shooting hard lead 62gr / 600mm TJ feels more like shooting 16gr JSBs with the Mutant than anything else to me.
A heavy hammer allows for very high reg pressures to be used indeed and can help with long barrels also. But this time i am trying out a different path for the same goal.

Not going crazy or bored, the idea is that if i can reduce the energy needed to open the valve then i can reduce even further the valve stem diameter at the valve seat area. (More fragile) This in return can enchance further the airflow for the bigger calibers mainly. On a later day when i feel happy with tweaking geometries a titanium valve will come out and that will be it for valving in my part.

I have given some thought on what you said about the importance of valve springs and valve travel and this new one i made in the previous post will be using let's call it a 2nd stage spring for tweaking valve travel near the fully open travel along with the main spring and the valve spring adjuster which will mainly change the preload of the main spring but can also be used only for the travel limit zone.

Some different poppet geometries to be tested also.
IMG_20230531_071845.jpg

IMG_20230531_071514.jpg

I found out what was causing inconsistency on the fps spread on the previous post and was my fault on a recent hammer mod that wore out a plastic insert for noise dampening.

IMG_20230528_080619.jpg
Going back to metal on metal solved this.

Aside from the valve i tested different geometries on the valve housing (cover) before moving on to a different shaft diameters because the only issue now was the valve dwell hanging at peak travel.
IMG_20230531_103113.jpg

I did not expend much time with testing these because i felt the 4mm shaft would keep hanging locked at full travel most times.

The original valve stem at the rear comes with 2.5mm.
With 4mm up to 170bar not good results here.
With 3mm at 140bar didn't lock open and less hammer was needed.
3.6mm is waiting for o-rings to arrive.

More testing in the future.

Back when I was running a tool steel cocking rod, I took a dremel and made slight depressions in the shaft where the grub screws contacted the rod. I also used red loctite on the screws. That kept it from moving on that harder cocking rod. I abandoned the HSS rod when it snapped on me during a shot, lol. It did last quite a while though. I'm now using a "dual" cocking rod setup by way of a second cocking rod that terminates on the lever side of the block. That has held up for a few thousand shots at this point. It has been taking over 170 fpe repeatedly with no issues lately, fwiw. It ain't pretty, but it works.

View attachment 327313

View attachment 327314

View attachment 327315
Hello a colleague of our hobby. You did very well your Maverick visually, as well as with the changes in the design, the power of the rifle is really great in both calibers with you, you have done a great job. I also have 2 questions for you: How does this Tjay barrel group over 200 meters? I upload a picture of my grouping 225 meters with my Maverick 22 cal, 700mm heavy liner. And can you arrange a barrel for me ;) ?
Greetings: Peter from Bulgaria.

Screenshot_20231029_103020_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20231217_150956_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Hello a colleague of our hobby. You did very well your Maverick visually, as well as with the changes in the design, the power of the rifle is really great in both calibers with you, you have done a great job. I also have 2 questions for you: How does this Tjay barrel group over 200 meters? I upload a picture of my grouping 225 meters with my Maverick 22 cal, 700mm heavy liner. And can you arrange a barrel for me ;) ?
Greetings: Peter from Bulgaria.

View attachment 416644

View attachment 416645
Peter, I haven't really tried for groups at 200 meters with this setup. I only use it for hunting, so I don't shoot groups after I verify my holdovers really. It is very accurate, but all of my shooting at long range is at stuff rather than targets. I don't machine barrels for other people, because I have a small crappy lathe. It is a lot of work to do a barrel on it, so it is only worth the trouble for myself. I can tell you the Maverick(as with most any FX) really benefits from a solid barrel though. I don't know how you'd even manage to get a TJs barrel over there, but you could probably source an Alfa Precision barrel without too much trouble. I haven't tried one of their .30 barrels, but I have one of their fast twist .177 barrels that is an absolute laser with heavy slugs. Great grouping on your .22, by the way.

Is there a good reason for this power? In 30 cals is not enough 170-175 joules to do the job as needed? I'm currently preparing everything I need for 30 cal. I expect to reach 170-175 joules with a slug 60 grains.
By the way, where did this camouflage film come from? :)
Yes, I only use this gun for larger game like wild hogs etc., and never use it for target shooting other than sight in. I want maximum power for those uses, but I don't want to use a big bore. I like that I can still make the .30 really quiet, even if it is shooting at 180 fpe(244 joules) with 90 grain slugs :D I used Mossy Oak Shotgun Wrap(comes in a kit). It's tedious to do right, but it works well and can always be removed if wanted.

I'm talking about these spokes.

View attachment 417176
Most of the info you need is in reply #58. I made all of those parts from scratch, and the extra rod itself is just a section of a bent FX cocking rod that chopped to fit. That's really all of the info I have on that. 170-175 joules will definitely kill a hog, just know your anatomy and probably stick to head shots. You could do body shots on smaller ones, but be prepared for some tracking and possibly losing a hog if the shot isn't perfect. I ALWAYS take head shots on hogs myself, regardless of power. I wanted the extra power for more flexibility if I needed to take a body shot on a deer, but I still prefer head shots.

Is it possible to give me information on where I can buy such a TJ barrel in America? Data for an online store that sells them or ??? As well as foil shop data !!! Thanks in advance. :)
Sorry, I was out of town for a few days... Here's the info sheet for TJs. You can try emailing them, but I don't know if they ship out of the country. They don't list the 1:16 twist .300 barrel on their sheet, but they do have one. I'm not sure what you mean by the foil shop, are you talking about the camo wrap? Just search Mossy Oak Shotgun Wrap on Amazon or google and you'll find it.

GKiAsYF.jpg

tCM21kc.jpg

Да, намерих ги Моси Оак но не виждам да продават подготвено на парчета фолио конкретно за маверик. Благодаря ти много за информацията за тиджей цевите, ще се опитам да се свържа с тях. Весели празници ти пожелавам, и успешна нова година.

Ахааа, сега вече картината ми е ясна, много ти благодаря, ще разгледам различни разцветки фолио и ще се поръча. Благодаря ти за всичко приятел, бъди здрав. Весело посрещане на новата година.
IMG_20231226_214122.jpg

п. с. Това е Маверик вп който моделирах на мой приятел в Маверик Супер Снайпер с 800 мм хеви лайнер. Задния регулатор изчезна и сложихме голям пленум, 170 бара регулатор, с волфрамов чук, слъгове 60 грейна летят с 313 м/сек в това студено време 15 градуса по Целзий. При 25-30 градуса скоростта ще бъде 325-327 м/сек. ;)

Reactions: Rallyshark
The original valve stem at the rear comes with 2.5mm.
With 4mm up to 170bar not good results here.
With 3mm at 140bar didn't lock open and less hammer was needed.
3.6mm is waiting for o-rings to arrive.

More testing in the future.
Just to summarise the valve testing and to put an end in using rallyshark full beans thread i can say a valve shaft of 3.7mm is about the more balanced you can go with a maverick valve and only if using a valve return spring with preload close to the original one.

Just for sake of completion i must say all the different valves i tested at beginning were using a 6mmOD and 0.3mm thickness 316L wire so they couldn't be directly comparable to the original because i was already introducing a change that worked well with the original valve but was creating a problem with the more balanced ones-- being not enought preload to close the valve back if little pressure was behind it causing valve to blow open temporarily.(not enough energy in the spring to overcome o-ring stiction on it's own).
The original valve return spring solved this though I'm still using a weaker one at the moment but i still use an adjustable one like the impact.

Needed around 5mm hammer pre-load for 170bar pressure with 800mm .25 barrel but there are drawbacks to using this type of valve experience by me and said by others.

@nervoustrig recently posted something that matched my testing and that i couldn't put so eloquently in words. Big thumbs up for this guy, for everything i have red from him, he knows his stuff and says things to the point.
-------------------------------------------------
"A balanced valve does not produce more power at lower pressure. A balanced valve is simply easier to knock open…easier to develop a given amount lift and dwell with a lighter hammer and/or spring. This advantage comes at a price, however. Relative to a conventional valve, balanced valves are more sensitive to inevitable variations in hammer strike, more sensitive to pressure variations related to regulator linearity and temperatures changes, and more susceptible to a slow first shot due to O-ring stiction (breakaway friction of the O-ring which seals the balance chamber).

As such, I am of the opinion that a balanced valve is best suited for energy levels somewhere north of 100fpe. In that role, they really shine. For everything else, a conventional valve is hard to beat for its simplicity, tuneability, reliability, and consistency."
------------------------------------------

The point of this testing was to use less hammer so that more flow area is available for larger calibers by not needing a thick valve stem around throat area. Done. Happy mostly with what I learned and that there are some people who have good info around this forum and are humble and patient enough to share.

Здравейте. Извинете за необичайния въпрос, но къде трябва да уплътнява клапана към седлото си, металната му част или тази от Делрин ???
При мен има за ремонт една дива котка в 22 калибър, определено се докосват двете метални части на детайлите и не може да задържи налягане след свързване на бутилката към пушката :)

valve pin Maverick.png

Здравейте. Извинете за необичайния въпрос, но къде трябва да уплътнява клапана към седлото си, металната му част или тази от Делрин ???
При мен има за ремонт една дива котка в 22 калибър, определено се докосват двете метални части на детайлите и не може да задържи налягане след свързване на бутилката към пушката :)

View attachment 421916
I just saw this, but it is supposed to seal on the Delrin part, not metal to metal.

I just saw this, but it is supposed to seal on the Delrin part, not metal to metal.
Аз също така си мислех , но при мен има един Дриймлайн на който уплътнява метал в метал, направих нов клапан от метал и полиамид, вече няма о-пръстен на стеблото на клапана, сухите тестове за налягане са издържани, днес и утре ще се тества всичко по време на стрелба.

1 игла клапан.png