FX Impact vs Dreamline

Buy a used .22 Streamline, or even a new one... You can pick up a used Streamline in synthetic stock for under $800 if you keep your eyes open. I bought a used .22 Streamline black pepper laminate stock this past weekend for a friend of mine for $850. Gun is like new... Shooting 18.1 grain JSB at 875 FPS, and every bit as accurate as a Dreamline or Impact... Has 3 step power adjuster for shorter backyard shots like you're planning at 25 yards.

I recommend you buy something that meets your needs without exceeding ... with the dreamline you can reach targets without problems up to 75 yards and also you can adjust it externally... the amount of shots its not a big problem, for shooting squirrels @25yards you donde need too much power so you can decrease power and gain some extra shots.... buying the dreamline($999) instead of the impact($2.050), you can buy a good scope($300), mounts($50), range finder($200), 45 cu. ft carbon fiber tank($355), and also about 6 tins of pellets...... 

Impact = OVERKILL! Even Dreamline is overkill at 25 yards. Impact ain't no gun for newbies to high end guns either. Too many things can go wrong. It's got a zillion O-rings that can fail, you name it, it's complex.

Streamline if you like a traditional gun, Dreamline if you like the Lite, but I'd avoid an Impact unless you want to spend serious time tuning to your likes 

Yes, I own an Impact. I love the gun, but too much gun for your purpose.

So I’m on the wait list for a dreamline, and I’m back and forth with the impact. This will be my first FX gun. Besides the price will there be significant performance in accuracy, power, or reliability? I plan to shoot squirrels with a 22 @ 25 yards. Likely overkill with either gun, but want to make an informed decision between the 2 models.

stonerwinst,

Assuming that you've already made up your mind to get either the Dreamline or the Impact, allow me to ask you one question. If you decide to get the Dreamline (no doubt you will be thrilled with it), will you then wish you had spent more and gotten the Impact? If your answer is yes, then by all means before you plunk down all that hootch, go to Youtube and watch every one of Ernest Rowe's Master Class videos on how to tear that gun down and put it back together. Take the time to learn that gun before you buy. Go in to that purchase with the confidence that if anything needs repair, you can do it. 

I was drawn to the Impact early on. But I drug my feet for a long time fearing that I'd regret it. That is, until Ernest Rowe's Master Class videos were published on Youtube. After watching them, my fears disappeared. I've owned an Impact for a couple months now and am fully competent to tear it down, fix it, put it back together, tune it to near perfection, and I'm as happy as a clam in cold wet sand. I'm not intimidated any longer. I'm glad I spent the extra and got what I really wanted. I'm not second-guessing myself. 

If after watching Ernest's videos you have any doubts, then choose something else. I wouldn't recommend the Impact to anyone that didn't know exactly what he was getting into. 

If popping squirrels at 25 yards is all you want from an airgun, then just about anything will do. For 35 years, a Beeman R7 (HW 30) was all I had, and it was all I needed. No squirrel within 25 yards had a chance. But if you want more, LOTS more, then start watching those videos.

Just this afternoon, I dropped a coyote at 70 yards with my Impact .25. It just doesn't get any better than that!!!

Hope this helps.

BeemanR7

I am pretty new to airguns with an FWB 124 and 65 being my only previous guns so take what I say with a grain of salt. People here know more than I will likely ever learn. I recently bought an FX Impact X .25 primarily for squirrels in back yard at 18 yards. The Impact X is an absolute death ray. I dial the power back to "B" for 820fps and with the Donny FL moderator is super quiet. Dialed up to MAX at 50 yards it is a one hole group. At 150 yards a 6" steel plate is a piece of cake. I have never messed with the factory regulator settings and see no need to with this degree of accuracy. I think people run into problems when they don't carefully follow the factory supplied directions. FX has boosted their warranty to 3 years and they have great customer service. If you can afford it you will never regret the purchase. As the famous big game hunter Robert Ruark once said "use enough gun"! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Reactions: sonny
Most decent air rifles will do well for your purpose. I bought a streamline 22 because I’m super picky about my powder burners and wanted a good pcp. It has exceeded my expectations and I take it out to 100yard fairly often. I have gotten a few starlings close to the 110yrd mark. Now I also have an edgun r5m long 25, it’s my go too gun just because it has a better scope and I like the feel of it. If your wanting a fx and shooting at 25yards I would look at a bullpup(wildcat). It’s simple, light and accurate plus I very rarely see bad reviews on it it’s also very accurate at longer ranges. 

Beeman nailed it. If you are going to regret it later, just go for the impact now if money isnt the issue. Ive had mine since Nov. in .22 and Absolutely love it. The extent of my tuning has been turning the power dial.

i am also very mechanical and love tinkering with things. So when the time comes, i’m comfortable watching some videos and open her up to replace orings or parts. 

Having said that, if money were an issue, the dreamline looks pretty sweet for $1k.