• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX maverick barrel change

Have a maverick compact. Was toying with the idea of changing the barrel to a 600mm , not sure I want the extra 4 inches the 700 mm would extend. The question is how much power increase generally would be gained with factory settings as they are. Currently 500 mm barrel yields 42 FPE at max setting. My guess is it will bump it up to about 48FPE going to a 600mm barrel. So basically $700 for the barrel kit and bigger 480cc bottle. Is it worth the effort? Like I said, I'm simply toying with the idea. welcome comments and observations as usual , thanks.

Reactions: HogKiller
I cannot tell you is it worth the $ , but with a longer barrel you gain more speed=power, or to simplify:
Whatever projectile speed of 800 you have currently at let say 140 bars on the Reg with a short barrel, you can get the same projectile speed of 800 with 133 bars on the Reg with a long barrel. The numbers are pictorial only.
The longer the barrel is better for heavier projectiles that you want to throw out further, also quieter then a shorty.

I have a compact in 25 and it shoots the Hades 26.5 at 886 average. I am doing that with the same tune as Arlie 45 except I am at PW7. I get at least 50 shots before I am off reg. That is a full day of hunting with some plinking thrown in.
Unless you want to shoot slugs or heavier pellets I don’t see the point in the longer barrel. It may save you some air but not very much.

Not sure if it “worth” the $700. Fist what ammo and speed are you shooting? Have you try tune it differently? My preference would be a heavier ammo at the same speed to gain power, the 500mm barrel is best at 850fps and lower so if you can shoot heaviest ammo at 850fps then your power requirement can be met without spending a dime. These guns are near infinitely adjustable.

As other member has said you gain about 50fps depending on your ammo and tune for every 100mm of extra length.

Have a maverick compact. Was toying with the idea of changing the barrel to a 600mm , not sure I want the extra 4 inches the 700 mm would extend. The question is how much power increase generally would be gained with factory settings as they are. Currently 500 mm barrel yields 42 FPE at max setting. My guess is it will bump it up to about 48FPE going to a 600mm barrel. So basically $700 for the barrel kit and bigger 480cc bottle. Is it worth the effort? Like I said, I'm simply toying with the idea. welcome comments and observations as usual , thanks.
I've got a VP with the 600. 2nd reg is 106, made a VERY slight adjustment to the hammer, removed the slack and, 930 fps using the Hades in .25 and consistency improved drastically. My SD went down to about 2.1, running a Donny Shogun, groups are very nice and tight, but no hard data on that yet. Just a dead ground squirrel at 75 yards in nasty wind.

Reactions: rangur1