• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact X Excessive Regulator Creep

As Bob O said … shoot the gun some more and let the regulator get broken in. Most regulators will take 500 to 1000 rounds to get settled down. If the problem continues past that it might be time to call Ernest Rowe at FXUSA and get his advice. How is it doing as far as accuracy? It could be nothing more than a faulty gage … Fx gages are noted for not being the most accurate in the world.

As Bob O said … shoot the gun some more and let the regulator get broken in. Most regulators will take 500 to 1000 rounds to get settled down. If the problem continues past that it might be time to call Ernest Rowe at FXUSA and get his advice. How is it doing as far as accuracy? It could be nothing more than a faulty gage … Fx gages are noted for not being the most accurate in the world.

im using EDMU Digital gauges which is supposed to be accurate within 1 bar.

You can try to raise set point to 140 and retune? Maybe will have less creep. If neither that nor shooting it improves the creep I would consider a HUMA or contacting Ernest.

You can try to raise set point to 140 and retune? Maybe will have less creep. If neither that nor shooting it improves the creep I would consider a HUMA or contacting Ernest.

ill give it a try thanks for the tips.

If you’ve ever seen a regulator and understand its mechanics you would see that the poppet valve, as it’s the standard valve type used, will either have a delrin base on one end of it, or, if there is none, the delrin will be on what the valve presses against. It is the delrin part that develops an imprint from the valve from a continuous cycle. During break-in the delrin face will mate with the closing and opening end of the valve; when the regulator is still new there may still be tiny openings or gaps between the delrin face and the valve stem even when the stem is seated against it and this is what causes reg creep. Thus, when the regulator has then gone through the break-in period, shot-to-shot consistency should be improved.

I feel like FX may not have done themselves a favor by normalizing dual-gauges because, suddenly, every little pressure climb is analyzed and noted. Whereas with many other guns, you flat out have no idea what your reg is outputting. Remember when guns had no regs and you could shoot from 200 to 100 bar? Pepperidge Farm remembers. :p 

Humor aside, I'm guessing given your handle is "Miami guy" you're not going from cold to warm temps with your gun? Because that will cause the plenum pressure to climb, through no fault of your reg or the gun's design at all. Going from 50F to 70F should cause a 5 bar gain. I explain in a little more detail here:
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-crown-reg-creep/

As an aside, the reg on my Crown had to break in too. It appears normal. *shrug* 

If you’ve ever seen a regulator and understand its mechanics you would see that the poppet valve, as it’s the standard valve type used, will either have a delrin base on one end of it, or, if there is none, the delrin will be on what the valve presses against. It is the delrin part that develops an imprint from the valve from a continuous cycle. During break-in the delrin face will mate with the closing and opening end of the valve; when the regulator is still new there may still be tiny openings or gaps between it and the valve stem even when the stem is seated against it and this is what causes reg creep. Thus, when the regulator has then gone through the break-in period, shot-to-shot consistency should be improved.

this makes sense lets hope it does break in.