• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Maverick .30 Sniper Velocity

I have a new .30 Maverick Sniper. I contacted FX USA and was told that there is not a slug power kit for this Airgun. The specifications list the Airgun as capable of 116fpe with the power kit. The most I am able to get out of my Airgun is about 94fpe. FX responded to my question about the FPE and said I should be able to get 119 FPE stock out of the 700mm sniper. Can any .30 Maverick owners tell me what the are getting out of their guns? Mine pushes 44.75 ammo at 955 FPS which is the highest I have been able to tune it. My regs are at 150/125. Any higher reg pressure and velocity drops because the hammer spring will not overcome the valve.

Thanks

Huma-Air has the Power kit for the Maverick/Wildcat in stock, I ordered one a week ago and got it in 3 days. It comes with an adjustable pin probe for .22/.25 but also comes with a heavier hammer weight that will help you with .30cal. Combine that kit with the Heavier Spring they also have available... Waa Laa .30cal Power Kit

Tom

2 Items to bring out at the front of my response:

1) My Mav .30 came from Baker Airguns as a 'demo' model, so I cannot say whether I received it at factory settings;
2) I was happy with the power it was making out of the box, so I have not tried at all to tune it (other than getting chrony and accuracy numbers at different hammer spring pre-load wheel settings).

My gun is also making a maximum 94 FPE at the muzzle with 44.75's (muzzle velocity of 972 fps) at HS=7. But I'm shooting mine on HS=6 since I found accuracy to be better at that lower muzzle velocity (946 fps).

My gun makes a maximum 95 FPE at the muzzle with 50.15's (muzzle velocity of 925 fps) at HS=7, and the gun seems most accurate with this pellet at this muzzle velocity (of the various velocities I have tested).

My Reg #2 pressure reads ~135 bar. I have no clue as to what my Reg #1's pressure is set to as the gun is shooting so well for me that I have not attempted any additional tuning. Not even any fine tuning of the hammer spring pre-load.

So I don't know whether this helps you in any way, but the above are the numbers for my Mav .30.

My .30 Maverick is moving the 44.8gr FX pellets up to 1035fps with power wheel at 7. I have the .22/25 power kit installed and regs are set at 180 and 160 respectively. I normally shoot slugs only but had to dial the power wheel down to 5 and have the 44.8gr going 1015fps and they group very well at 35 and 50 yards.

I have been waiting on NSA to get back up and running to order their slugs so I can keep the slugs at 950fps and above. You need to adjust your regulator pressures up and then use the adjustment screw on the power wheel until you find the highest fps on 7 and then try to adjust using the power wheel.. I also installed the Huma-Air .30 cal slug probe. 

Although I haven't hit that 116ft/lb number I'm getting close. I only hunt from roughly 75 yards and in so I haven't tried groups at 100yards but at 75 yards and in this is more than capable at taking game...

18.13:

I did adjust the hammer spring.

TDhouser1964:

That is exactly what I did and received my parts today ( probe and spring at Huma’s recommendation no hammer). I also have a dual barrel transfer port from Rowe on the way.

Sounds like mine is in the ballpark velocity wise so I do not know where FX is getting their 119 FPE figures from. Since the gun is under warranty and only has about 80 rounds through it I am going to shoot it more before I add parts..

Ram2jeep:

That is what I was hoping to get out of mine. FX told me the .30 cal already has the heavier hammer weight from the power kit in it. I would be interested to know if the power kit hammer weight is heavier than the stock one on the .30. I have had several different answers but none from someone who actually weighed them to see if they are different or the same.

As far as slugs go, NSA and Varmint Knocker are the ones I have tried but VK only has 50gr and we all know NSA is filling back orders and once they get back up I'll get their heavier slugs and see where I'm at. 

When I do my next cleaning I'll weigh the hammer so we can see the difference between the slug power kit and the regular one. I bought my Maverick as a .25 compact but as I have multiple FX rifles it is easy to change calibers. I had to send my M3 in for repairs so I didn't want to miss hunting season because of not having enough power. The .30 with the huma dual transfer seems to be more than adequate and up to the task. 
Adjusting is the biggest thing to do. I saw my fps go down when I increased reg pressure so i turned the adjustment down and then my fps went up. Once it started to go back down I knew I had it dialed in. Whenever you change the pressure you need to adjust the hammer. Another way was I noticed when I increased reg pressure and the fps went down but when I turned the power wheel down the fps went up; that's when you know you need to use the adjustment.

Just received my 50gr slugs from Varmint Knocker. Here are the results with power wheel on 7 with exact same settings as above:

9C5B8355-6677-436A-A961-A1A1187D315A.1630357785.png

Now these are just fps and have nothing to do with groups which I will get to on Thursday; first day I will be able to get to the range to see how they group. I'm also going to try and get the spread down lower by doing some very minor adjustments to the power wheel. These slugs are moving!!!

That is exactly where I was hoping my Maverick would be shooting at. I think with a few small modifications to increase air flow and make the valve open longer/wider I will be able to get there. I have the slug probe and tuning spring from Huma based on your mods I think that may do it. When I get them installed I will post the results it just may be awhile.

Thanks again for all the info it really helps..

Get the slug kit from Huma, and shoot a heavy grain slug. I prefer Nsa Slugs they work well with the previous fx I had used.

I hear you and NSA makes multiple weight slugs in .30 but at this moment they are still down for purchase; all the .30 still say sold out. NSA is workings on their back orders and then will start selling again. I have a email notification set for when they start selling again. And, did exactly what you are suggesting in reference to slug kit and added the dual port transfer. 

Has anyone noticed/seen that AirGun Depot is selling(preorder) a slow twist .30 superior liner. Supposed to be better for long range shooting...

When i made the switch to .22 i set the regs to 110/70 (heavier hammer weight helps keeping the valve open long enough with low reg pressure) 

Increased shot count immensely and was pellet on pellet at 75 and half inch groups at 100

JSB exact jumbo heavy 18.13 grain @ 880fps

Obviously every pellet and gun is different and may require variations in tune, but this worked for me, hopefully it helps you find the sweet spot

My advice for anyone that wants it is, pick a pellet, stick with it, clean and sort them, hit them with a little spray of silcone lubricant, clean your barrel after every 300-500 shots, the gun will settle, if its not working change pellet but you cant go wrong with JSB 18.13 or the FX variant 

Hope i was some help to someone

@bigmike, Here are actual weights of the 11g and 13g hammers from FX. "Slug power kits" I have seen can be with a replacement hammer or washer weights to add. Additional spring preload will also be part of the equation with the added weight. FX will ship you the 13g in the SPK. I decided to make a 12g hammer from a 13g for the heck of it and have it in my .30 Maverick Sniper tuned to shoot the 44.8 FX pellets @910 on PW 7 regs set to 140/105 HS set to 4.1mm. 82fpe will do nasty things to whatever it hits well beyond 100yds, and accurately I might add. I have the Ernest TP and have modified my probe as well.

11G.1639179843.jpg

12G.1639179853.jpg

13G.1639179861.jpg

Thanks 2L8. I have the 13gr hammer. I am waiting for another 700mm barrel kit I have on order. When it arrives I am going to install a Ernest Rowe dual transfer port, a pin probe and a Huma Air hammer spring and see where it puts me. My gun will tune to 965-970 FPS stock so I am hoping with the additions it will get me over the 1005fps with 44.8gr pellets I am looking for. I want the gun to produce 100 foot lbs of energy.