FX FX M3 22 my first PCP

Solution
I wouldn't put much weight in the comments telling you to avoid used due to buying an inaccurate gun. I've sold a bunch of guns that shoot like a lazer on here. I get bored easily and once I get a gun stacking pellets I tend to move on to something else. I believe there are a lot of guys just like me on this site!!

Main thing I do when I see a gun listed that I'm interested in is dig back through the sellers past postings. He usually has something to say about it or groups to show off or more importantly problems to discuss on the item he's selling. That can tell you a lot about what you might be buying.
Avoid buying used (unless it is 50% less than retail price), I would get new. Any issues on these high end guns can become expensive to fix so unless the used one is discounted deeply, I would stick with new.

Like others above have noted, why is the person selling their gun? Do they have too many? Is something wrong but they are not mentioning it in their ad? Why would anyone sell their gun if it shoots well? If you know the seller or can shoot the gun before buying, then used makes sense because you know what you are getting into.

Anyway, good luck with your purchase.
OBCOM, the disorder thing is vastly overrated. Amen your comments and thanks.
Edo.

I lean towards new, mainly so I know exactly what I'm getting and if something isn't right it's on the retailer to make right.
That being said I've bought a few used guns on here and haven't been disappointed. But I buy only from active posters on this site that show their knowledge through their participation here.
Now I just need someone on here to sell a specific rifle I'm currently looking for.......lol
DENS, I agree and thanks. Edo.

Watch Utah Air Guns used page or call them. I'd trust them to do an inspection and tune before shipping.

Maverick or Wildcat is a great first time rifle. Much easier to setup for new pellet weights.

ED,
I agree with you about Utah. they’ve been the most reliable counsel I’ve gotten from any retailer, forthcoming with information and not a sales pitch. If I were to buy used, it would certainly be from them, but I despair that the gun I want will necessarily ever be available from them used..
I’m a patient load developer and In matching makes and lots to my rimfire shooting, so I’m not afraid of complexity offered by the prospect of the M3. thanks again, Edo.

Reactions: EDventure
Used PCPs can carry double trouble, one, inexperienced owner damaged messing with, or, two, owner wasn't cognizant, nor caring, about using clean, dry air to fill. Both leave little evidence in pictures and can be expensive to correct. WM
Worry, Amen your comment especially as I don’t know PCPs sufficiently well yet. Edo.

Reactions: WorriedMan
If I was looking at used I would check out reputable dealers unless I personally knew who I was buying from. As for scopes Athlon makes some good scopes at reasonable prices so does Element optics.
Drifter, thanks for the advice. I think if I were buying used, it would only be from Utah unless you’ve got a better recommendation..Better yet, what Athlon and Element models Would you suggest or choose for yourself in setting up an M3? Thanks again. I look forward to your reply Edo.

If you are mechanically inclined and find a used one for 1500 that could be a good option. I have one that is brand new for sale for 2000, and that is close to what used M3’s are going for around here. As far as first gun, I don’t see why not. There’s more information out there and aftermarket parts for an impact than most other guns. You definitely won’t be disappointed with it a week after you buy it. I think the 100 yard benchrest comp at NAC was just won with an impact. If you plan on shooting beyond 100 yards you may want to consider getting a heavy slug liner or second barrel.
Driver, my mechanical inclination is rivaled only by my PCP ignorance, and I’d hate to be the one further ruining a really good gun only for lack of understanding. As far as the basic set up goes, yes I plan for the heavy slug barrel in 700 mm as you recommend. I think it will serve well enough for plinking at short range with Diablo pellets while delivering the sort of real accuracy at distance that I’m looking for. M3’s being what they are, are likely not going to come at much of a discount for used because they will likely be outfitted with more accessories than I could find use initially.
thanks, Edo.

Worry, Amen your comment especially as I don’t know PCPs sufficiently well yet. Edo.
Todays hint, if you want a project gun, buy used, if you pretty much want something that won't require learning more than you've ever wanted to know buy new. I have a project gun, it was F'd up by a previous owner (Maverick). My 'new' one Maverick, was less problematic but I like messing things up so it's on me. You can adjust the M3 and mess it up, 17 different ways to Sunday, you will have to tune it to suit your use and pellets/slugs so get ready for a lot of learning and experimenting. Every gun likes certain pellets and HATES others. There are a few on the forum that shoot out to 200 and beyond, that is a different breed. I do about 125 yards with my .22 Mav Compact and my Mav VP .25. Slugs will drive you to drink and they won't buy the gas either, good luck. Scopes, I'm a fan of Arken's they work well for my old eyes and style of shooting good glass for a good price and solid turrets, you know when you've turned them.

My first PCP was an M3 .22 700 i still have and enjoy it 2 years later. It sounds like you have plenty of experience. If you have just a bit of mechanical ability and ask questions before getting into something over your head you will be fine. There aren't many special tools required, I bet you have more than enough to get started. A good set of hardened metric hex drivers is a must have.
Dry Air is a big consideration. Plenty of discussions on the subject here on AGN!
As for 100+ yards it seems to me that the short cut to success is to start with a .25 vs the .22 but that's just me reading and trying to pay attention.
All the new M3's come with the powerblock.
Good luck.

Reactions: HogKiller
Depending on how accessorized this used impact comes, you could easily spend up to another grand just in aftermarket goods. If you only want to add aftermarket parts that further enhance the guns performance, and not about bling blang, the two things to consider are the Airmarksman backbone rail and some type of barrel tensioning system. The bling stuff like angled gages, digital gages, shoulder and cheek extensions, all that can wait. Put your leftover cash into getting stocked up ono rings and maybe a couple of regulator rebuild kits from FX
Ragu, spoken like a man who’s been there and done that. What function does a backbone rail serve? I am certain It, like a barrel tensioner provides increased rigidity and more disciplined Barrel harmonics. At how many rounds should I expect to need replacing o-rings and rebuilding regulators? The one item of bling I’ll probably spring for will be one of those barrel mount radar chronographs as they appear an alternative to my faithful Caldwell which doesn’t like .177 pellets from my trusty springers. Sir, I‘d call you Dutch uncle, except for your Bolognese implication. Thanks. Edo.

I wouldn't put much weight in the comments telling you to avoid used due to buying an inaccurate gun. I've sold a bunch of guns that shoot like a lazer on here. I get bored easily and once I get a gun stacking pellets I tend to move on to something else. I believe there are a lot of guys just like me on this site!!

Main thing I do when I see a gun listed that I'm interested in is dig back through the sellers past postings. He usually has something to say about it or groups to show off or more importantly problems to discuss on the item he's selling. That can tell you a lot about what you might be buying.
Good method, sir. Thanks. Edo.

My Impact is my first and only PCP. I knew I was serious and had wanted one for years. I knew I didn’t want a progression of lesser rifles only to work my way up, but just one I would know intimately and not grow out of. Also, the greatest potential for accuracy was paramount since I knew a 2 inch group at 100 yards would make me feel one way, and 1 inch or even 3/4 of an inch would make all the difference to me. I recognized that I am a tinkerer at heart and the adjustability was a lure. I have since shot a variety of projectiles from 18 grain diabolos to 30 grain slugs from 50 feet to 200 yards, changing nothing more than settings. Originally, I had a long list of aftermarket accessories that I had to have, but then realized I only needed the rifle, a way to fill it, and some ammo to begin with. I have since added bits and bobs, but only as I’ve felt a real pull for them. For these reasons it’s been right for me.
So ask yourself some questions, read the valuable info from the good folks here, and it should lead you to where you want to be.
Pluma blanca, ¡gracias! You’re wearing the shoes I hope to fill. Please feel free to PM me as I have a lot to ask. Edo.

Todays hint, if you want a project gun, buy used, if you pretty much want something that won't require learning more than you've ever wanted to know buy new. I have a project gun, it was F'd up by a previous owner (Maverick). My 'new' one Maverick, was less problematic but I like messing things up so it's on me. You can adjust the M3 and mess it up, 17 different ways to Sunday, you will have to tune it to suit your use and pellets/slugs so get ready for a lot of learning and experimenting. Every gun likes certain pellets and HATES others. There are a few on the forum that shoot out to 200 and beyond, that is a different breed. I do about 125 yards with my .22 Mav Compact and my Mav VP .25. Slugs will drive you to drink and they won't buy the gas either, good luck. Scopes, I'm a fan of Arken's they work well for my old eyes and style of shooting good glass for a good price and solid turrets, you know when you've turned them.
Thanks….I think…. Edo.

My first PCP was an M3 .22 700 i still have and enjoy it 2 years later. It sounds like you have plenty of experience. If you have just a bit of mechanical ability and ask questions before getting into something over your head you will be fine. There aren't many special tools required, I bet you have more than enough to get started. A good set of hardened metric hex drivers is a must have.
Dry Air is a big consideration. Plenty of discussions on the subject here on AGN!
As for 100+ yards it seems to me that the short cut to success is to start with a .25 vs the .22 but that's just me reading and trying to pay attention.
All the new M3's come with the powerblock.
Good luck.
RC, experience? Yes Meaningful experience? Not so much. In air rifles I understand Springers. CO2 pistols still have me baffled. Tools I have and very good ones. But the idiosyncrasies of extreme pressure and control are not my forte. I look forward to sharing your experience with the M3. Thanks. Edo.

Drifter, thanks for the advice. I think if I were buying used, it would only be from Utah unless you’ve got a better recommendation..Better yet, what Athlon and Element models Would you suggest or choose for yourself in setting up an M3? Thanks again. I look forward to your reply Edo.
I don't know where you live but you could buy from Utah Airguns (call) an ask them about scopes ETC I think if your going long range you might consider something with a bit of magnification maybe x20 or so. All the element scopes are pretty good with a life time warrantee. Theres a couple good dealers here in Florida I have purchased a few guns from and am very satisfied. SPAW and Palm Beach Airguns

RC, experience? Yes Meaningful experience? Not so much. In air rifles I understand Springers. CO2 pistols still have me baffled. Tools I have and very good ones. But the idiosyncrasies of extreme pressure and control are not my forte. I look forward to sharing your experience with the M3. Thanks. Edo.
PS-I remember when Ed SHILEN first got, the bug Large scale RC aircraft.. That was a hoot.!

Reactions: rc4fun
I don't know where you live but you could buy from Utah Airguns (call) an ask them about scopes ETC I think if your going long range you might consider something with a bit of magnification maybe x20 or so. All the element scopes are pretty good with a life time warrantee. Theres a couple good dealers here in Florida I have purchased a few guns from and am very satisfied. SPAW and Palm Beach Airguns
Drifter, I’m in Texas and Utah is close enough. Utah AG would definitely be my go to. Thanks. Edo.

Reactions: coastal drifter
If you are new to all this, I would spend the addtional $2-400 and buy a new one. You'll get a warranty and you will get it configured the way you want in regards to caliber, barrel length etc. While used guns may be a bargain, you never know what or how the previous owner did to tune it or what parts were changed and this might lead you to a lot of frustration. I bought the exact same gun and didn't change any parts, but I would be cautious about "customization". Scope? My favorite is a 6-24X. Good ones are Hawke Sidewinder, Athlon Midas Tac or Heras, and/or Arken EPL. There are others, I'm sure, but I know these are good all around scopes and you won't have to pay top tier money. Have fun.

I don’t fully understand tensioner setups, nor the why of them since the M3 seems perfectly accurate without it, but I accept that they must represent an improvement, so why not?
I only added one to mine when I decided to buy a slug liner and slug power kit. I dont know if it made any difference. I would probably start out without the tensioner system. If you think accuracy can be better and want to spend some money on a maybe then go ahead and buy a barrel tension kit.

I also read that the so-called power block is a worthwhile option
The M3 comes with the power block.
I am very familiar with the Leopold Mark series mil-dot fixed power scopes. Not at all with their Current series of variables
I have a mark5 I bought about 1.5 years ago. Its a fine scope and on par with any of the older gen leupolds that I have used. They come with several options for reticles but I got one with a simple hash setup that are spaced 1 mil apart with a .5 mil shorter line between the mil marks. I click in drop so I dont need a christmas tree reticle for wind holds. If you have experience with leupold I would say look at the current offerings and the new mark4 is looking like it may be a really good scope for the money. The upper end of vortex are another scope I have used for the last 4 years. I have a razor gen2 that has been a good scope. Theres so many good scopes these days you have to pour over specs and see what checks all or most of the boxes for you.

Chukar,
amen to market bling! I’m leaning toward buying the rifle new with any trick installed by a reputable dealer, i.e. power block, Barrel tensioner, etc. if you were buying any of your M3’s again, what would you buy new in terms of tricking them out? It seems there’s quite an aftermarket in used bling at sufficient discount to make it and appealing proposition for such things as I might find appropriate, but I’m not generally a fan of hanging every available contraption on anything I care to use.. I hope you’ll reply to my question and I thank you again for your comment.
Edo.

My suggestion for any new M3 buyer is that no matter what you plan to shoot out of it, buy 1000 pellets and just shoot it. It will take that many to break it in and let it settle. Given a convenient air source you can shoot 1000 pellets in no time at all.
Then buy pellets in a couple weights. For example on 22 cal 18 & 25 gr pellets. You will need two different tunes for those weights. Then learn to tune the gun. An Impact is a poor choice for someone not willing to learn to tune. Rather defeats the reason to own one.
Once you have wrapped your head around tuning for pellets, move up to slugs if you like. It is not a big step. You will now have the foundation required to tune for slugs. You will understand the interaction between the hammer and the plenum. You won’t be on here asking about a tungsten hammer just because some YouTuber said it was a great idea.
Once you have attained that level of comfort with your M3 you can make an informed decision as to what aftermarket products would benefit you.
I am not anti-aftermarket. My needs from an Impact do not require them. I am against people people buying an M3 and then start hanging every accessories that they can off it without a competent knowledge of what it is supposed to and how to measure the actual benefit.

The Impact is the most hyped and over exposed air gun in the world. The same can be said for the aftermarket products produced for it.
Unfortunately, the preponderance of aftermarket products and the marketing and exposure have created two false narratives.
One: the Impact needs all of this to perform. No it does not
Two: all of this high performance stuff is simple and any moron can do it. No they cannot. Tuning takes time to understand. There is no shortcut to that reality. The higher the performance the More knowledge and experience it is going to take to achieve. Simply hanging goodies off your Impact and twisting and turning dials without a pretty thorough understanding about what is going in the gun will produce nothing but another FX hater.
Keep your expectations in the realm of reality. Don’t try to turn your Red Ryder into a 300 Win Mag and you will enjoy it.
Tungsten hammers and plenum pressures in the 170 - 180 range will beat your valve mercilessly. The gun will do it. but for how long and how reliably?

Reactions: coastal drifter