• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Maverick 160cc plenum

M

Member 32425

Ernest Rowe has an FX Maverick that he has removed the 2nd regulator and plenum tube from and replaced the 2nd regulator tube with just a hollow tube. So there is only 1 regulator (the 1st reg next to the bottle tank) and everything from there back to the valve is all one big plenum (160cc). I'm interested in doing the same thing, but I haven't found any hollow tubes that could be used in place of the stock plenum/regulator section.

Anyone got info about where to get this part? Maybe there's a video out there that shows how to do it that I haven't found.

grungy

It’s more than likely a 34mm tube out of the wildcat platforms, possibly the compact versions. I’m just guessing with all of this, but one end would have to be cut and rethreaded, probably the end closest the the wildcats regulator vent hole, or maybe an inserted plenum tube with exterior o rings at each end to take up the space the wildcats reg once was in, so air wouldn’t leak out the vent hole.

Like I said, just guessing.

Reactions: TwoLoe88
Hi DaveyH and TwoLoe88. I think you guys are correct about that section being part number 20268.

Where I saw this gun was in a youtube video called "FX Maverick, FX AMP regulator reseal & reassembly" by Earnest Rowe. The video is not about the gun I'm talking about. It just starts with Ernest holding this gun. He said it's his Maverick benchrest gun with a 160cc plenum. In the comments section he mentions that he gets more power and smaller extreme spread. I'm not trying to duplicate the entire gun that has lots of mods, but a 160cc plenum and it's potential benefits looks like something that could be done just by swapping one part.

I stopped the video when he was holding the rifle just to try to figure out which part he used to replace the reg section of tube with a hollow tube. I now see that it IS longer than the normal length of reg tube section. So I think two sections of the standard Maverick plenum are just screwed together (fx part number 20268).

grungy

Maybe try opening the existing 2nd reg wide open which should put it’s set point higher than the first reg and see if it gives you the power and speedy follow up you are looking for before you make any other changes - just a thought👍🏻
Thanks DaveyH for the idea. I wish it was as simple as that, but the usable plenum volume would still only be 79cc. I'm shooting an fx maverick 30 cal sniper and going for high power. I have good wika air gauges that instantly show pressure changes. When I take a shot and just watch the 2nd reg gauge, I see that the pressure dropped by about 15 bar during the shot cycle. My gut feeling is that with a 160cc plenum at the same reg pressure and with the valve opening the same amount for the same length of time, well... more air would get through during that shot cycle because the pressure would not drop as much because it's coming from an air source with twice the volume.

grungy

Isn't this basically a Dream power-pup setup with a maverick?
Hi TwoLoe88. I'm not familiar with the Dreamline models. My maverick 30 cal sniper is the only pcp rifle I've owned -- I'm pretty new to this stuff. But the idea of it is simple enough -- one regulator -- one big-assed regulated plenum. No in-between regulator that has to be 25-40 bar higher than the pressure you are going to use at the valve. No in-between regulator that slows down the plenum refresh for follow-up shots. It's not for everybody, but maybe for some guys this is the way to go with a maverick.

I wish Ernest would make a video about this.

grungy

Hi TwoLoe88. I'm not familiar with the Dreamline models. My maverick 30 cal sniper is the only pcp rifle I've owned -- I'm pretty new to this stuff. But the idea of it is simple enough -- one regulator -- one big-assed regulated plenum. No in-between regulator that has to be 25-40 bar higher than the pressure you are going to use at the valve. No in-between regulator that slows down the plenum refresh for follow-up shots. It's not for everybody, but maybe for some guys this is the way to go with a maverick.

I wish Ernest would make a video about this.

grungy
I'm pretty sure the concept of 2 regulators has to due with wear and tear. I have a impact M3 and it is very consistent with extreme spread and standard deviation. My impact MKII with power block upgrades, drilled out barrel inlet, drilled out transfer port, 210 Bar regulator, custom tungsten hammer weight, custom hammer spring, modified pellet probe, valve house milled out, it gets me 160FPE but this really pushes past the limits of the gun. My M3 on the other hand is 1.1 SD and shooting dimes at 100 yards. I can see the reasoning behind having 2 regs, and also the reasoning behind 1 regulator. This is why I've been buying FX for 12 years, not to mention if I have a problem, the techs have helped me so many times even when I was at fault for leaks and breaking items.

Reactions: Jlowe
I came to the realization long ago that the valve setup in a factory FX Maverick cannot fully take advantage of the ~90cc plenum (or whatever it is). It just can't dwell to dump enough of the plenum volume. Hammer weight improves the situation, but the primary issue is the limited valve travel and a light return spring (the valve bottoms out with short travel).

Remedied this in my Maverick by making a new valve pin with a smaller length poppet seal, and I replaced the return spring with a heavier one. I don't even really use a hammer weight now, but I mainly shoot 50.15gr JSBs and slugs of comparable weight.

Ernest Rowe has an FX Maverick that he has removed the 2nd regulator and plenum tube from and replaced the 2nd regulator tube with just a hollow tube. So there is only 1 regulator (the 1st reg next to the bottle tank) and everything from there back to the valve is all one big plenum (160cc). I'm interested in doing the same thing, but I haven't found any hollow tubes that could be used in place of the stock plenum/regulator section.

Anyone got info about where to get this part? Maybe there's a video out there that shows how to do it that I haven't found.

grungy
Do you have any updates on this? I will try to tune my maverick this week to 160 cc plenum. I will give you an update.