• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX FX Maverick as 1st PCP?

I'd love to know which pellets you are using out to 125y. Mine got loose after 90y.
18.13 and 33.94. about 900fps I've had success with RMR/FX hybrids in the .22 compact and the .25 VP when the phase of the moon is right and I haven't totally messed something up. Or more recently when the original plastic reg in my .25 VP. pistons decided to die when about to go after some squirrels, front one was actually concave. I shoved in one of the original brass ones with the LONG insert, it 'worked', have the right ones now to install in both regs. I've already changed the o-rings in the front and rear, I'll be set for ground squirrel season. I've done one minute of cork with the .22 compact and the hybrids at 100 yards so it can be done. I've polished the barrels, got rid of the tight spots. Made sure I didn't have one bit of extra air leaving the muzzle.

I got two a week ago with my .25 Raptor, honestly not sure it's better than my Maverick, but I'm still tuning it but it's going to be a 1 trick pony, not adjustable like the Mavericks, which is ok. Well it sends 33.94's out at 895, it's favorite speed, and the 26 gr hybrids out about 960ish, still playing with it. the 1:18 TJH barrel seems to work ok.
IMG_2289 (1).jpeg

Reactions: Lord Of Luck
O-rings go bad fast on the FX guns?
I have 5 fx guns. Knock on wood but only 1 leak. That was do to it being run at really high pressures for heavy slugs which caused the valve to not seal at pellet pressures anymore. You might want to buy sooner than later. I know nothing but I’m wondering if a price hike is coming as I watch used stuff obsessively and Utah air put up some used guns recently priced at absurd levels. Very weird.

not on mine
Or on mine. Disclaimer I had two on the adjuster literally fall apart into pieces when I went to replace them. They are N-90's and are HARD. I use boiling water to soften them up to get them on the adjuster, I buy them in 100's, from McMaster, cheap enough. A trick I found out about is to put the housing in a few threads then put the adjuster in upside down, gives a solid platform to get those little suckers on, eases on the frustration. I lube all the 0-rings with Mobil 1, no it won't explode. flash point is WAY higher than our guns develop.

I have had a Maverick in 25 for almost 3 years now. Thousands of pellets have been shot out of the gun. Not one single O rig has failed yet. Someday one or several will, but that is true of any air gun.
The Maverick is a great gun to tinker with. Not all that complex and if you have any mechanical aptitude you should be able to completely disassemble it and put it back together after watching a couple FX Masterclass videos on it.

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm from California and my first airgun was a Gamo Big Cat 1400. I bought it years ago and still have it. But now PCPs have caught my eye. So now I'm looking to get my first PCP and have made my way over to the FX Maverick. My first choice was the Air Venturi Avenge X. But I've seen some posts about "buy once cry once" and that sounds smart to me. Can anyone share some experience about why the Maverick would be a good or bad 1st PCP? Or what they would recommend instead? I'm looking for something that is .25. I'll be using it for hunting. And I'd like to work my way into some serious plinking. Basically I want a gun that can grow with me. Beginner friendly, but able to satisfy someone with advanced skills and knowledge.

Edit: as for distances... 50-100 but would like to be able to go farther as skills progress. And with easy access to mods and spare parts
I have a maverick sniper .22 with slug power kit shooting H&N .217 30-27grain slugs with the massive hollow point at 1025fps out of the heavy liner, carbon fiber sleeve, very accurate 1/2” group at 50 and very effective at 50-150 and even further. Soda cans don’t stay in one peace at 50 with those slugs. My tune Frist reg-200 sec-160 power wheel on 7 internal screw to where I get 1025fps I get about 60-70 shots per fill, with slugs don’t try low reg pressure it will just frustrate you, you get inconsistent groups all day. Unless you you shoot the 21-23grain out of the standard liner, then you can run it at lower reg pressure just fine. The maverick is definitely a great choice.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I'm from California and my first airgun was a Gamo Big Cat 1400. I bought it years ago and still have it. But now PCPs have caught my eye. So now I'm looking to get my first PCP and have made my way over to the FX Maverick. My first choice was the Air Venturi Avenge X. But I've seen some posts about "buy once cry once" and that sounds smart to me. Can anyone share some experience about why the Maverick would be a good or bad 1st PCP? Or what they would recommend instead? I'm looking for something that is .25. I'll be using it for hunting. And I'd like to work my way into some serious plinking. Basically I want a gun that can grow with me. Beginner friendly, but able to satisfy someone with advanced skills and knowledge.

Edit: as for distances... 50-100 but would like to be able to go farther as skills progress. And with easy access to mods and spare parts
I have several FX and one BRK. I started pcp with Avenger and quickly upgraded to FX. Don't own Impact because I like the interchangeable magazines for Maverick Wildcat and Dreamline. I have played with friends Impacts and they're clearly more refined than Maverick. If I were to start over, I would get an Impact as my first pcp. I would not worry too much about caliber if you go with FX. caliber change is easy. I started with 22 and now have 4 calibers. 22 remains to be my goto choice. In fact I have 3 guns in 22 right now. Tried slugs and didn't like the hassle mostly because I dont have a 200 yard deep backyard. Also BRK is not to be overlooked, perhaps not as versatile as FX but highly enjoyable and more solid. Economic choices such as Avenge are great but if you're prepared to dive into this endless pit, financially, I'd go with a premium brand for a better experience. I sold my Avenger to a friend for less than half what I paid. He is happy but I think it was an unnecessary detour for me.

O-rings go bad fast on the FX guns?
No the O-rings don’t go bad fast on FX guns.
I have two FX rifles. Crown .30, Royal .177, and have never had any issues and the Royal is my oldest rifle, about five years old and absolutely no issues whatsoever.
FX is a great choice in my opinion.
Then again you see the value in “ buy once and cry once “ so I’m going to suggest checking out the RedWolf HP in .25 cal.
I have a RedWolf HP in .177 and it’s by far my favorite long range rifle using the 13.43 knockout slugs.
And the electronic trigger is the best trigger I’ve ever experienced.
But I also love the .30 Crown, it’s not stock anymore and was tuned for power by Allen Zasadny. It makes 78 fpe with the 44.75 JSB pellets, and it’s very accurate too.
Not as accurate as the RedWolf, but very very close.
I think the .177 RedWolf is simply easier to shoot for me. No recoil with the .177 and quite a bit of recoil in the Crown .30
but a lot of knock down power.
The picture of the five shot group on the brown steel was at 75 yards, the dent it made in the 10 gauge steel was impressive.
Good luck with your search!

IMG_3754.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg

No, FX makes good guns, but with tons of o rings. I think my friend said the impact had like 55 o rings and the maverick about 35. Whereas Taipan has 6. The maverick is a good gun, just seems maintainence heavy to me.
Yeah, I'm forced to change out a few reg o-rings on occasion. All o-rings die, not a matter of if, it's when. Mavs look complicated, they aren't really too bad....as long as you've got the space for the parts. :censored:

If you are looking to buy brand new in the box you might as well spend a touch more on m3. I have both and the m3 is faster to tune and will maintain consistency over a much wider tune. M3 compact in 25 would be an awesome hunting gun. I have the compact maverick in 25 and it’s the perfect size woods gun. As far as slugs I’m not sure as I haven’t tried but AEAC on YouTube got phenomenal results with a 700 mm with Nielsen slugs.
Trucker3573 if maverick compact still available message me a contact number

Yeah, I'm forced to change out a few reg o-rings on occasion. All o-rings die, not a matter of if, it's when. Mavs look complicated, they aren't really too bad....as long as you've got the space for the parts. :censored:
Just an FYI on this subject. The Regulator Rodsin the regulator, it holds the Belleville washers, the first ones were plastic, then they came out with Brass BUT the center piece was raise up about a MM or so and is too high, the newer ones are just above the brass and I mean JUST, you have to look hard to see it, THEY work great. I set my front reg to 150/155 and my rear to 120, pushing the 33.95's at 880 and a SD of 2.4, on #7, turned the HSA down to 5 and 26gr RMR/FX Hybrids are perking along at 926 with a SD at 2.6 and reasonable groups at 30 yards. I have to reset the Hammer Micro a bit to tighten them up but it's looking promising.

I've attached a photo of the three Regulator Rods, Left is the original plastic, middle is the one they shipped as a replacement, Right is the one they install now, or should, make sure you have the proper Regulator Rod. I've got several of the middle one's, I'm going to start sanding them down, be nice if I had a lathe but.....it'll have to be by hand.

IMG_2768.jpeg

Last edited:
I would say yes, the Maverick is a good choice for your first. I would suggest either a 22Cal or 25Cal Compacts if you ever plan to walk around while hunting. If you are going to be shooting from a fixed position the longer versions can be better. But you can make solid hits out to +100yds with slugs and some pellets with the shorter barrels without too much effort. I have been using my 22Cal Impact Compact as a dual purpose setup. I sling the 15.9g FX Atomics at about ~1030fps and the 17.5g Nielsen slugs at about ~950fps without changing any settings. Not all rifles will shoot slugs well, but just about all of them will do great with pellets. If you think coyotes are in your future a 25Cal is the better option. You can use the lighter FX Atomic pellets for smaller game and throw in some light Nielsen or H&N slugs for the predators.

Side note: if you dont plan to use attachments like a bipod or side mounted light, I think the Wildcat is the better choice. A bit lighter, and the ergos are simply amazing for a walk around setup. Otherwise a Maverick or Impact are great first/last pcps.

I'm running my second reg at 98 bar and using 26g apolo monsters with a 13g hammer . One of the better strings I've tuned . .22 cal VP w 600mm barrel. It was getting smoother towards the end. A small 300cc carbon fibre tank should get the hunting weight down to 7lbs or less plus all the benefits of a longer barrel. Was my reasoning for the VP anyways. Plus , for the price difference you get 2 tanks.

Screenshot_20240315-185513_FX Radar.jpg
Screenshot_20240315-185529_FX Radar.jpg
Screenshot_20240315-185559_FX Radar.jpg

Last edited: