• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Maverick a Fail?

For hunting, yes. Targets or plinking, 30 yards and in, I'd say 12-15fpe. I'd say more power the further out you go.
Yup, choosing the right power for the job is important.

For pesting and hunting I prefer 16 or 18 grain pellets which seem to shoot best at 30 to 33 fpe. Because pesting and hunting often requires off hand shooting I like to practice with those PCPs as much as possible so I do a most of my plinking with them.

For target shooting (and some plinking) I like my .177 springers and 10 meter airguns.

Just getting into long range (128 yards and less for me) shooting so I have a couple of .22 caliber, 50 to 60 fpe airguns.

If I need more power I'll resort to powder burners - rimfires or centerfires as required. 🙂

As I said, 30 fpe is my sweet spot. Have 5 PCPs (with a 6th on order) at that power level which is perfect for 80% of my applications.

Cheers!

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Well TBH as always, with the newer stuff around, i would look at that instead of the maverick.

My .177 Maverick ( modified VP ) came with a low power setting for damn sure, on Hammer #7 and the factory 90 bar it shot 13.43 gr MRD pellets at 570 - 580 FPS, but mind you it was like a laser at 50 M distance.
Just the problem i did not get a FAC rifle to pretend to be a blowpipe, but going up in speed it shot all pellets like garbage, aside for the Beasts

I now shoot +900 FPS with a 700 mm barrel and 65 - 75 BAR on the regulator, though it do seem like for some speeds i have to go up in REG pressure and so bang on valve lock to get the rifle to shoot slower,,,,, which just boggle my mind CUZ i also run a aftermarket heavier brass hammer weight.
Anyway 10 - 100 M distance ( pellets > 10 gr - slugs 13 gr ) = enjoyable for sure, at least when i sit down i soon tear thru 800 shots, and really 1200 shots are no problem on a good long sunny summer day.

Mind you there are still some Grrrrrr :mad: going on while i shoot, but i also set very high standarts for myself, and due to my messed up childhood i am ultra self - critic at least on many things, and of course that also go for other people, hence why i just have 1 friend for instance.

Last edited:
I love my .25 maverick. The AEAC maverick tuning video really turned the lights on for me. I have been able to tune almost every brand of slug I have purchased. 68 whiskey is a great source as well. Just learning how to fine tune and balance properly produces phenomenal results.The gun is just amazing. Upgraded to saber tactical trs rail as well as 700mm slug barrel, slug power kit. I average 80- 96 shots with nsa 26.8-29.5 at 880-980fps. 64+ shots at 1000-1042. Dynamite accuracy at 50-130 yards. 33- 42 grain slugs are just laser beams. Have not tried long distance shooting as of yet, but 68 whiskey has proven it can be done. Great job Keith and Norm. Do I want an Impact, yes. Do I need an Impact,no. I have a maverick which I think is a great success.