• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fx impact

So with the new power upgrade which caliber is best between (.22 vs .25)? Granted this is a loaded question with many opinions about which is best. I welcome all feedback and ask everyone to be respectful of each other insight. Not worried about slugs so that's out of the picture.. thinking of compact but I like standard version in the 600mm barrel format.

I have the crown in .25 cal and uragan compact in .22 @890 with 18gr.. 

So I really just want remarkable accuracy long range and close! Hope that helps with what I want and also want a great shot count!!

From my tiny experience the accuracy is definitely there for the impact in any caliber platform I have. It shoots better then I can look through the glass....

as for shot count. I think the best advice I can give there. Is find the caliber you want and weight. Then fine tune the regulator and hammer to optimize velocity and shot count. The Impact has a huge bottle compared to my FX wildcat Compact. I shoot about 50% more shots out of it. 

if your shooting and mainly paper then why not .22? Cheaper ammo. 
if your hunting, then I think the question is what will you go for? Nielsen, Griffin and even FX make some great Slugs in .22 that get pretty high in grains.

forgivr the newbie advice from me

I got the Power Plenum retrofitted by FX and have the setup for 22 and 25 for my First generation Impact X with STX barrels. I hunt mostly jack rabbits and some birds for food. Currently running 22 only, going for prey up to 75 yards out. That’s just how far the bunnies are out. Many closer, none further. The 22 cal in 600mm works fine for me using mostly pellets. With the extra power I went from JSB 18 to JSB 25 grain Exact Jumbo Monster.

i experiment from time to time with other pellets and slugs but usually return to those two pellet weights. Slugs seem to perform better further out so if you do farm bird pesting may be worth it. For me the above setup is working well. 

Shot count isn’t that important to me either. One fill can get all the rabbits I can carry regardless of caliber. Cost of ammo only comes in tp play for plinking or target shooting. A great day hunting usually doesn’t empty the magazine.enyway and still fills the bucket with rabbits.

I don't have the plenum yet (on order). I originally had the .25 with 600mm barrel and i shot alot of steel, spinners, dueling trees , plates ect. At 50 yards it will deform airgun steel targets (crosman squirrels) shooting jsb MKII 34grn at just under 900. So i upgraded all my steel targets to .22lr rated. Since then i have switched the gun over to 700mm .22 in anticipation of jsb knockouts, and the power left me wanting. My 22lr dueling tree won't lock up with a 26grn .22 at 900fps. I am still adjusting literally and figuratively. So if i can archive a tighter group in a commercially available (cheaper) slug vs the .25 ill be happy. Oh and as for the length that you want the 700mm runs quieter than shorter barrels so less sound moderation is needed, so the OAL of the gun might, within user preference, be the same.

If you hunt then .25 all the way, a lot more forgiving! 

I am debating on getting .22 but that’s purely because I don’t have a big yard, granted I tuned my .25 pellet to about 730 FPS and I think it would work ok. my main concern is even at 730 FPS the 25.4 pellets can go through an inch of wood but a .22 pellet at 850 can do the same if not more penetration. 

My 25 Impact should get delivered later this week.

Like you, I went round/round on 22 or 25, for the areas that I am shooting. I went with the 25. Reasoning for me was a few times a year, I will need to take care of a few Coyotes on my friends property. When that happens the 25 and right slug should take care of the problem. Other than that, the 22 would have been perfect for me and my needs. 

Back to your question, what is the purpose of your gun.. Define the purpose, and the answers will come in pretty easily.