• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX FX maintenance comparison - Maverick VP vs Dynamic VP?

I want to enter the PCP zone.
I like the FX brand for the engineering and features, especially the plenum concept and high shot count per charge.
I am considering the Maverick VP and the Dynamic 500 VP. I want to try slugs but I shoot pellets at this time primarily.
I am interested in folks experience with the maintenance requirements over time with both models and depth of knowledge to perform it required. I’m pretty mechanically inclined, just can’t find much in the way of maintenance discussion on either of these two models. Your experience and thoughts are requested, and thanks!

Another Maverick owner here.
Maintenance is pretty simple. If you only shoot the gun, and don't make internal changes, than maintenance amounts to cleaning the barrel as desired.
If you get into internal changes you may need to keep an eye on screws for tightness particularly in big temperature changes (seasons).
The Maverick is pretty straight forward to understand mechanically and to work on. I imagine the Dynamic is as well.

Thanks Guys! I appreciate that experience based feedback.
Where are the Dynamic guys? Please chime in on your maintenance oriented experiences.
I am also curious about the shot count per charge and any comments on groups size at 100 yrds with either gun.
I will probably start out with a scuba tank for filling and get nitro or O2 if I have to, as I was told that Nitrogen is more consistent and better for the gun.

My wife and I have owned 3 Mavericks. My first one was a nightmare. Hers was steady, stable and reliable. Mantence was as others have noted, clean the barrel and shoot.
What was wrong with my first? The usual cause of problems with an FX gun. Owner didn’t have any clue what they were doing. It was my learning gun. We got my wife’s set and never touched it. I could not leave mine alone. Tune and tweak, twist and adjust, test retest blah blah blah.
My third one is a compact in 25. Set it up to shoot 25.39 JSB’s and Hades. The tune on this gun has been the same for over two years. Keep the barrel relatively clean and shoot.

As an aside, I have a Panthera 25 600mm. Mechanically, it s the same as a Dynamic.Thus far it has been the same as the Maverick for maintenance. Clean the barrel and shoot it.

I have a maverick and just bought a dynamic. Neither one seems hard to maintain although you will occasionally need to change an oring or tighten a gauge to troubleshoot a leak. My maverick has started a slow leak that I’ll need to look at. So far the dynamic is very accurate and powerful with no issues.
If you decide to change the hammer weight which is needed for a high power tune, you will find it’s a little more complicated with the dynamic than the maverick.

Where are the Dynamic guys? Please chime in on your maintenance oriented experiences.
I am also curious about the shot count per charge and any comments on groups size at 100 yrds with either gun.
I will probably start out with a scuba tank for filling and get nitro or O2 if I have to, as I was told that Nitrogen is more consistent and better for the gun
I will probably start out with a scuba tank for filling and get nitro or O2 if I have to, as I was told that Nitrogen is more consistent and better for the gun.
Nitrogen works well. O2 is highly explosive.

I am the owner of a dynamic express 700 in .25 caliber. as for shooting and the number of shots, it depends on the weight of the slug or pellets. I have a total of 0.98 liters of air on my Dynamic, i.e. two bottles. number of shots using jsb 33.95 grain pellet at 110 bar 285 shots. when shooting 53-55 grain slugs that I make my own 150 Bar hammer 13.2 grams 290 ms speed 50 shots but that's a 700mm barrel and a large plenum

30 dynamic 700mm here. Haven’t had it long and only did a very quick preliminary tune. The thing seems naturally accurate and powerful. I’ve only tried the nsa 54.5 so far and they’re shooting great. I’m waiting for a heavier hammer weight to arrive and then I plan to do a better tune.
Here is a picture of a slug I shot through some gallon jugs of water.

image.jpg

Reactions: (F)Airgunner
My wife and I have owned 3 Mavericks. My first one was a nightmare. Hers was steady, stable and reliable. Mantence was as others have noted, clean the barrel and shoot.
What was wrong with my first? The usual cause of problems with an FX gun. Owner didn’t have any clue what they were doing. It was my learning gun. We got my wife’s set and never touched it. I could not leave mine alone. Tune and tweak, twist and adjust, test retest blah blah blah.
My third one is a compact in 25. Set it up to shoot 25.39 JSB’s and Hades. The tune on this gun has been the same for over two years. Keep the barrel relatively clean and shoot.

As an aside, I have a Panthera 25 600mm. Mechanically, it s the same as a Dynamic.Thus far it has been the same as the Maverick for maintenance. Clean the barrel and shoot it.
You must have had the same pre-pre-owner my .25 Sniper now a .22 compact had, the guy was an IDIOT and I'm being nice. Did a complete rebuild of the backend, including a new block because the aforementioned idiot managed to break it and trash the hammer.... and lo and behold it works just fine now.

You must have had the same pre-pre-owner my .25 Sniper now a .22 compact had, the guy was an IDIOT and I'm being nice. Did a complete rebuild of the backend, including a new block because the aforementioned idiot managed to break it and trash the hammer.... and lo and behold it works just fine now.
Not at all. My gun was just fine. It suffered the ill fate of being my first tunable PCP. I got it within a two months of starting down this rabbit hole. First gun was a Daystate Pulsar and other than the changes made with the trigger there was nothing I could do with that gun other than shoot it. Second time the computer went wonky the gun went down the road.
Then came the sacrificial Maverick. A victim of the YouTube school of tuning and ill fated PCP aspirations, of which I was an ever willing dupe, er uh I mean student.
The Maverick was akin to a cadaver in science class. Thankfully FX USA was always willing to tutor and educate. Utah Air Guns was another tutor and then my extra credit here served me quite well. The poor Maverick Sniper eventually became quite a shooter but I loathed the long barrel and traded it off for the M3 I am shooting now.
The consequent 5 other FX guns that proceeded are all forced to pay homage to the sacrifices Maverick 1 made to the cause.

Not at all. My gun was just fine. It suffered the ill fate of being my first tunable PCP. I got it within a two months of starting down this rabbit hole. First gun was a Daystate Pulsar and other than the changes made with the trigger there was nothing I could do with that gun other than shoot it. Second time the computer went wonky the gun went down the road.
Then came the sacrificial Maverick. A victim of the YouTube school of tuning and ill fated PCP aspirations, of which I was an ever willing dupe, er uh I mean student.
The Maverick was akin to a cadaver in science class. Thankfully FX USA was always willing to tutor and educate. Utah Air Guns was another tutor and then my extra credit here served me quite well. The poor Maverick Sniper eventually became quite a shooter but I loathed the long barrel and traded it off for the M3 I am shooting now.
The consequent 5 other FX guns that proceeded are all forced to pay homage to the sacrifices Maverick 1 made to the cause.
Ahhhhh, YOU tortured it, that wasn't nice. I was trying to heal mine, took about a year and FX sending me a new block and some other stuff but now, it's actually my favorite for some reason. Maybe it's the challenge of shooting a .22 compact 100+ yards. I still take the .25VP out to play and it rewards me with being dead consistent. Oh I was playing with some Zan slugs in the compact....ehhhh no love there, shoved in some FX/RMR's and tight groups at 25, shoved in some Hades, forgot to turn the HSA down they were screaming out at 1026 fps, dime groups. JSB's 18.13' 981fps, same thing, insanely tight groups. I'm going to reward both next week with a trip to see if some ground squirrels are still out.

Man if you’re talking dynamic or panthera you have to pony up a few extra $$ for the king. I couldn’t live with either of the other two personally knowing that beauty of a gun (king) is out there.
I’ve had a Maverick for about a year and it has been awesome. I did have to replace a hammer spring adjuster part because I tried cranking on the power wheel while it was cocked 🤦‍♂. My own fault. Luckily, assuming you are in the states, fx offers great support.

Last edited:
I added Panthera only because it is the same platform from what I’ve read as the Dynamic. In any case, being my entry into precision PCP, I would be buying the VP and upgrading as I could.. whether Maverick or Dynamic.
My search criteria is for a well built, easily maintained, pellet and slug capable gun that can reach out 100+ yrds with excellent group capability for both target work and pesting.
I would not shy away from competition at an amateur level either - with firearms, I am told I am a good shot by some buddies, so air competition would be interesting to me if I can find it up here is New Hampshire … Live Free or Die!

Has anyone got both the Maverick and the Dynamic or Panthera or shot both in sort of a side by side review? I have searched for comparisons and have yet to find Maverick v Dynamic anywhere?
Hoping to hear from someone with hands on on both air rifles.
I own both.
I have a Maverick compact in 25 and a Panthera 600mm in 25.
The Panthera cannot out shoot the Maverick despite my best efforts to make it do so. That does not make the Panthera a bad gun. My Maverick is very very accurate and consistent. Capable of groups at 50 yards that I will not disclose the dimensions of because they raise eyebrows and elicit doubts. Besides bragging is bad manners😂.
My only grind with the Panthera is that it is painfully long. But then again I had the same complaint with the two Crown MKII’s I have owned.
I simply prefer the shorter patterned bull pups over a traditional rifle platform. The way I use my air guns, traditional rifle patterns do not fare well. Even the shorty barrels left me cold.
The Panthera is very accurate and consistent. If you favor a traditional rifle style i feel it would serve you well. It will cost you more money.
The main purpose of my air guns is hunting and the Panthera/Dynamic platform is just too long for my wants.