• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx maverick caliber choice vs sound

Looking at the maverick, will I notice a diff in sound from .25 to 30 cal with a Donny FL on the end? 

suggestions? And which Donny to make it the quietest. Shots will be at 50 and under so looking at the compact. 

ive never shot one so am wondering. I’m looking for the quietest choice between the 2. I have a buddy that has rats and pigeons that I want to hunt. The quieter the better and it doesn’t matter slugs vs pellets as both will kill equally with the game being that small. 

the sound from the muzzle depends on power and tune regardless of caliber. And bigger the moderator the quieter it will be so emperor with extension will tame just about any gun but it weights a lot. A good tune and a sumo is more than enough for most people. 

For rats and pigeon and want to be quiet then I highly recommend .177 caliper at around 700 FPS, add a Sumo it will be quieter than mouse fart. 

Shooting small game under 50y... I will forget .30 and probably .25 to, just go .22, will be quieter use less air and cheaper to shoot.

If you set on those two calibers, in theory (depends on the tune) .30cal will make more bark and bigger the caliber the bigger impact noise...got Ronnin on my Impact .25 and Tatsu on Maverick .22 and in both of my guns pellet hitting target makes more noise then the gun.

B

I would go 22cal, my maverick compact 30cal is louder then the 22s or 25 that I have and it is much louder when it hits. I get about 28 shots on the reg with how my 30 is set up. My 25 with 34grn mk2 has taken a skunk at 106yards and a few starlings at 156yards(my furthest). My 22 has taken starlings out to 111yards and is the quietest with the smallest moderator. If your shooting pigeons and rats at 50ish yards go 22, you will get more shots, it will be quieter and cost less to shoot. My 22 loves the hades out to 75 yards and that is my go to huntin setup for birds. 

☝️ All posts said above have been my experience as well between .30 .25 and .22 

the sound from the muzzle depends on power and tune regardless of caliber. And bigger the moderator the quieter it will be so emperor with extension will tame just about any gun but it weights a lot. A good tune and a sumo is more than enough for most people. 

For rats and pigeon and want to be quiet then I highly recommend .177 caliper at around 700 FPS, add a Sumo it will be quieter than mouse fart.

This is very important for many reasons, not the least of which is sound.

Another issue with the larger calibers is the amount of energy they carry on pass through. My 30 hits a starling, and hopefully stops in the tree if it doesn’t skip off through the woods. The larger calibers retain a lot more energy after passing through and go a lot further or ricochet a lot further. Luckily I’ve got a good area to shoot and can shoot the larger calibers without this worry, but I still use cation. At my old house the neighbor across the pond was shooting doves and raining shot on my truck and house. We had a talk and solved the situation.