FX LINERS (AGAIN)!

Okay so I am officially confused, both B pellet liners and slug liners appear to be the same twist rate, BOTH including the slug liner are choked!

I spent some time with Johan from FX (think thats how you spell it) on Friday, I must admit I came away more confused than before I spoke to him (probably my limited experience).

So it appears there were some liners with two rings at the breech, but now they all only have 1? the B liner was supposedly designed around the 25.39g Monster JSB .22 pellet, yet it is extremely tight in the bore, Johan has reccomended a modification for which he offered the part FOC in order to get the velocity up to somewhere near the Redwolf in the HP version, however I the velocity maybe be more down to friction, I will try sizing down some pellets to see if it goes up.

Only thing I can say is that cetainly with the heavier pellets both the B Liner and the slug liner seem to do very well, not so sure on the slugs from the slug liner though.

A freind has cut the choke off his slug liner and will be experimenting, but for sure the velocity went up.

Anyone else care to share their confusion (or not)!

Reactions: STO
Only thing I can say is that cetainly with the heavier pellets both the B Liner and the slug liner seem to do very well, not so sure on the slugs from the slug liner though.

600mm 22 slug liner w/ 1:16 twist is doing well for me using 22.5 Varmint Knockers and 23gr NSA slugs at 925fps.

I was surprised when my liner measured 1:16 when it was supposed to be 1:18.

I will ask UA today myself. Maybe Mike will shed some light? 

600mm 22 slug liner w/ 1:16 twist is doing well for me using 22.5 Varmint Knockers and 23gr NSA slugs at 925fps.

I was surprised when my liner measured 1:16 when it was supposed to be 1:18.

Hi Bob_O 

Who has Varmint Knockers? I know I have heard the name before, but did not know to pay attention.

I ordered a sample pack, but now it seems they will be to heavy. Then I realized 25 of each will not be enough for me to learn how to tune if the weights keep changing?

Eamon

Different story here, but also confused as.......

I am not from the US, but from Belgium-Europe. First i got told i needed to wait until September 2019 to get a Slug liner for my Crown. (That was on Feb. 12) Suddenly, the 13th, i see that they are for sale in the Netherlands. Confusing number 1. I ordered one. A STX Slug liner A 600mm, part number FX20071.

The day after, UPS drops off something like wrapped cardboard. I open it up......and yes there is A liner, loose in it. No plastic around it, dry as hell, NO PARTNUMBER....Confusing number 2. I had NO idea if it was a slug or a pellet liner. Since that day, i am asking EVERYONE who has anything to do with FX Airguns, HOW TO IDENTIFY THE DIFFERENT LINERS. Supose i also get the B liner for the bigger pellets. Than i got 3 600mm liners laying on the table, and NO WAY to tell which is the slug liner. NO ANSWER TO THZT QUESTION. How can they see the difference? With measurements?

I sent the one I received back for a refund(no problem)

Why? Because i will never use parts I can’t identify on anything. I am cutious if EVER someone from FX is gonna tell how i can tell it’s a slug or a pellet liner. Look how I received it. Normal?

1550505628_13127304955c6ad69c06b2b5.06136915_082A55A5-9797-42D0-BBDD-61673D5C9EA4.jpeg

I might be able to clear this up, as I worked in the FX factory quite a bit and know the exact differences between the liners.

1) The pellet liner A should have a much slower twist rate. If you put it next to a slug liner you will see a clear difference. The slug liner will be 1:16” or 1:18”, depending on which batch it is from (newer batches have faster twist rates to accommodate guys that want to shoot heavier slugs in custom Impacts)

2) Pellet liner A should have deeper lands (smaller diameter). Slug liner is made to have much shallower lands to reduce friction and fouling.

3) All liners are choked - The choke on the slug liner is very different to the pellet liners, but you will not notice the difference with the naked eye.

I can’t really tell you much about the Pellet Liner B because I haven’t really had much interest in it. I am just not a fan of JSB Monsters at all - They destabilize way too easily with any kind of external destabilizing force. The pellet B liners SHOULD have slower twist rates than the slug liner.

As for the packaging, I agree that it is not acceptable for liners to arrive poorly packaged and without markings. I spoke to FX and FX USA this morning, and they assured me that they will be working on a solution to mark the barrels clearly. Hopefully we see that soon ao the confusion is cleared up.

Matt

I might be able to clear this up, as I worked in the FX factory quite a bit and know the exact differences between the liners.

1) The pellet liner A should have a much slower twist rate. If you put it next to a slug liner you will see a clear difference. The slug liner will be 1:16” or 1:18”, depending on which batch it is from (newer batches have faster twist rates to accommodate guys that want to shoot heavier slugs in custom Impacts)

2) Pellet liner A should have deeper lands (smaller diameter). Slug liner is made to have much shallower lands to reduce friction and fouling.

3) All liners are choked - The choke on the slug liner is very different to the pellet liners, but you will not notice the difference with the naked eye.

I can’t really tell you much about the Pellet Liner B because I haven’t really had much interest in it. I am just not a fan of JSB Monsters at all - They destabilize way too easily with any kind of external destabilizing force. The pellet B liners SHOULD have slower twist rates than the slug liner.

As for the packaging, I agree that it is not acceptable for liners to arrive poorly packaged and without markings. I spoke to FX and FX USA this morning, and they assured me that they will be working on a solution to mark the barrels clearly. Hopefully we see that soon ao the confusion is cleared up.

Matt

Thanks Matt!...I appreciate your input, do you have a 700 0.25 slug liner to share? ;) Sorry I meant have you test it already (seen your videos on 0.22)

Thx Matt!

I did send mine back and gonna buy one agzin in about 6 monts. Maybe by then they have a dymo label printer, found in every store. Different size labels/stickers.

Yesterday i also received a very friendly answer form the service adress. I quote :

Thank you for ordering the Slug Liner! Right now, both the Slug Liner and Pellet Liner A have a engraved line around the breech end of the liner, where as the Pellet Liner B has 2 lines engraved. The only other way to tell the difference would be to "trace the twist" of the line

Different story here, but also confused as.......

I am not from the US, but from Belgium-Europe. First i got told i needed to wait until September 2019 to get a Slug liner for my Crown. (That was on Feb. 12) Suddenly, the 13th, i see that they are for sale in the Netherlands. Confusing number 1. I ordered one. A STX Slug liner A 600mm, part number FX20071.

The day after, UPS drops off something like wrapped cardboard. I open it up......and yes there is A liner, loose in it. No plastic around it, dry as hell, NO PARTNUMBER....Confusing number 2. I had NO idea if it was a slug or a pellet liner. Since that day, i am asking EVERYONE who has anything to do with FX Airguns, HOW TO IDENTIFY THE DIFFERENT LINERS. Supose i also get the B liner for the bigger pellets. Than i got 3 600mm liners laying on the table, and NO WAY to tell which is the slug liner. NO ANSWER TO THZT QUESTION. How can they see the difference? With measurements?

I sent the one I received back for a refund(no problem)

Why? Because i will never use parts I can’t identify on anything. I am cutious if EVER someone from FX is gonna tell how i can tell it’s a slug or a pellet liner. Look how I received it. Normal?

1550505628_13127304955c6ad69c06b2b5.06136915_082A55A5-9797-42D0-BBDD-61673D5C9EA4.jpeg

i got exactly the same package from Krale stores.