FX FX King ??

Just curious those that have one what do you think of it ? Seems they are unavailable to import into the states. Largely out of stock seemingly since first shipment came in. The other odd thing is the few that are available are just sitting not selling. Makes me hesitant about them even though I love the looks.
I'll give you my honest opinion once mine get fixed...

Reactions: Trucker3573
Hi Guys,
I have had my 500mm .22 King for a couple of weeks now and am still playing around with it. I have been shooting a Crown MkII with the same .22 500mm barrel for a while. The Crown loves the 18.1 JSB's and is spot-on accurate out to 50 yds. Beyond 50 yds if there is much wind I start to see spiraling. So I got the King to shoot the heavier pellets, but didn't want the 600 mm barrel. The King came with a 600mm barrel which I managed to trade with a FX Dynamic owner for a 500mm (and shorter plenum). The King as setup from FX, even with the 500mm barrel and short plenum, was over powering the 18.1's. And that was with low reg pressure and low hammer spring compression. Too much air released on each shot. I replaced the 12g hammer it came with using the 10g (1mm head) hammer from my original FX Maverick compact. That helped. Then I got the Bullet Central modified pellet probe (Ernest Rowe design) and finally got it shooting the 18.1's accurately, but I still can't shoot as many mags off of one refill as I do with the Crown.

I am now on shooting the 25.39 JSB's. Switched the hammer and pellet probe back to the originals and I am getting close to the right tune. Will report later on where that seems to be.

As far as the rifle overall - I like it. I am a big fan of the GRS stocks because of the asymetric grips. The king is a fair bit heavier than the Crown, which I am sure is due to the steel barrel and additional metal for the barrel plenum. I hadn't realized the effect of the Crown's superlight barrel design.

I really have only two grips with the King:
1. The scope rail. It is too short to get the rings in a good position on the scope. I tried an older Element Helix 6-24x50 and I ran out of room for the front ring which meant I couldn't get the eye relief I needed at my preferred shooting position. The NX8 works ok, but not optimal ring positions.
2. There really isn't any place to put a pic rail for a bipod other than on the bottle. On my Crowns there was enough meat on the stock at the forend to put in a rail. But the King doesn't have enough room there. I am considering designing an extension that uses the stock mounting bolts to attach it. That will have to wait.
Cheers,
Greg

1. The scope rail. It is too short to get the rings in a good position on the scope. I tried an older Element Helix 6-24x50 and I ran out of room for the front ring which meant I couldn't get the eye relief I needed at my preferred shooting position. The NX8 works ok, but not optimal ring positions.
Did you consider using 'reach forward rings'? The bit of extra room they offer can be all it takes.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Hi Guys,
I have had my 500mm .22 King for a couple of weeks now and am still playing around with it. I have been shooting a Crown MkII with the same .22 500mm barrel for a while. The Crown loves the 18.1 JSB's and is spot-on accurate out to 50 yds. Beyond 50 yds if there is much wind I start to see spiraling. So I got the King to shoot the heavier pellets, but didn't want the 600 mm barrel. The King came with a 600mm barrel which I managed to trade with a FX Dynamic owner for a 500mm (and shorter plenum). The King as setup from FX, even with the 500mm barrel and short plenum, was over powering the 18.1's. And that was with low reg pressure and low hammer spring compression. Too much air released on each shot. I replaced the 12g hammer it came with using the 10g (1mm head) hammer from my original FX Maverick compact. That helped. Then I got the Bullet Central modified pellet probe (Ernest Rowe design) and finally got it shooting the 18.1's accurately, but I still can't shoot as many mags off of one refill as I do with the Crown.

I am now on shooting the 25.39 JSB's. Switched the hammer and pellet probe back to the originals and I am getting close to the right tune. Will report later on where that seems to be.

As far as the rifle overall - I like it. I am a big fan of the GRS stocks because of the asymetric grips. The king is a fair bit heavier than the Crown, which I am sure is due to the steel barrel and additional metal for the barrel plenum. I hadn't realized the effect of the Crown's superlight barrel design.

I really have only two grips with the King:
2. There really isn't any place to put a pic rail for a bipod other than on the bottle. On my Crowns there was enough meat on the stock at the forend to put in a rail. But the King doesn't have enough room there. I am considering designing an extension that uses the stock mounting bolts to attach it. That will have to wait.
Cheers,
Greg
I mounted a mini arca for a tripod. I use a bottle clamp for the bipod. I would prefer one long rail for both.
1000005616-jpg.454216
1000005651.jpg

1000005616.jpg

Reactions: NAProf