Tuning FX Maverick .22 Sniper Tune for FX/JSB 25.39 grain

I posted this for a friend.

In talking to RapidAirWorx about the R.A.W. HM1000x LRT .22 before I bought my BRK Ghost, they said it comes tuned to shoot a 25.39 grain pellet at approximately 960 fps. My Ghost .22 HP came from the factory shooting the 25.39 about 973 fps. I turned it down to about 960 fps and it's a laser. And in watching a video review on the new Skout Epoch the other night, it said the .22 Epoch would get its best groups running a 25.39 between 950 and 960 fps.

In shooting USBR targets against each other at 50 yards, his Maverick running the JSB 18.13 at about 880 fps couldn't keep up with my Ghost running the 25.39 at 960 fps, as his 18.13 seemed to be getting pushed a little more by the wind. So, he wants to try the 25.39 at 960 fps to see if it works better for him. He's experienced with airguns, but new to his Maverick and FX in general. So, he's looking for tips on pressures for his two regs, hammer spring tension, etc.

Reactions: oledawg
The most important thing to know is that it's not as simple as setting a reg pressure. Each gun is unique. Tuning will be required. If you/he has never tuned before, some research will be required. I did not find tuning the Maverick hard to learn, YMMV.

For a reference point:
I shoot the 25.39's from my 600mm .22 barrel, 915 fps with good accuracy.
Regs @ 150 / 117
I have the mid-sized hammer weight (9 grams?). With the small (7 gram?) HW i had a hard time getting the 25's to shoot well and the 34 grains wouldn't get up past low 800's.

I actually don't like this ammo and am switching to a higher caliber. I'm shooting n50 so accuracy and consistency are very important to me. Consistency being the main issue with the 25 grain "MRDs".

You can try FX, but I wouldn't have high expectations. There are pro's who will tune guns for a charge.

You can't just change the regulator and expect to get the desired result. The pressure and the hammer need to be balanced and each gun is different. Every little aspect of your gun effects your results. Barrel length and twist, transfer port, hammer weight... My gun is different from yours is different from the next.

I've shot the RDMs up to 960 happily as well.
The key with the Maverick is to balance the HS/HW with the reg pressure. There are a number of threads on here which are helpful. Some good videos on youtube as well.

...in fact, here. Try the attached word.doc I worked up when researching tuning.

View attachment Maverick Tune.docx

I posted this for a friend.

In talking to RapidAirWorx about the R.A.W. HM1000x LRT .22 before I bought my BRK Ghost, they said it comes tuned to shoot a 25.39 grain pellet at approximately 960 fps. My Ghost .22 HP came from the factory shooting the 25.39 about 973 fps. I turned it down to about 960 fps and it's a laser. And in watching a video review on the new Skout Epoch the other night, it said the .22 Epoch would get its best groups running a 25.39 between 950 and 960 fps.

In shooting USBR targets against each other at 50 yards, his Maverick running the JSB 18.13 at about 880 fps couldn't keep up with my Ghost running the 25.39 at 960 fps, as his 18.13 seemed to be getting pushed a little more by the wind. So, he wants to try the 25.39 at 960 fps to see if it works better for him. He's experienced with airguns, but new to his Maverick and FX in general. So, he's looking for tips on pressures for his two regs, hammer spring tension, etc.
Would be nice if your friend joined

Reactions: KodiakJac
You can try FX, but I wouldn't have high expectations. There are pro's who will tune guns for a charge.

You can't just change the regulator and expect to get the desired result. The pressure and the hammer need to be balanced and each gun is different. Every little aspect of your gun effects your results. Barrel length and twist, transfer port, hammer weight... My gun is different from yours is different from the next.

I've shot the RDMs up to 960 happily as well.
The key with the Maverick is to balance the HS/HW with the reg pressure. There are a number of threads on here which are helpful. Some good videos on youtube as well.

...in fact, here. Try the attached word.doc I worked up when researching tuning.

View attachment 393954

Thanks @Reg Creep ! I've saved your doc and sent it on to him! :)(y)

Matching the hammer spring and reg pressure is quite easy actually. You just need to find the second reg pressure that will yield the velocity you want. I personally would run those pellets slightly slower. I would run down at 910-920. It will just be a little trial and error. I would first make sure your barrel is oriented to the dual transfer port and not the single. While I have not personally messed with 22 or a 700 mm barrel I would probably start with a second reg of around 110. The tuning will require a chrono. Turn the power wheel to 7 and shoot several shots over the chrono. Then turn the wheel to tune and insert a 1.5 mm Allen key in there and turn that internal screw counter clockwise a half turn. Put the wheel back on 7 and shoot several more shots over the chrono. You are looking for a speed increase from the previous setting. You basically repeat this process until no further increase in speed is seen. When you reach that point you are at the balance point between hammer strike and reg pressure. If the speed you are seeing isn’t where you want then you have to bump the reg pressure up a bit and repeat the whole process. When doing this just make sure the adjustments you make with the Allen are small. Also make sure you shoot a good four to five shots over the chrono to give new settings a chance to settle in. Finally, keep in mind the Maverick isn’t a fast resetting gun so give a good 5-7 seconds between each shot so you ensure the plenum refills completely.

Thanks @Trucker3573 I'll make sure he reads your posted information. It certainly seems like getting a 25.39 up to 960 with the Maverick is possible. And as you mention, he may find a slower speed actually shoots better in the wind. Before I bought my Ghost, I also looked pretty closely at the Maverick. And it certainly seemed like it was a powerful airgun capable of more than just backyard plinking at low velocity (y)

Thanks @Trucker3573 I'll make sure he reads your posted information. It certainly seems like getting a 25.39 up to 960 with the Maverick is possible. And as you mention, he may find a slower speed actually shoots better in the wind. Before I bought my Ghost, I also looked pretty closely at the Maverick. And it certainly seemed like it was a powerful airgun capable of more than just backyard plinking at low velocity (y)
Yeah without a doubt. I imagine the maverick will do it. To get that speed he may possibly need the .25 cal hammer weight but that is an easy change if need be

My Maverick 22 sniper is tuned to shoot the NSA 27.5gr slugs at about 970 fps at about 123bar and PW7. On PW4, it shoots the 25.39 Knockouts at the same speed using the same scope zero. Why would I want to shoot these slugs at this speed you might ask. Low sd,es, And Flys flat and straight even in breezy conditions.

Hi Larry,

Great information. What is your first reg pressure set at? Which weight hammer are you using? Which hammer spring are you using?

Thanks!

Hi Larry,

Great information. What is your first reg pressure set at? Which weight hammer are you using? Which hammer spring are you using?

Thanks!
I have an 11.42gram hammer and the standard 56mm spring bottle reg is 150 and working reg is about 123. While checking the hammer spring I compared my 22 caliber hammer spring to my 30 caliber hammer spring of the same length both springs 56mm but the 30 spring seemed noticeably stiffer.

I have an 11.42gram hammer and the standard 56mm spring bottle reg is 150 and working reg is about 123. While checking the hammer spring I compared my 22 caliber hammer spring to my 30 caliber hammer spring of the same length both springs 56mm but the 30 spring seemed noticeably stiffer.

Thanks, Larry! That is great info and just what we were looking for! (y)

Looking for tuning suggestions for an FX Maverick .22 Sniper 700mm to shoot a FX/JSB 25.39 grain pellet between 950 and 960 fps.

Thanks!
I have a 22 sniper and a 30 sniper both Mavericks. On the 22, I tuned it to shoot the NSA 27.5gr slugs PW 7. The NSA shoot at 966fps working reg is about 125 bar. The ES is 8 and SD is3 very accurate and quiet. The JSB Knockouts 25.39 shoot on PW3 974fps ES 17 SD6. Same scope zero for both. Again very quiet and accurate. The NSA are .2175. Which is the nominal size for my barrel bore. The 30 Maverick I tuned to shoot the 50.15gr JSB Knockouts on PW7 working reg about 165bar. 947fps es19 sd5. Also, on same pw7 shooting NSA 47.2gr at 969fps es5. Even with the low es and sd for the knockouts, the NSA shoot way better. On a 56.6 yard zero, my first 5 shots went through a .5 “
Bullseye. And the 30 is quiet also. Took out a 12 pound groundhog at 65yds with the NSAs and the 30cal. Now what’s weird is that the NSAs shoot better in the 30 than the 22 and the knockouts shoot real good in the 22 but not so well in the 30.