• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX FX M-set it and forget it

Figured I would share an overview of a recent project because I think a lot of shooters try to achieve something similar but always have to settle or compromise a little. I’ll try not to bore anyone but I have to set this up. Every year I travel to my camp in another state to hunt deer. I always take an airgun for down time fun shooting and hunting if I get a deer. I’ve found myself over gunned and I’ve found myself under gunned over the years. Then I found myself traveling with two or three guns. This year I had my M3 on a trip as a fantastic pellet gun. It took care of business. Until I started having late night coyote episodes across from my camp. My pellet tune had head shot accuracy to 100 yards. After that, and I mean shortly after that, the pellet gets seriously drunk. The coyotes were always 130-190 yards away. I had a pack of slugs with me and burned through all of them one day trying to find a slug setting that I was confident with. It didn’t happen. The next trip I just took my .30 RTI that has a pellet/slug tune with a FX liner. But a .30 is a cannon of a plinker so I wanted to figure something out with my little M3. The second all the seasons were done and the weather went to poop, I put on my thinking cap and dug into my barrel collection. I wanted to have the gun set on an efficient accurate slug tune and also be able to shoot hunting pellets without touching a thing. Definitely not the valve knob and preferably not even the hammer wheel. I wanted to run the optimum tune for everything. I knew the slug I wanted to use but after so many hours jumping from the lathe to prone position in the shop to shoot, I just couldn’t get it and pellets to work. I am waiting on another custom reamer and I will try it again on another barrel. So then I switched to another slug and started trying to find a compromise with it and pellets. Back to pulling the barrel out of the lathe, sliding it in the gun and shooting to the back corner of the shop 50 yards away. After quite a few evenings, it was time for some serious shooting. What I have is at 128b and I touch nothing to shoot one slug, three hunting pellets and two dome plinking or shoot impressive group pellets. The 30gr slug is going 920fps. All slugs group on a 1.5” spinner at 100 yards. Hades/Atomics are going 940fps and one .45 cal hole at 50 yards. H&N 27.47 HP are 938fps and all touch at 50 yards. H&N Baracuda Extremes are 914fps and all touch at 50 yards. I haven’t shot the 25.39 or 33.95’s yet for groups but I would be shocked if they didn’t do great. I might have to click the wheel one or two clicks for the 25.39. I will check that later because now I’m in the practical shoot phase. I have been Window Willy Critter Sniper with the slugs. Floating between 40 and 88 yards popping stuff. Checking first shot consistency and how many shots until the gun opens up. Then I will pull some patches and see how the pellets do. This gun is my hunting gun. Giant paper punching scope came off and it’s back to how I hunt with it. Internally it’s stock except for some plenum work so my first shot is within spec and a blueprinted second reg. So now that I no longer have to get my hands dirty, I will just keep testing to see if any issues pop up. Mainly POI issues with the slugs. I already know that if I mix shooting pellets and slugs, the slugs open up more quickly so a couple patches are necessary when I switch. Going from a goo barrel slug gun to pellets? They don’t really care at hunting distances. I will also start stretching the pellets out to see when they start getting woozy. Just 2 pics. One of hopefully my favorite small/medium game gun. And one of my mistress. Well at least that’s what my girlfriend called my lathe for the last month.

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_5690.jpeg

Not trying to criticize or be mean, but man, a few breaks for paragraphs might make your story much easier to read.
Well at least I use punctuation. Just looked at it and you’re correct, it’s a hunk of words. Good grief. I had a lot to say and was trying to be as brief as I could. I didn’t look over the final product before I clicked post. Was just happy to be done typing.

Vetmx, luv the read! Lots of work there but I know the journey was/is well worth it! Awesome work and tune as well as your pics! I also tuned my RAW .22 for a combo of pellets and slugs, both light weight (JSB 18gr & NSA 17.5/20.2) as my shooting doesn't go much over 100yds and the work was well worth it to get accuracy with both with just a couple turret clicks 👍 so I truly understand your post! By the way, I hope your GF wasn't too jealous of your lathe.....😂

Reactions: Ingo S.
I don’t understand exactly what you’re saying here
What I have is at 128b and I touch nothing to shoot one slug, three hunting pellets and two dome plinking or shoot impressive group pellets
My reg is set at 128b. I set my hammer spring, micro/macro and my valve for the best efficiency and accuracy with the 30gr slug. I don’t touch anything and can shoot 5 different weight pellets great. The exception is a Polymag. If I wanted to shoot it I can, but I have to turn the macro/wheel down to #8. I just wanted a great pellet gun, even if it only shot two pellets well, that I can run a couple patches through the barrel and immediately be able to shoot slugs with precision out to hopefully 200 yards. Right now I’ve only tested them to 135 yards. With this gun vs my slug only wicked .25 Impact, I am not going to hold it to the standards of that gun. It’s purpose built. But if I can get coyote boiler room accuracy at 175-190 yards, I’ll call it a win.

Vetmx, luv the read! Lots of work there but I know the journey was/is well worth it! Awesome work and tune as well as your pics! I also tuned my RAW .22 for a combo of pellets and slugs, both light weight (JSB 18gr & NSA 17.5/20.2) as my shooting doesn't go much over 100yds and the work was well worth it to get accuracy with both with just a couple turret clicks 👍 so I truly understand your post! By the way, I hope your GF wasn't too jealous of your lathe.....😂
I think we are in the same camp. My .25 slug barreled M3 is a purpose built slug gun. It’s basically a powder burner and has to be treated as such. As excited as I was to build it and finally reach my goal, I found I don’t shoot it much. I never even took it squirrel hunting this year. And it shreds them. I wanted to get back to more modest power levels and the reason why most of us are in this. It will be another month of testing before I declare it a success or not. If this topic fades into oblivion, I’ll update it even if the M3 pee’s in my Wheaties like they are known to do.

Testing done at 155 yards. Didn’t have much time before dark so I just pushed a can halfway down into the soft earth and did a half mag at it. It wound up being about a 3x3 target. Shooting across a creek in a little ravine and there seems to always be a slight breeze down there when nothing is showing at my house. Held left and hit it 10 out of 14 times. The 4 misses were just to the right. Gun did pick up 5-7fps as I shot through the whole mag engaging targets at 135, 114, 100, 75, 50 then my zero 30 yards. Not sure whats going on there.

Reactions: Rich_B
Got done with the slug and moved to pellets. I found that in order to get the most of each of them I had to move the wheel. Slugs are on #13, pellets liked #10 and 11. As long as I don’t have to touch the reg or valve, so far this thing is exactly what I want. Last test is the pellets between 75 and 100 yards. Just want to see how they hold up when I push the distance. So far with the pellets it’s been nothing but 50 yard shooting. Then I have until next fall to see how consistent the guns POI remains over time. I will probably do two months on a pellet then two months on a slug.

Figured I would share an overview of a recent project because I think a lot of shooters try to achieve something similar but always have to settle or compromise a little. I’ll try not to bore anyone but I have to set this up. Every year I travel to my camp in another state to hunt deer. I always take an airgun for down time fun shooting and hunting if I get a deer. I’ve found myself over gunned and I’ve found myself under gunned over the years. Then I found myself traveling with two or three guns. This year I had my M3 on a trip as a fantastic pellet gun. It took care of business. Until I started having late night coyote episodes across from my camp. My pellet tune had head shot accuracy to 100 yards. After that, and I mean shortly after that, the pellet gets seriously drunk. The coyotes were always 130-190 yards away. I had a pack of slugs with me and burned through all of them one day trying to find a slug setting that I was confident with. It didn’t happen. The next trip I just took my .30 RTI that has a pellet/slug tune with a FX liner. But a .30 is a cannon of a plinker so I wanted to figure something out with my little M3. The second all the seasons were done and the weather went to poop, I put on my thinking cap and dug into my barrel collection. I wanted to have the gun set on an efficient accurate slug tune and also be able to shoot hunting pellets without touching a thing. Definitely not the valve knob and preferably not even the hammer wheel. I wanted to run the optimum tune for everything. I knew the slug I wanted to use but after so many hours jumping from the lathe to prone position in the shop to shoot, I just couldn’t get it and pellets to work. I am waiting on another custom reamer and I will try it again on another barrel. So then I switched to another slug and started trying to find a compromise with it and pellets. Back to pulling the barrel out of the lathe, sliding it in the gun and shooting to the back corner of the shop 50 yards away. After quite a few evenings, it was time for some serious shooting. What I have is at 128b and I touch nothing to shoot one slug, three hunting pellets and two dome plinking or shoot impressive group pellets. The 30gr slug is going 920fps. All slugs group on a 1.5” spinner at 100 yards. Hades/Atomics are going 940fps and one .45 cal hole at 50 yards. H&N 27.47 HP are 938fps and all touch at 50 yards. H&N Baracuda Extremes are 914fps and all touch at 50 yards. I haven’t shot the 25.39 or 33.95’s yet for groups but I would be shocked if they didn’t do great. I might have to click the wheel one or two clicks for the 25.39. I will check that later because now I’m in the practical shoot phase. I have been Window Willy Critter Sniper with the slugs. Floating between 40 and 88 yards popping stuff. Checking first shot consistency and how many shots until the gun opens up. Then I will pull some patches and see how the pellets do. This gun is my hunting gun. Giant paper punching scope came off and it’s back to how I hunt with it. Internally it’s stock except for some plenum work so my first shot is within spec and a blueprinted second reg. So now that I no longer have to get my hands dirty, I will just keep testing to see if any issues pop up. Mainly POI issues with the slugs. I already know that if I mix shooting pellets and slugs, the slugs open up more quickly so a couple patches are necessary when I switch. Going from a goo barrel slug gun to pellets? They don’t really care at hunting distances. I will also start stretching the pellets out to see when they start getting woozy. Just 2 pics. One of hopefully my favorite small/medium game gun. And one of my mistress. Well at least that’s what my girlfriend called my lathe for the last month.

View attachment 430210

View attachment 430211
What tripod is that?

Does anyone else find it interesting that when you get done with a build, finally get a gun back together or when you’re on the precipice of a stellar setting, the wind won’t stop for days.
I don't do "builds", but I completely understand about the wind. When my health allows (and I am doing well lately, thank you) it seems that there are no pests to shoot and when there are pests to shoot there is massive wind.

I am not good at reading the wind. Mainly (this is my excuse) because I don't have any indicators that I can see and read when shooting from my "sniper" window. Can't count the times I adjusted my scope during a windy day (that I didn't realize was THAT windy) only to have to reset the scope when there was no wind or extremely LIGHT wind. From 10-25 yards isn't really a problem, but when I stretch it out past 30+ yards to 40 or 50 or 60 or 96 yards... yes, the wind is my best excuse for missing that I can think of and at least in this case, it is true. (chuckle)

Live and learn... or so they tell me... (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: Vetmx
Well I’m glad your health is good lately. That’s way more important than silly airguns. I would rather shoot on a windy day guessing than have beautiful weather and feel like a junker. Hope you stay healthy.
Actually, silly airguns is what keeps me going, but not in the way that those who have more dollars than sense do it.

I wake up just before daylight to look for a pesting shot for the next ~2 hours. Lately, it has been futile, but come spring, I know that will change.

Had a scare a few weeks ago where I thought I had a lung problem. I could suck air, but felt like I was suffocating. A friend is a cardiologist and after telling him all of my symptoms, he thinks I had a "mild" heart attack. So, now I look at every day as a new beginning! Amazing how something like that can change your entire view of the world and life itself.

Taking it a day at a time lately, which is much better than minute by minute, hour by hour which I have been for days at a time only too recently.

Thanks again for the reply!

All my best!

Kerry

Got done with the slug and moved to pellets. I found that in order to get the most of each of them I had to move the wheel. Slugs are on #13, pellets liked #10 and 11. As long as I don’t have to touch the reg or valve, so far this thing is exactly what I want. Last test is the pellets between 75 and 100 yards. Just want to see how they hold up when I push the distance. So far with the pellets it’s been nothing but 50 yard shooting. Then I have until next fall to see how consistent the guns POI remains over time. I will probably do two months on a pellet then two months on a slug.
I switched my M3 to a new 700 mm .25, Superior barrel. I have the JSB's shooting at 905 fps. I also wanted to shoot Hybrids with it so loaded some up.
At the same tune they were almost the exact same poi and just as consistent. I'm currently using an Arken Zulus scope so it's not clicks to move the reticle it's numbers on the X and Y axis so I'm guessing it's about a 1/4 MOA to the left and up with the slugs. I wasn't expecting to be that close and accurate without having to change anything, it was just to shoot a few to see. I didn't have my chrono out there so I don't know what FPS the Hybrids were shooting but I'm doing it again today.

It was mid 30's outside so I'll be curious if it maintains this at 80.

I switched my M3 to a new 700 mm .25, Superior barrel. I have the JSB's shooting at 905 fps. I also wanted to shoot Hybrids with it so loaded some up.
At the same tune they were almost the exact same poi and just as consistent. I'm currently using an Arken Zulus scope so it's not clicks to move the reticle it's numbers on the X and Y axis so I'm guessing it's about a 1/4 MOA to the left and up with the slugs. I wasn't expecting to be that close and accurate without having to change anything, it was just to shoot a few to see. I didn't have my chrono out there so I don't know what FPS the Hybrids were shooting but I'm doing it again today.

It was mid 30's outside so I'll be curious if it maintains this at 80.
I don’t know if it’s because I’m a 600mm and under guy but I was never able to be set on a optimum slug setting and be able to shoot pellets in the window of their optimal settings. Going in either direction, I had to play with the reg and valve. You didn’t mention what JSB you were shooting. If it’s the 33.95, the little Hybrid will be humming along nicely. If its accuracy holds up to your max range, you’ll be golden. Ironically, my P2 with a 500mm .30 FX barrel shot pellets and slugs without touching a setting.

Last edited: