• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Fx Maverick cocking is gritty

It's really easy to remove the hammer, spring, probe, etc. I would remove all of that and give a good cleaning. Probably just gunked up.
May take a can of air and blow out area where the hammer and spring are housed once removed as well.
Also, inspect the cocking rod for grit, gunk or anything else 'weird'.
I'm betting if you give it a good cleaning, your problem will go away.
Also, check the little set screw on the back of the hammer adjuster.
NOTE: Be mindful of the little 3mm ball bearing on the power wheel. Easy to lose. When replacing dab a little silicone grease on the bearing and it will hold in place for reassembly.
Several youtube videos on disassembly floating around. Recommend watching one of Ernest Rowes's before doing it the first time.

Feels like there is something inside binding up the hammer doesn’t happen every time but sometimes it’s gritty throughout the throw of the cocking lever. When this happens velocities jump about 40-50 fps. Any thoughts? Going to call FX and warranty this sucker if y’all can’t help me out lol

There's a small set screw that keeps your hammer assembly from turning , sounds like it backed out. Watch a video on removing your hammer spring if I remember correct it will be the first piece that comes out. Should be an easy fix , use some blue loctite and it shouldn't happen again.

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
It's really easy to remove the hammer, spring, probe, etc. I would remove all of that and give a good cleaning. Probably just gunked up.
May take a can of air and blow out area where the hammer and spring are housed once removed as well.
Also, inspect the cocking rod for grit, gunk or anything else 'weird'.
I'm betting if you give it a good cleaning, your problem will go away.
Also, check the little set screw on the back of the hammer adjuster.
NOTE: Be mindful of the little 3mm ball bearing on the power wheel. Easy to lose. When replacing dab a little silicone grease on the bearing and it will hold in place for reassembly.
Several youtube videos on disassembly floating around. Recommend watching one of Ernest Rowes's before doing it the first time.
thanks, so I have taken it apart blown/clean it multiple times and still nothing. The gun is essentially brand new (maybe 300 pellets through it). Started happening yesterday out of the blue.

image.jpg

Reactions: Firewalker
I had the same thing happen with my Maverick Sniper. I finally just disassembled the gun most of the way and when I pulled the hammer, not hammer weight out a small piece of lead fell out of the gun.
You have to remove the trigger to get the hammer out if I recall correctly.
PS: the Maverick is a relatively easy gun to disassemble and reassemblE if you have any mechanical intuition.

I had the same thing happen with my Maverick Sniper. I finally just disassembled the gun most of the way and when I pulled the hammer, not hammer weight out a small piece of lead fell out of the gun.
You have to remove the trigger to get the hammer out if I recall correctly.
PS: the Maverick is a relatively easy gun to disassemble and reassemblE if you have any mechanical intuition.
That’s exactly what it seems like it’s the hammer part number 19039 that is the issue. It should spin freely and bounce up and down but it doesn’t.

thanks, so I have taken it apart blown/clean it multiple times and still nothing. The gun is essentially brand new (maybe 300 pellets through it). Started happening yesterday out of the blue.

View attachment 354825
You didn't pull the hammer, just the hammer weight.
That’s exactly what it was. The hammer had a large burr on it I had to file. I was so pissed I had to do it after 300 shots and had to take the whole trigger assembly apart that I forgot to take a picture to post for you guys! Cycling perfect now.
You didn't accidentally fire it with the cocking handle not fully back in position did you? A few times is fine but repeatedly will hose it bigly. I'd suggest polishing it, inside and out and the hammer weight and spring, a LIGHT coat of Mobile 1 will work miracles also. Oh and look at the bore make sure it's clean and not scored.

That’s exactly what it was. The hammer had a large burr on it I had to file. I was so pissed I had to do it after 300 shots and had to take the whole trigger assembly apart that I forgot to take a picture to post for you guys! Cycling perfect now.
Glad you found the issue and fixed it! I would call/write FX and complain. Something like that should have never passed inspection. They need to know.

Reactions: Headshots

View attachment 354825

Sorry man, that's not the hammer, that's the hammer weight. You need to take the trigger assembly off in the three pins to get to the Hammer itself.

Reactions: A_Emiliano8
My shooting partner had a similar cocking issue with his. Check the video:

That video made me immediately order a pack of m4x4 grub screws off Amazon. I've had one go loose on my Wildcat MK3 BT, but luckily didn't lose it. Never hurts to be prepared. Pack of 50 for 8 bucks. Cheap insurance.

You didn't pull the hammer, just the hammer weight.

You didn't accidentally fire it with the cocking handle not fully back in position did you? A few times is fine but repeatedly will hose it bigly. I'd suggest polishing it, inside and out and the hammer weight and spring, a LIGHT coat of Mobile 1 will work miracles also. Oh and look at the bore make sure it's clean and not scored.
I don’t think I did but as a new maverick owner it’s 100% possible and I just didn’t realize. I use to be a toolmaker so as long as the things I take apart are mechanical and not pressurized I can easily and precisely take them apart/put them back together. Going to order another hammer and prior to replacing the battered one I’m going to polish/buff them all (I’m a bit OCD with this stuff) I did put a light coating of synthetic, think it was the John Deere oil I had in the garage lol.

Reactions: GA_LeadHead
I don’t think I did but as a new maverick owner it’s 100% possible and I just didn’t realize. I use to be a toolmaker so as long as the things I take apart are mechanical and not pressurized I can easily and precisely take them apart/put them back together. Going to order another hammer and prior to replacing the battered one I’m going to polish/buff them all (I’m a bit OCD with this stuff) I did put a light coating of synthetic, think it was the John Deere oil I had in the garage lol.
In a previous life I too did precision stuff or at least I pretended to. You may wish to check your cocking handle, the thing pivots on a little shoulder bolt and ONLY that, there is a .007" gap between the bosses and the handle putting all of the strain and wear on that little bearing surface. I know what i'd like to do but...I don't have lathe available so I'm going to make a little brass shim to take up some of the gap and give the cocking handle something to ride on

That video made me immediately order a pack of m4x4 grub screws off Amazon. I've had one go loose on my Wildcat MK3 BT, but luckily didn't lose it. Never hurts to be prepared. Pack of 50 for 8 bucks. Cheap insurance.
Get away from those crap grub screws! Use Torx M4 x 6 socket heads. You can torque down on those with no fear of stripping or rounding off anything. My own wildcats snd most everyone I’ve worked on get those grub screws replaced with Torx socket heads, and locktited in!

1870CE01-7E0C-449B-BF8A-56C1DBDBDAE8.jpeg
92B31DB8-E724-45F5-9333-1D69DAFB93A7.jpeg