FX FX Maverick as 1st PCP?

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm from California and my first airgun was a Gamo Big Cat 1400. I bought it years ago and still have it. But now PCPs have caught my eye. So now I'm looking to get my first PCP and have made my way over to the FX Maverick. My first choice was the Air Venturi Avenge X. But I've seen some posts about "buy once cry once" and that sounds smart to me. Can anyone share some experience about why the Maverick would be a good or bad 1st PCP? Or what they would recommend instead? I'm looking for something that is .25. I'll be using it for hunting. And I'd like to work my way into some serious plinking. Basically I want a gun that can grow with me. Beginner friendly, but able to satisfy someone with advanced skills and knowledge.

Edit: as for distances... 50-100 but would like to be able to go farther as skills progress. And with easy access to mods and spare parts

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm from California and my first airgun was a Gamo Big Cat 1400. I bought it years ago and still have it. But now PCPs have caught my eye. So now I'm looking to get my first PCP and have made my way over to the FX Maverick. My first choice was the Air Venturi Avenge X. But I've seen some posts about "buy once cry once" and that sounds smart to me. Can anyone share some experience about why the Maverick would be a good or bad 1st PCP? Or what they would recommend instead? I'm looking for something that is .25. I'll be using it for hunting. And I'd like to work my way into some serious plinking. Basically I want a gun that can grow with me. Beginner friendly, but able to satisfy someone with advanced skills and knowledge.

Edit: as for distances... 50-100 but would like to be able to go farther as skills progress. And with easy access to mods and spare parts

NOPE!

In .22 or .30, its golden but its a huge TURD for slugs in .25.

Pellets? It's GREAT.

I have all the barrels in .25, the tunes, the ammo, no mas with .25 slugs...

Reactions: Lord Of Luck
NOPE!

In .22 or .30, its golden but its a huge TURD for slugs in .25.

Pellets? It's GREAT.

I have all the barrels in .25, the tunes, the ammo, no mas with .25 slugs...
I was planning on using pellets and eventually moving on to slugs. What do you shoot with the .30? I was looking into it but saw posts saying ammo selection is limited

Reactions: Firewalker
Hello everyone,

I've got two of them a .22 Compact and a .25 VP, both reach out on ground squirrels at 100-125 yards with pellets. Oh yeah, and welcome, to the Rabbit Hole®

Yeah, the Maverick (similar to the Wildcat) are very nice guns. I have both the Maverick, and the Wildcat.
Accurate, not pellet picky (mine anyway), easy to tune as required. easy to shoot. Parts can be found if required.

I'm not a slug shooter, in airguns anyway, that's what my firearms are for !

You won't go wrong with the Maverick.

Mike

If you are looking to buy brand new in the box you might as well spend a touch more on m3. I have both and the m3 is faster to tune and will maintain consistency over a much wider tune. M3 compact in 25 would be an awesome hunting gun. I have the compact maverick in 25 and it’s the perfect size woods gun. As far as slugs I’m not sure as I haven’t tried but AEAC on YouTube got phenomenal results with a 700 mm with Nielsen slugs.

I recommend the .30 if you have coyotes. you'll have a higher end power curve with the .30 than the .25, and you can get the .30 shooting quiet and light pellets for smaller game.

If you get the maverick, you'll save yourself a ton of time if you proactively fix the most annoying things of what's out-of-the-box broken with the maverick, which is not a small list.

Check out this youtube channel from one of the great dudes who posts here for some fixes you should do right away:

Also I recommend you ask your dealer to proactively give you the heavier newer hammer design under warranty.

Info here:

I was planning on using pellets and eventually moving on to slugs. What do you shoot with the .30? I was looking into it but saw posts saying ammo selection is limited

.30 is probably the fastest growing caliber, many more are coming to the market every day.

.30 is great for small to medium prey and pesting, long distance shooting and putting large holes in targets!

I own a Maverick and for a first pcp , I would recommend something like the fx DRS or a Daystate Huntsman and don't overlook brands like BRK , Taipan and many other nice pcps that don't need to be tuned or adjusted just shoot . If you like to tinker and have a chronograph the Maverick can use a wide range pellets or slugs and is very accurate when everything comes together. Today I was shooting my Taipan Veteran Standard and its got the power for hunting and accuracy at the bench. With only one , easy, hammer spring adjustment that will shoot a wide range of pellets. 25-35 fpe is plenty for hunting or an all around airgun.

I own a Maverick and for a first pcp , I would recommend something like the fx DRS or a Daystate Huntsman and don't overlook brands like BRK , Taipan and many other nice pcps that don't need to be tuned or adjusted just shoot . If you like to tinker and have a chronograph the Maverick can use a wide range pellets or slugs and is very accurate when everything comes together. Today I was shooting my Taipan Veteran Standard and its got the power for hunting and accuracy at the bench. With only one , easy, hammer spring adjustment that will shoot a wide range of pellets. 25-35 fpe is plenty for hunting or an all around airgun.
I like to tinker and fix things. And I don't mind learning

Reactions: Headshots
FX guns tend to have a lot of O-rings. But if you have to track down a leaky O-ring or two, and you say you like to tinker, you'll probably end up with a great understanding of how your gun works. Just be aware that with more O-rings, there's a higher probability of one leaking. Keep a rebuild kit on hand and you'll be fine.