FX Maverick a Fail?

I know this may bring out the FX haters and that's not really the intent, but some time back, I saw a post where someone referred to the Maverick as a 'fail'.

I have 5 Impacts and a Maverick currently. I've never felt the need to 'upgrade' my .30 Maverick to an Impact and it has been trouble free 100%. Perhaps the comment was a one off, but I'm genuinely curious if others see the Maverick as a fail or what shortcomings it may have; especially compared with the Impact. Seems a solid gun to me.

The compact 177 I had broke in the first few weeks. Fixed by FX. I was shooting 10.5 gr pellets at 860ish fps, no crazy power tunes. The valve pin bent and damaged everything around it. Once it was back I began my journey using it shooting the 30 yard challenge. It would perform well one day, then I started getting POI shifts. I tried extra o rings to support the barrel, move them around, all that. I tried torquing everything the same for consistency. I didn’t want to spend more money on it. I wasn’t a fan of the trigger. I had a Cricket Tactical II also at the time, so the trigger was a direct comparison side by side to a good trigger.
As a hunter / plinker the rifle would have been fine, I bought it to shoot the 30 yard challenge. It wasn’t meant for that.
I don’t think it’s a great platform for conservative tunes using 177 pellets.

I’m not an FX hater, if a Royale 400 22 comes up I will try and buy it. The FX Maverick just didn’t fit my needs.

The compact 177 I had broke in the first few weeks. Fixed by FX. I was shooting 10.5 gr pellets at 860ish fps, no crazy power tunes. The valve pin bent and damaged everything around it. Once it was back I began my journey using it shooting the 30 yard challenge. It would perform well one day, then I started getting POI shifts. I tried extra o rings to support the barrel, move them around, all that. I tried torquing everything the same for consistency. I didn’t want to spend more money on it. I wasn’t a fan of the trigger. I had a Cricket Tactical II also at the time, so the trigger was a direct comparison side by side to a good trigger.
As a hunter / plinker the rifle would have been fine, I bought it to shoot the 30 yard challenge. It wasn’t meant for that.

I’m not an FX hater, if a Royale 400 22 comes up I will try and buy it. The FX Maverick just didn’t fit my needs.
I loved my .25 Maverick, it was great, but i did not have it long due to unforseen circumstances. If you are looking for a 30yd or 50yd challenge gun, you should look into the dreamline series. Now it is long as hell, but damn I have not had a more accurate rifle. This shot string shows a little consistency. Lol, the first shot is immediately after adjusting the reg for the NSA 17.5g slugs. It does the same with jsb 18.1s as well.

Screenshot_20231108_095158_FX Radar.jpg

FX, Isn't that an abrieviation for fix?
Had a crown for idk 6yrs maybe. Had to replace the oring inside the bottle valve that seals to the bottle adapter. It'll rip under higher pressure if you repeatedly remove the bottle like this without lube. Common sense, really. Deburred the hammer spring. 10s of thousands of rounds thru it. 👌 still laser accurate. Got a 380mm 22 pellet barrel, 500mm superior, 500mm st, 600mm superior 30 cal. All shooters. Got a ranchero as well, and it loves .177 cphps. No issues with it. Just shoots.

Reactions: Scotay42
I've had my .25 Mav Sniper for a couple years and it's my favorite rifle. I have a few others ( Kalibrgun Cricket, AGT Vulcan, Benjamin Marauder ) which are all good guns but I enjoy shooting the Maverick most.
I have my eye on an Impact in the classifieds but with winter approaching, if I buy now, it may sit until Spring anyway so should I just wait until Spring to buy???? ..... Decisions Decisions....

Reactions: Scotay42
I loved my .25 Maverick, it was great, but i did not have it long due to unforseen circumstances. If you are looking for a 30yd or 50yd challenge gun, you should look into the dreamline series. Now it is long as hell, but damn I have not had a more accurate rifle. This shot string shows a little consistency. Lol, the first shot is immediately after adjusting the reg for the NSA 17.5g slugs. It does the same with jsb 18.1s as well.

View attachment 404288
I bought a Huntsman Revere Safari 177 and am thoroughly enjoying it.

At least in my limited experience in tuning them, I would say that would be the case with the Impact as well. I fought for a while to get a low powered tune on my Impact in .177 and finally settled on a 15fpe tune with it and stuck a fork in it.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
30ish fpe is the .22 caliber sweet spot for me.

For hunting, yes. Targets or plinking, 30 yards and in, I'd say 12-15fpe. I'd say more power the further out you go.
I'm loving .177 at 13-14 fpe and .22 around 18-20 fpe. Both do just about everything I need. I'm not saying I don't love more power at times, but it's just pleasant to shoot in this range.

I'm loving .177 at 13-14 fpe and .22 around 18-20 fpe. Both do just about everything I need. I'm not saying I don't love more power at times, but it's just pleasant to shoot in this range.
One thing that sets my Crown apart is it is happy to shoot at any power level. Its behavior and character seems completely unaffected. Most guns become touchy, or rougher around the edges when really turned up. Personally, I just prefer to not sling lead at 600 miles per hour most of the time. But for game, there is no such thing as too humane of a kill. You're right, though. Those power levels are plenty effective for most things you'd possibly use them for.

Reactions: EdinGa