• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

FX Independence

I received my .22 FX Independence on May 1st of last year and since that time there has been over 15,000 rounds put through it. Over half of those rounds were shot using the built in pump, the remaining using a FX floor pump or a tethered tank. The rifle has seen very little required maintenance none of which involved the pump. To date this is my go to rifle for overall shooting pleasure as it is EXTREMELY quiet and unbelievably accurate.

I also own an FX Royal .22, two Benjamin Marauders, one in .22 and another in .25, an older Gamo springer and a Benjamin 347. Since it is illegal to hunt ANYTHING in Pennsylvania with an air gun; I have to say no, I do not hunt with them. But lots and lots of F&T type shooting and off-hand shooting. All totaled I have exceeded 50,000 rounds in the past 17 months or so. 

I bought a .22 Indy in the fall of 2014, and overall, I've enjoyed playing with it immensely. As others said, its backyard friendly and accurate.

I was a long time "springer guy", wanted a PCP, but was not looking forward to a scuba setup, so when Indy came out, I thought it fit the bill perfectly. I chronied it extensively and found very flat sweet spots for all power levels where extreme spread stayed within 10fps. I now primarily use middle power setting, which produces ~17 ft/lb with JSB 18.13s, and yields 6 very consistent shots starting at ~192 bar. At power level 3 - I get 32 ft/lb and 3 very consistent shots starting at 162 bar.

Things to consider when buying an Indy: 
Do do research on the Indy pump. Many folks have had no problems with theirs, but many others had to rebuild it. When I took mine apart - there was a considerable amount of water inside after about a tin or two of pellets (all pumped and shot indoors). Information on Indy pump maintenance is scarce. 
You also "pay" for the onboard pump in the form of additional weight and mechanical complexity. Indy is certainly not a lightweight woodswalker.

So, as far as advise - if you are fine with owning external HPA sources - and are not hung up on "self-sufficiency" - the case for Indy is not very strong. Otherwise - its not like you have much of a choice :)

I had purchased an fx Indy .22 first impression was awesome. I liked the thought of on board air, high power, compact. When I first got the gun it was the gun I always dreamed of having. It shot great until the about the third tin of pellets. I didn't have the gun a full year yet and it was already giving me problems. The pump was a big issue. The pump arm would pop out of place and would not stay closed. I had sent it back to AOA three different times but the problem never resolved. I expected a little more from a gun that costs upwards of two grand. I got so frustrated with it I decided to trade it in for a daystate wolverine b. For me the pump arm was a big problem. I'm not sure If the pump issue happens all the time with the independence/Indy. But it did with mine. I don't like these pump arm guns based on my experience with them. If you purchase eather of these guns I hope the work better for you than they did for me. I wouldn't necessarily recommend them. But that's based on my experience. Maybe I just have bad luck! 

It is unfortunate you had problems with the pump arm on the Indy. 

I recently had to replace the bearing in the pump arm joint of my .22 Independence, however it was covered under warranty. Plus the rifle had over 15,000 rounds shot through it - so I am OK with the bearing wearing out. Just this weekend alone I shot another tin of 500 JSB's through the rifle in preparation for the Crosman shoot coming up in June.