• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact - which hand do you cock with?

I shoot left handed, I’m right hand but left eye dominant, and have been shooting this way for 45 years. When I got my Impact 2 months ago I kept the cocking lever on the right side. I shot it like that for the six weeks and then thought, ”hey, I could make this a left handed gun so I should” and I moved the cocking lever to the right side. I shot it once that way and hated it. Just moved it back 30 minutes ago.

Not only did I keep reaching for the lever with my right hand but it took longer when I did remember because I have to remove my hand from the grip and then replace it and find the trigger again. With it on the right side, I never move my hand from the grip or finger from the trigger. On the bench I keep my right hand on the cocking lever and if I’m not on a bench I have a strong enough hold with my left hand it’s still easier to cock with right hand.

If you have time, watch this video:
Matt Dubber talks about having trouble with the lighter cocking motion on the Impact he was shooting and you can see him falter on the cocking motion twice in the speed event. It may have cost him the match. The guy that wins the event has an attachment that extends below the gun and attaches to the lever still on the right allowing him to cock with his left hand. The guy he beats is cocking with his trigger hand. The funny part is that both of these guys work for Utah Airguns and both could have switched the gun to cock with their left hand. I’ll bet money there will be shooters that do this next year…

Just wondering if anyone else has set their Impact up to use the cocking lever with their non trigger hand. It’s an easy change, try it to see if you like it as much as I do.

Reactions: Chichi
In my best “neighor who’s looking at the leg lamp with Ralph‘s dad on ”A Christmas Story”” voice, ”Damn hell, you use whatever hand that the cocking arm is on“? :)

Watching the videos from the Utah event, I think the only shooter I noticed that shoots his Impact and cocks with his opposite trigger hand is the owner of FX. Maybe I missed some others but I know the majority use just the trigger hand keeping their other hand on or near the butt of the gun.

YOU guys all understand this, I wonder why the guys in the Utah event haven’t figured it out!

The only true left hand guns I own are a Lyman Deerstalker flintlock and two Stag Ar-15’s. All my bolt guns are right handed and I like being able to look directly into the action. I’ll never buy a left handed bolt action rifle for that reason and now with the Impact experience I don’t want the bolt on the left side.

Reactions: Ingwe
Maybe you guys all shoot paper.
But from a hunting perspective it’s better to cock with the trigger hand. Because u can maintain the target in scope.
For me this depends on the gun I’m using. With my MRod this is the case as the trigger hand is far back and the gun is front heavy (heavy and bulky overall). Really hard to keep on target with just my left hand holding. And of course, I don’t have a choice with this gun but if I did a left hand model would suit me better. With the Impact the trigger hand is more forward and under the gun allowing it to be held on target with that hand and work the action. This one I have a choice and I don’t want it…