• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Fx Maverick Compact .25 arrived today with qc problems

I would be upset too, but you might want to contact FX USA before doing anything. They have an excellent reputation for walking customers through trouble shooting and sending out replacement parts quickly at no charge. Should you need to diagnose and repair a brand new pcp that cost as much as a mortgage payment? Absolutely not, but unfortunately that is the reality of the pcp world. This is a strangely unique industry where companies can charge way too much for a product and there is a normalization of customer QC responsibility. The plus side is you will have a great grasp of how your Maverick operates for future repairs or upgrades.

I would be upset too, but you might want to contact FX USA before doing anything.
I did, they are sending new regs.
This is a strangely unique industry where companies can charge way too much for a product and there is a normalization of customer QC responsibility.
Yep, starting to realize that. That's no excuse for the price. I've built my own AR-15's piece by piece so I know how they work and what to expect. If I bought an off the shelf AR-15 for $1600+ I wouldn't put up with any of this poop just because I know how to fix it.

Reactions: MongooseV8
Just an FYI on rebuilding the regulators, I just discovered that Line A20, O-ring 4x1.5 is listed as an NBR70, FX sent me a NBR90, their online chart still lists NBR 70 so....be cautious, there appears to be a reason for going to a harder o-ring, it's on the end of the piston to perhaps a wear factor. What brought this up was I thought I had every o-ring I needed for the darn guns and surprise THAT is the one that is missing from my stash, lost the package somewhere. Buying more from The O-ring Store, a 2x lifetime supply but better to have them than not.

Reactions: MongooseV8
Just an FYI on rebuilding the regulators, I just discovered that Line A20, O-ring 4x1.5 is listed as an NBR70, FX sent me a NBR90, their online chart still lists NBR 70 so....be cautious, there appears to be a reason for going to a harder o-ring, it's on the end of the piston to perhaps a wear factor. What brought this up was I thought I had every o-ring I needed for the darn guns and surprise THAT is the one that is missing from my stash, lost the package somewhere. Buying more from The O-ring Store, a 2x lifetime supply but better to have them than not.
I should probably google this again, but is there a good kit to get with all the main o-rings?

I should probably google this again, but is there a good kit to get with all the main o-rings?
Honestly, just get the chart from FX, then go to the O-ring Store and start ordering, they have minimum quantities but....they're cheap and you can get the proper hardnesses. You might be out $100 for the 20 sizes but you'll have enough for yourself and your buddies for quite a while. They do have a shelf life of 10 - 15 years

Reactions: sparker
I never even caught that before, but I am surprised those would not always have been NBR90. Typically the 90 is used where pressure is higher and that seems like it would fit that category. They use 90 for the screw in there and that is baffling why they would use the 70 on the piston.

This is the Maverick schematic that has all of the orings listed. As hogKiller said, Oring store or Orings USA are great places to order bulk. I would avoid many aftermarket places with "kits" and especially if those kits are color coded. I avoid NBR orings that are colored like they are soaked in fentanyl and Covid.

View attachment Maverick-schematic.pdf

Honestly, just get the chart from FX, then go to the O-ring Store and start ordering, they have minimum quantities but....they're cheap and you can get the proper hardnesses. You might be out $100 for the 20 sizes but you'll have enough for yourself and your buddies for quite a while. They do have a shelf life of 10 - 15 years
I ordered this morning and I just got a CALL from a HUMAN that the order was going out today. Now THAT is customer service!!!

There is a guy on eBay that puts together o-ring kits, they come well packaged and marked.
Yeah, well there is an another guy that does it BUT they never include BOTH sets for the dual regulators. oops. Even after I told the guy they were short I never received the ones I needed..Capt. O-ring. I would much rather order in bulk and KNOW I'm getting the proper hardness rings.

Yeah, well there is an another guy that does it BUT they never include BOTH sets for the dual regulators. oops. Even after I told the guy they were short I never received the ones I needed..Capt. O-ring. I would much rather order in bulk and KNOW I'm getting the proper hardness rings.
I know it’s not the most economical route, it’s just that I feel like I’m swimming in o-rings. Between the generic o-ring kits, I have some bulk o-rings, some smaller orders and gun specific oddballs. I find it easier just to order the kit. I, like many of us just have too much stuff. I have whole other hobbies stored away for I’m not sure when…time to attempt to streamline, even a little bit.

Todays FX pro tip, you can get the o-rings in 10's, 20's for the regulators, there are a ton of posts on were to buy them, FX will send you a couple..eventually. Your #2 should be under the top at pressure, it's too far out, again congratulation, you need to get heavier Belleville washers. McMaster Carr, get 50 of them. Use digital calipers, hello Harbor Freight, measuring the very edge of the washers a stack of 11 averaging .42 will give you 100 bar max, .48 will give you 75-125 bar, .53 will give you 117 bar Min., separate into piles of like sizes, you'll be better off with all the washers the same size.
Just thinking about this, Does the regulator replacement usually come with a new set of washers? Should I look into this while I'm waiting for the new regs to show up?

Just thinking about this, Does the regulator replacement usually come with a new set of washers? Should I look into this while I'm waiting for the new regs to show up?
No and the springs are random not matched, that's on you. You'll find some (numbers are for reference only) .38mm through .56mm Average about .42mm. THAT is why you need to buy 50 or 100 from McMaster-Carr, to get enough of the higher end. Polishing them is/isn't necessary, I can't prove or disprove it does anything in my experiments, it might help a little. I believe that having matched sets i.e. 11 all exactly the same is good, they all work exactly the same, sharing the load/pressure thusly responding the same. I only care about the #2 reg, unless I can't get #1 to play well, I don't shoot tournaments, just those damn ground squirrels and paper.

No and the springs are random not matched, that's on you. You'll find some (numbers are for reference only) .38mm through .56mm Average about .42mm. THAT is why you need to buy 50 or 100 from McMaster-Carr, to get enough of the higher end. Polishing them is/isn't necessary, I can't prove or disprove it does anything in my experiments, it might help a little. I believe that having matched sets i.e. 11 all exactly the same is good, they all work exactly the same, sharing the load/pressure thusly responding the same. I only care about the #2 reg, unless I can't get #1 to play well, I don't shoot tournaments, just those damn ground squirrels and paper.
What size do I buy from MC?