FX marketing

Watching pesting videos it seems everyone is shooting an FX gun. Certain individuals always wear FX t-shirts and hats. 2 gentleman spend quite a bit of time praising their FX guns. If they are being loaned these guns , why hasn't other manufacturers like Daystate or Air Arms or any other airgun manufacturer using this as a marketing tool? This type of marketing is clearly working. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to dial up a channel and see the gun you're interested in being used in the field? Yes, there are reviews, but they cover only so much. It wouldn't cost the manufacturers much to lend their products to the YouTubers for a few months for a real test. Example: Crosman999 does a fantastic job of reviewing guns in the field.

I like to see different guns being used, that is why I watch AEAC, Giles, and Matt Manning, and Crosman999 to name a few.

Don't take this the wrong way, I don't have anything against FX, if they offered the Dreamline in a left hand version, I would already own one. I'm just curious why the other manufacturers haven't seen FX's success and joined in the party. If they did, maybe then we could have a Daystate, Weihrauch, or Air Arms service facility in the states too.

Match wins, marketing, innovation and customer support wins sales. Apparently, FX is doing a better job. They are nice rifles, and as someone has said, I've own many different makes. But honestly, they all shoot just as good.

Exactly. FX is doing a better job. So why haven't the other manufacturers taken notice and joined in? How can FX offer something like the Dreamline for a reasonable cost and not have another manufacture sit up and take notice? Why aren't we seeing more "lego" airguns come to market?

The sheer cost of RD into these things alone makes them an expensive item to produce. After that the unit has to perform, be accurate, look good, etc... Then there has to be a market big enough to allow you to recoup the cost associated with developing, testing, marketing, and selling the unit. FX sells top rate guns in terms of performance and in MSRP cost. These are top shelf air guns. Not every air gunner will spend 2k on a gun so you can't look at the overall air gun market and count every person in that market as a potential buyer. Now add air arms, daystate, into the fold... in terms of price range and you have three players in a very tight market. If the market could sustain more entries and be profitable it would. Also in terms of "lego guns" you can bet that a large part of what goes into the FX line is patented... this may preclude others from being able to piggy back off their hard work and research. Although if you ask me, the priest looks like a cheap MK2 knock off!! 

The problem I have with the industry is lack of brick and mortar stores within a reasonable distance where I can hold the gun and get a feel for it's weight and balance. I rely heavily on reviews and videos of trusted individuals. I also rely on the feedback of this forum's members. If manufacturers were to lend more of their guns to YouTubers (many of which are members here) we could all benefit from real field use reviews. As it is today, I know that if I want to purchase an FX, I can find numerous videos of non professionals shooting these guns in all conditions and have a pretty good idea on how they will perform. If say for instance Air Arms was to lend an S510 to a member here and ask them to use it in the field or on the bench and to make a set amount of informative videos with real and accurate views of the gun, we would all benefit. Including Air Arms. By just reading the comments in the videos they would see what the consumers like and dislike about that rifle. The cost would be minimal. The rifle could always then be sold as a refurb. AEAC does some of the best reviews on airguns. I trust him and he doesn't hold back. If something needs improving he states it. Crosman999 does the same, except he shows me what I really want to see, how it performs in the field. Again, if something is lacking, he says so.

What made me originally post this was the lack of info on a particular gun that came out this year. I found a few videos from across the pond on this gun, but none in the FAC version. The staff at AOA was very helpful with the specs on the gun, but they admitted to not shooting it themselves yet. (they just got it in) I will be purchasing this gun later this year, but it would be nice to see more reviews on it. (if AOA gave me a discount i would be more than happy to do several field reviews on it 😉)

Okay, end of rant. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. Peace out.

FX has also been very innovative. They create a lot of interest in things like

Externally adjustable regulators

Ability to change caliber 

The whole barrel liner system 

Slug liner development with slug manufacturers 

Ect Ect Ect 

This gets the YouTubers wanting there guns 

What is a new and exciting development that has happened to the airarms since Matt did his video’s years ago....?

I didn't see the FX DREAMLINE concept mentioned. I'd like to read the history of FX guns, each model and It's features. Mr. FX . Fredrick Axelson ( This is MY chemo brain's memory of his name) Quit his job with an airgun manufacture because the owner would not spend the money to improve the guns. Axelson started his own company on his own at his expense. And he has been improving his air guns ever since. ( The Impact, the dream line, arrow barrels, slug barrels, compact guns, the tac compact and the Impact compact, I think he is driven to this and enjoy's it, Like his hobby. He is trying to meet a world wide demand for all his concept guns. Doesn't strike me as a money grubbing,uncaring Individual. I believe he is engineering a semi auto that will eliminate the safety issues of some of the latest semi autos and still have the inter changeability of dreamline and Impact. I've never met him, haven't received anything from FX I didn't pay full price for and I want to see FX continue to succeed. There are still a lot of FX guns I think I want. I can't decide between buying 1 each of a classic, a tactical compact, or just start with the base receiver block, folding stock and barrel and acquire Air bottles ( 480 and 580cc carbon fiber wrapped or the 500cc aluminum), barrels. I very much wish to purchase the Impact MkII Compact, with the 500mm barrel, 300cc air bottle, with an overall length of 25" . And I still wish for an FX "valveless" semiauto. Huben &LCS SH19 are "valveless" semiauto.

I agree....it would be nice if other PCP manufactures did what FX does.I do a lot of research on air guns and I rarely use videos .

I do read Air Gun Magazines and air gun forums and acquire much knowledge that way...There are a couple of British magazines that come out that have much info on air guns from All over the world.

I admit I do get tired of FX this and FX that....butt I am not so hard headed I wouldn't get one just because too many people talk FX.

Truth be told I am old fashioned and it suits me fine=part of the fun in learning and knowledge is doing the research .yes I am retired ,and have more time than money.

Im new to air guns .im started to interested on its for a advertise of a big bore texans on firearms magazines about 3 months ago , start to search and naturally (internet algoritsm ) finished loocking tons of fx youtu-videos . hucked for the imnovations of fx i was ready to pull the triger on a impact , until somehow (internet again ) huben catch my atension and them lcs sk-19 . them i preorder a sk-19 dreaming that i can use a fx liners on it . aniway i think my second buy will be an impact . and a dreamline for my son . bothon line . if something catch ours atension in off . from any brand , will find the way to get it . if others brands use innovation (imagination) bigs things will come out . 

If I had a little side-gig you tube airgun channel, and FX came to me offering to pay me enough to quit my day job and just make airgun videos, dang right I would be willing to toot the FX horn on my channel. 

The problem with that, for us viewers (read consumers), is that we don't know if we're getting a bought and paid for "opinion" or the actual facts about the guns. I tend to give a little more weight to the folks that do reviews and make videos using more than just one brand of gun. 

No complaints here, this is just the way the world works. For anybody that follows basketball....Zion Williamson, the most hyped #1 draft pick in years....blows out the side of a pair of Nikes a few months before being drafted, getting injured in the process. Once drafted, he signs a HUGE sponsorship with, guess who, Nike. If I was in his shoes (pardon the pun), the last company in the world I would have signed with would be the company that made the shoe that almost ruined my NBA dreams and could have cost me untold MILLIONS. Yet, that's who he signed with. Money talks. 

I just can't buy into it. Seeing all these people who upgrade there impacts just baffles me. Hundreds of dollars in Huma regs, plenum upgrades, rail extenders, adjustable butt pads, then the mods like opening ports and valve seats just seems crazy on such an expensive gun. It should be ready to go from the factory IMO. But hey if they have the money and wanna spend it there then great! But if I'm dropping 2 grand on a gun all I should need to do is mount a scope and be done.

Also why are the Air Hunters and Matt Dubber using such highly modified Impacts in there videos? To me that shows that the Impact on its own isn't good enough for there uses. Now sure maybe there getting those parts from the people who make them also to boost there sales but of the Impact was so good they should be showing off the OEM guns with stock performances not with all the upgrades. But again just my opinion.

I mean when I think of moddifyng an airgun I think of a Mrod not an expensive one. 

@Dairyboy

I hear what you are saying. I've done most of my research and am in the process of purchasing an Impact. Wanted to mention that I have talked with many people who use their Impact with a factory tune straight out of the box and are VERY happy with them.

The guys like Matt are testing the limits of the platform and are doing modifications to see how far the design can be pushed. What they discover with their "souped up" Impacts is being fed back into the design so those "out of the box" users like me benefit - the Impact MKII is a prime example. I think FX is smart to spend some money providing guns to people like Matt (and the others) as they benefit as does the rest of the community.

Seems that FX is working to improve their products, I like that, that they provide detailed maintenance videos is very impressive to me. Stressing a design past its working limits will cause components to fail. The feedback (forums and replacement parts purchased) results in a better product. People with the older versions (in most cases) have the option of upgrading if they want - not because they have to. 

Like your Mrod comment - that you have all kinds of options to modify the gun is a positive thing. ...but I don't think it is fair to compare the platforms - they occupy different niches.

I agree with the OP - other companies should look at FX's marketing approach and consider doing the same.

So, for the record I will say that my decision to drop $3K (here in Canada) on an Impact can be credited (blamed??) on me watching YouTube videos of guys pesting at extreme distances - they are having way to much fun for me not to want to join the party! Would I consider another brand? Certainly, I like my Royale 500 but I'm not stuck on one brand, my favorite rifle is a .22 Weihrauch HW100S FSB,.. well, for the moment anyway LOL! Have the scope ready, just waiting for the Impact.

Hank

I just can't buy into it. Seeing all these people who upgrade there impacts just baffles me. Hundreds of dollars in Huma regs, plenum upgrades, rail extenders, adjustable butt pads, then the mods like opening ports and valve seats just seems crazy on such an expensive gun. It should be ready to go from the factory IMO. But hey if they have the money and wanna spend it there then great! But if I'm dropping 2 grand on a gun all I should need to do is mount a scope and be done.

Also why are the Air Hunters and Matt Dubber using such highly modified Impacts in there videos? To me that shows that the Impact on its own isn't good enough for there uses. Now sure maybe there getting those parts from the people who make them also to boost there sales but of the Impact was so good they should be showing off the OEM guns with stock performances not with all the upgrades. But again just my opinion.

I mean when I think of moddifyng an airgun I think of a Mrod not an expensive one.

The same could be said on sports cars, why spend 50k on a subaru STI then start modding it to make more power? Because they want to and you get more out of something. Does it need it to shoot well? No.

No one is spending 1000$ on modifying, a couple hundred bucks to double the power in some calibers is a no brainer to me.

Actually, I think $1,000 upgrades is not an unreasonable estimate. Double bottle mods. additional barrel liners, moderators, adjustable stocks, bag riders, butt plates, cheek rests, ambidextrous cocking block, extended trigger guard... We see ALL of these on Impacts down the line at major events. That gets you to $1,000 easy, and that's without any internal power mods. Then, if you can do your own work, a couple hundred bucks to increase the power for slugs (no reason for pellets), and if you have another person do all those internal mods in excess of just a couple hundred bucks. Then there's the $3500 Nightforce ATAC-R, March, or Schmidt and Bender, and you've got a $7,000 airgun. Hey, if ya got it, then spend it, more power to ya. But lets not pretend like most shooters put "just a couple hundred - ($200)" in their Impacts...