• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Maverick - does yours eat the neck of your bottle?

Here's why:

20210112_214326.1610512898.jpg

My bottle block is cock-eyed. It's also why my final reg is a pain in the rear to adjust bc it's a little too far under the pic rail.

Got tired of gouging the neck of my bottle so squared up the rifle with my camera tonight and it was pretty apparent why it's happening. Since the bottle adapter is vertically offset with the air tube, when it's not sitting square, it pushes the bottle to one side. Doesn't help that on that side of my pic rail there is a slight razer sharp lip on it from what I assume is a little milling inconsistency.

Looks like I can just degas, loosen the front air tube clamp and clock the assembly back square. Will probably file down the top of the pic rail as well this weekend.

So here's a sad face for my poor bottle. 😭

But if you struggle with keeping your Maverick from eating your bottle when unscrewing it or putting it back on...check the bottle block squareness.

Is FX not going to WARRANTY damaged bottles that have compromised structural integrity? Is it SAFE?

Lol I havent been on these forums long but how did I know you'd be the first to respond. 😂

I have an inquiry in with fx, so will find out what's up. I just wanted to put this out there so folks can at least check for this if they're running into their bottle getting gouged up. Made total sense why it's happening after I took a squared up picture of it tonight. It was a big 'doh' moment lol.

You don't even want to know the response I got when I asked why the heck it was such a challenge for me to get a hex key into the final reg adjustment...as you can see a standard hex can't seat into the reg w/o hitting the rail.

20201213_230020.1610514213.jpg

Someone posted the same thing so I unbolted the lower section and made a spacer out of blue masking tape. It gave clearance for the bottle to not dig into the rail.

Be curious to see if your bottle block is sitting square! Mine only eats my bottle on the side it's offset towards

Yes, mine does sit square. It had enough clearance when I first got it but I just gave it a little more in case the picatinny rail bends up. 

Here's why:

20210112_214326.1610512898.jpg

My bottle block is cock-eyed. It's also why my final reg is a pain in the rear to adjust bc it's a little too far under the pic rail.

Got tired of gouging the neck of my bottle so squared up the rifle with my camera tonight and it was pretty apparent why it's happening. Since the bottle adapter is vertically offset with the air tube, when it's not sitting square, it pushes the bottle to one side. Doesn't help that on that side of my pic rail there is a slight razer sharp lip on it from what I assume is a little milling inconsistency.

Looks like I can just degas, loosen the front air tube clamp and clock the assembly back square. Will probably file down the top of the pic rail as well this weekend.

So here's a sad face for my poor bottle.
1f62d.svg

But if you struggle with keeping your Maverick from eating your bottle when unscrewing it or putting it back on...check the bottle block squareness.

Hi moistone, 

If you’re having an issue with your Maverick or bottles they are both covered by manufacture warranty. Also you showed a picture of having difficulties getting to your adjustment because of the hex screw not seating correctly, you can talk to our technicians and they can help you move it so it’s more accessible. Please call into our customer service/technicians or Email us so we can help find a solution for you. Our email is [email protected] or you can call in (866) 639-0772 between 9 am – 4pm EST. 

Regards,

FX Airguns USA

Been posted earlier...

NO, Scratches in pressure vessels/bottles (carbon fiber) surface is NOT safe.

I've seen a steel bottle explode during a pressure test. Where did the metal tearing/breaking start...at the metal stamped words at the top of the bottle.

A scratched bottle MAY...not legally be able to be tested. That's what I'd look into. If you have scratches in your bottle, take it to a test location and have it tested, inspected. If they won't test it...FX BETTER make it right. Legally, they may have to.

Mine's got light scuff marks, nothing I'd call a scratch. Cannot be felt with a steel rule edge.

I also just removed the lower frame piece, and clearanced the edge. I've got about .006", as tested with two pieces of paper (about .004").

Mike

How could the bottle adapter not be aligned, isnt it screwed into the block with threads as the Royale or Crown?

The Maverick bottle adapter is screwed on the 1st plenum and the bottle adapter is free floating for alignment if adapter screwed till bottom out the alignment will over travel/off center and thats what you see if you under or over rotated.

1st plenum is screwed and bottom out on the 2nd plenum 

2nd plenum is screwed on the rear end adapter

Rear adapter is screw on to the rear action 

as you can tell its not like the Royale or Crown !

Ernest

How could the bottle adapter not be aligned, isnt it screwed into the block with threads as the Royale or Crown?

The Maverick bottle adapter is screwed on the 1st plenum and the bottle adapter is free floating for alignment if adapter screwed till bottom out the alignment will over travel/off center and thats what you see if you under or over rotated.

as you can tell its not like the Royale !

Ernest

Thanks ernest!

So the bottle adapter is a sep piece from the first part of the plenum.

I'll pm you as I just want to verify how the first the second part of the plenum mate up.

Ernest is right, it is an easy fix at home. I just got my Maverick back from FX for the Valve stem repair and noticed that my bottle was now scraping the rail as before it wasn't. I notice the bottle adapter was off a few degrees. I loosened the 4 allen screws for the barrel support and tightened the plenums and and bottle adapter the few degrees it needed and now it is perfectly aligned and centered. When tightening everything down make sure the barrel bands/pic rail is parallel to the rear breach block by having the barrel installed. Measure the distance from the breach face and the rear barrel support adjusting to 75mm, there is about 1mm of adjustment between the stock and barrel supports. On mine 75.5mm centered everything including the 2 stock screws.

20210111_170804.1610554724.jpg

20210111_172035.1610554742.jpg

Ernest

Thanks ernest!

I'll pm you as I just want to verify how the first the second part of the plenum mate up.

Ernest

Thanks ernest!

Here is the easy way to align the bottle adapter:

1. The gun has to be degas 

2. Loosen both screw one turn see photo—-> under the clamp is the seam between the bottle adapter and 1st plenum the clamp will tighten both parts 

ED10CAF0-F516-4710-8CF9-BA6DA354FA63.1610554408.jpeg

if holes not aligned to loosen, remove stock

3. now rotate bottle adapter to align you can eye ball or put stock on to confirm alignment if not rotate till same clearance both side of bottle, remove stock then tighten both screw reinstall stock.

Ernest

Seems to me that is you are paying $1500 or more for a gun, you shouldn't have to align anything. Seems like they could get it lined up correctly from the factory.

Totally agree, but when humans will be Human when comes to assembly expect a small amount with slightly issues, that’s expected in all the stuff we buy cheap or expensive i seen them all.

Ernest 

Seems to me that is you are paying $1500 or more for a gun, you shouldn't have to align anything. Seems like they could get it lined up correctly from the factory.

Totally agree, but when humans will be Human when comes to assembly expect a small amount with slightly issues, that’s expected in all the stuff we buy cheap or expensive i seen them all.

Ernest

Ernest,

You sir, are THE man! 

Got my final reg clocked so I can adjust without hitting my pic rail, bottle block is all square again and no gouging!!

I did clearance the rail a little with a file but bottle is nice and centered now. THANK YOU!

And to those interested, fx took care of me and is getting me another bottle so I don't have to worry about the neck being potentially compromised.