FX Magazine Comparison - FX Side Shot v. Orion the Iguana Hunter v. QD Fox from Etsy

In the quest of alternatives to the FX Magazines, I thought I’d try some others. In this case, the Orion the Iguana Hunter magazine and the QD Fox magazines from Etsy.

IMG_4449.jpg

First is Price…

FX Side Shot - $49.99 each
Orion IH - $30.00 each
QD Fox 0 $29.99 for two

Second Capacity…

FX Side Shot – 18 pellets
IMG_4455.jpg
IMG_4456.jpg

Orion IH – 17 pellets
IMG_4453.jpg
IMG_4454.jpg

QD Fox – 17 pellets
IMG_4451.jpg
IMG_4452.jpg

The depth of the Orion IH magazine and the QD Fox magazines are the same, both are deep enough for the long Predator Polymags and longer slugs. The Orion and QD Fox magazines are 3D printed, but they are both very high quality 3D printed magazines. I don’t know the material used to produce these two magazines, but the Orion does feel slightly heavier. Orion also just updated their design and added a small tab to one side of the magazine cover. This makes it much easier to get the cover off to load the magazine. The magnets used in the Orion mags are much stronger than those in the QD Fox magazines, so getting the QD Fox mag cover off is not as much of a challenge as it was with the original Orion design. A much appreciated upgrade to eh Orion magazine!

IMG_4450.jpg

All three are considered high capacity magazines and they all fit the Crown, Dreamline and DRS. The Orion and QD Fox actually fit the DRS better because both of these are vert tight in the Crown and Dreamline. Conversely, the FX Side Shot magazine is pretty loose in the DRS but fits nice and snug in the Crown and Dreamline.

Crown:
IMG_4457.jpg
IMG_4459.jpg
IMG_4461.jpg

DRS:
IMG_4463.jpg
IMG_4465.jpg
IMG_4467.jpg

Does a magazine make a difference in accuracy? Initially I would have said no, but after shooting the three different magazines in the Crown and DRS, I may have changed my mind…

Crown: FX/Orion/QD Fox

Crown FX.jpg
Crown Orion.jpg
Crown QD Fox.jpg

DRS: FX/Orion/QD Fox

DRS FX.jpg
DRS Orion.jpg
DRS QD Fox.jpg

The DRS really shot well with the both the Orion and QD Fox magazines and the Crown did best with the Orion magazine. Sorry, FX, seems neither air rifle really liked the FX Side Shot magazine!

So, anyone looking for an alternative to the more pricey FX magazines, check out Orion the Iguana Hunter or QD Fox magazines on Etsy.

Orion IH: https://orioniguanahunter.com/colle.../fx-maverick-crown-wildcat-mkiii-dreamline-v2

QD Fox: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1695214972/fx-maverick-crown-wildcat-mkiii?ref=yr_purchases

Last edited:
That mag is copying a lot from my design, I see a few flaws that I already fixed on my mag but I'm not going to share it here. Even the printed surface I'm using was copied.

The strong magnets will help with heavy ammo, the last thing you want is the lid to open because the weight of the ammo.

Interesting enough, most if my good improvements are coming from the feedback I get from you guys, my products are always evolving.

I'm using PETG as the printing material.

I really appreciate the comparison, and I'm happy you are enjoying the latest lid update!