• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX liners, non-choked?

That’s a lot of good information. Thank you. I have moderately been down the slug rabbit hole and found it frustrating enough. This subject was just something that’s been in the back of my mind for a while and was curious what others may have found by experience. I do appreciate your time! I think I will stick to pellets. They are a lot less headache. Air rifles, although they can be configured, I don’t think they are initially designed for slugs. Too many variables, and if one of the many goes awry, then it’s back to square one.
You touched on something that we can’t lose sight of. A good .25 with a good 33.95 pellet tune should be what you want out of a slug. Same with a .22 with a good MRD tune. Those guns will repeat that accuracy every day all year and very rarely throw you a curve ball. If you can’t match that 100 yard accuracy and more importantly consistency, why keep blowing money on slug testing when you should be out enjoying shooting. I have great 100 yard pellet guns so the whole slug thing has just been a black hole for money since 2017. But I have to know. My .25 slug Impact is as close to being what I want as I can get. Now trying it with my .22. If I get burned out, and I do, I have a good slug setup for it. Stellar at 75 yards, a little over an inch at 100, around 2” at 250 yards. I just want an inch or under all the time at 100 like my .25.

My experience differs with Dubber's. After about 100-125 shots, my accuracy falls off because the choke gets fouled with lead. Maybe polishing is the wrong way to go here and we should be creating a less smooth surface in the bore of the liner. I'd like to be able to bead blast the liner bore and see what happens.
Agreed. And my unchoked TJ’s foul like a MF too. But like everything on the internet we don’t know the whole story. We just take bits and pieces and run with them. Our slug and its recipe probably differs from the guy who we are taking his words as gospel. If his slugs have more tin in them, he may go longer out of the same barrel. His degradation in accuracy may not be the same as yours. If when his gun starts to open up, and it still shoots better than yours does at it best, that screws up all that data. I take all online slug data as just things to consider. NEVER hard facts. Do this with everything you see in a video or read and you’ll be able to look at things much more objectively. The industry wants you to chase after everything you see in cherry picked kill shot videos and the forum guy who finally shoots a good group with the magic slug, hammer weight, tensioner, etc. More and more guys are starting to see the light. It just costs them a lot of money. Not saying you can’t get there, but is it worth it?

Furthermore, I agree with Dubber about button rifled and hammer forged barrels continue to vary in quality (dimensional) due to tool wear during the manufacturing process. Be he says that FX's process produces the same quality part after part. Nope, not possible. I've been a manufacturing process engineer responsible for quality control, and there is no process that can be consistent over a long period. That's why parts are continually inspected.

View attachment 384186

It is an arrow straightener and it works extremely well.
I built one of these for my arrows back in time, tried to use on my liners not much luck. Even toke the liners to friends machine shop and clamp it in a lathe chuck, still cannot straigten the run out, must be not a bow in the middle.
When I index this same my STX-A the circle at 100 meters is about a foot. But I turn it to 2 a clock (set and forget) this liner is punchin a consistent MOA in no wind. So why bother.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball