FX Impact vs FX Maverick

This topic was beat to death when the Maverick came out but basically the extra $500 is for the ability to control the valve. If you don’t think it’s necessary, and many fantastic guns have proven it’s not, buy a Maverick and spend the $500 on other stuff. If you’re wondering why would I need to control my valve, then a Maverick is probably the next logical step for your next PCP.

This topic was beat to death when the Maverick came out but basically the extra $500 is for the ability to control the valve. If you don’t think it’s necessary, and many fantastic guns have proven it’s not, buy a Maverick and spend the $500 on other stuff. If you’re wondering why would I need to control my valve, then a Maverick is probably the next logical step for your next PCP.

Honestly man, this was great way to put it for me , and im greatly appreciative. 

So last year I got into airguns

With an Umarex hammer and Hatsan flashpup ... terrible mistakes....

I now have a Texan .308 , talon P, my step sons prod,an artemis pistol and a recently acquired FX Dreamline .22 that I put in an ACZ chassis..... 

After shooting the fx i want nothing to do with any of my other rifles lol So needless to say , Ive got air supply figured out and beat to death and "bullet proofed" but I am still learning these rifles, I have no idea why I'd want to control the valve and I feel looking into that might be 1 step ahead of where I should be at this point. 

@vetmx thank you very much!

I guarantee there are many Maverick’s outshooting Impacts with slugs and pellets. Either you know what you’re doing or you don’t. Having the ability to make fine adjustments comes at a price of the guns ability to hold those settings. It’s worth it to some and to some it’s not. Even the Maverick having 2 regs over a Wildcat is an advantage. But it comes at a price. You have more things that can go wrong or get you chasing your tail. 

Can I ask what would be your caliber choice (regardless of either Maverick or Impact)? Next question would be do you plan to shoot slugs?

I do not hunt at all, but I like the idea of being able to hit hard. Pointless, I know. So I would like to shoot slugs yes but not a necessity, it would be .25 or possibly a .30.

If you don’t hunt at all, then you might consider a “simpler” gun than either of the two that you are considering. They were designed with multiple regulators to support high powered configurations for shooting slugs. I like FX guns, but these two in particular seem a bit complex for target shooting with pellets. For target shooting with pellets, simplicity helps as you are looking to achieve consistent, repeatable accuracy - so minimizing variables might be advisable. Simple might also benefit maintenance - as you have less o-rings (points of maintenance) in a simpler rifle. If you are set on FX, than perhaps a Crown or Dreamline for target?

If you don’t hunt at all, then you might consider a “simpler” gun than either of the two that you are considering. They were designed with multiple regulators to support high powered configurations for shooting slugs. I like FX guns, but these two in particular seem a bit complex for target shooting with pellets. For target shooting with pellets, simplicity helps as you are looking to achieve consistent, repeatable accuracy - so minimizing variables might be advisable. Simple might also benefit maintenance - as you have less o-rings (points of maintenance) in a simpler rifle. If you are set on FX, than perhaps a Crown or Dreamline for target?

i take exception to this as my mavericks usually have a sd of 2 so i think you can dial the gun in to near perfection with a higher shot count if you do your part tuning.

I have had both and prefer the Impact but that may be due to the fact that I had an Impact before the Maverick. To me the Impact is the preferred option but plenty of more capable shooters than myself are doing incredible things with both guns My Maverick had some issues, it was a very early production and tuning the impact was easier for me I actually preferred my Wildcat mk3 over the Maverick for simplicity. I have two MkII Impacts now and one MK3. There are so many good options and everyone has their own opinion and experience Honestly, I don’t think you will go wrong no matter what you choose.

I have shot my Maverick in 25 compact and 30 sniper configurations. I really enjoy the 25 compact. It is very handy, better shot count, quiet for it's power, and a great compromise caliber.

Yeah I really like the idea of a Maverick Compact in .25cal now that I have 2 Mavericks. There is a definite weight difference between the 500mm barrel with the 300 cc tank and the 700mm barrel and the 580cc tank. I converted my 22 Compact to a 600mm 22cal and 480cc tank. I wish I would have just bought a .25cal 500mm barrel. I think it would have been the ultimate squirrel gun. Now I have a Sniper .25cal to go with the 22cal. I'm thinking about getting a 600mm .25cal barrel to go along with the 700mm 25cal barrel I have. Since I own 2 already I have been thinking about getting a Wildcat MK3 in .25cal Sniper version or get an M3 compact in .25cal. Once you use the slug transfer port with the slug pin probe (Get the Huma version over the kit in my opinion) along with a heavier hammer weight, slugs are no problem I have my Sniper .25cal shoot JSB knockouts 33.49 at 980fps with ease on PW3. They shoot 1035 on PW7 with more IHS to go to max out. If you're going to buy a airgun with 2 regulators the one thing you need for sure is a compressor or several tanks because it will take you some time to figure out how to efficiently tune these guns. Airguns require knowledge, so if you like to learn and you and knowledge have become friends over the years, then you will do just fine. 

I have both (in compact and sniper versions), and both are great ... I use more the mav for hunting, and the Impact for hunting and benchrest

IMO (and just pure feeling, I do not have raw data) why the impact is more expensive?:

- More shots (the mag hold more shots)

- Smoother: The impact sound less, the Action sound of the Mav when you shoot, sound louder

- Safe: The safe for the trigger is better located in the Impact

- Weight: considering .22 sniper 700mm barrel, the impact m2 feels lighter (and is a bit lighter too)

- Tinkering: You have more option to make internal adjustments (if you like that, I do)

Beside that, both work good and are very accurate...I will also use the Mav for bench (meaning is accurate). 

My 2 cents

I’ve been an impact fan boy for a long time but as time and technology progresses I am finding weak point from Impact and some of the weak points from Maverick get addressed. However my biggest gripe is that ping in the ear from Maverick/traditional bullpup which won’t go away. However, with that out of the way the maverick might is a little better at target works at full power.

The main reason I say that is the maverick has a much stiffer chassis!!! as power goes higher the Impact chassis flex really shows up and becomes unpleasant for me. The valve adjustment is fantastic BUT with carbon liner sleeves it’s not nearly as important at before. I have no issues finding accuracy WITHOUT the valve adjustment on my crown after the carbon therapy. I still LOVE my impact but as the technology progress the impact needs a full redesign with a stiff chassis like the delta wolf!!!