FX FX Impact vs BRK Ghost !!!

...in my little world it's the first shot from a cold gun that matters...

...this is why I never got an FX, and why I may return the Ghost...
What’s wrong with the first shot of your Ghost? If it’s because of a higher/lower first shot after left sitting for a while, it’s because your hammer spring tension and plenum pressure are not in a balanced state of tune. This is the nature of regulated PCPs if they are not tuned properly. You would need to arrive at a setting at which the hammer strike force and the force behind the valve seat are proportional, or almost for a little more shots while still being consistent. If you want first-shot dependability I think a nonregulated PCP would be your ticket, but you’ll need to accept shooting within a very narrow power curve, which would mean a much lower shot count. And you’ll still have to find that curve with a chrony, which is still the same task as that performed on a regulated rifle. The only difference being that you could “choose” the curve you want on the regged gun and would be able to extend it multifold.😉😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Hapo and Franklink
...in my little world it's the first shot from a cold gun that matters...

...this is why I never got an FX, and why I may return the Ghost...

Hey Hapo, I've already posted all of this in multiple places in multiple forums.

With my tri-tune the stable regulator pressure is a compromise for the low power tune, but just right for the mid and high power tunes.

That makes it a higher-than-necessary pressure for the 19.5fpe tune. Which makes me rely on a very light hammer tap for that "tune." That light hammer tap (minimum on power wheel) plus the too-high-for-power reg pressure makes the first shots when the gun is "cold" have low fps.

In contrast, the other end of the tri-tune is just right for the desired speed for the slugs, so the first shot is only 10-15fps slow (bout 860-868fps), and then the second (and the rest) shots are between 870-880. That first shot being slightly low is inconsequential, as 864 will hit the same impact point as 875, even out to 100 yards.

Tune it correctly for one projectile and it'll be dependable on the first shot.

My buddy Tony (@pesty3782 ) and his wife @5Power have 3 or 4 Ghosts. They tune them to shoot one projectile at a desired speed and don't have the first shot be slow.

A chronograph is your friend.

...thank you @ Franklink for reposting that detailed information...I found it very helpful and informative...

...still, I may be too simple for either of these guns...the FX guns were a hard pass...very interesting, but too much going on with those for me...

...I had AoA tune my Ghost for JSB .22 18.13 pellets so may haps I would be GTG here...

...they have the regulator at a bit over 100psi and the HP hammer spring set at 1...

...perhaps I would need to put the medium weight spring they sent with the Ghost in it...???...Chris said I shouldn't need it unless I wanted to shoot slower...

...I don't have a chronograph, but I can tell if the POI changes, eh...

...I suppose if I return it, I won't have anything to fret over or post aboot...(grin)

...there is not much to post/write aboot with the Cayden or Talon rifles...they just work and seem immune to the passage of time...

...can't say that aboot the Air Mak Caiman but no one wants to talk aboot it...if it had not failed me, I would not have bought the Ghost...

...Franklink's Ghost adventures with the resized JSB .22 18.13 grain pellets do have me considering a .20 cal. barrel for the Talon, eh...

...in light of the new to me information I had overlooked, I suppose I will at least try the Ghost, although it may prove to be a bit complicated for me...

...I picked it in the first place because it seemed to embody many of the attributes of the FX M3 Impact without some of the complications...

...I was mildly discouraged to read here that the FX is more powerful and a better slug gun...yet that may well be irrelevant for me...

...a large part of the attraction of these high-end pellet guns is how deadly they can be at close range w/o being a hazard a mile down range...

...shooting 40 grain slugs @ 1000 FPS would pretty much obviate that aspect...sometimes less is more...it's hard not to want more, though...

Last edited:
Hey Hapo, I've already posted all of this in multiple places in multiple forums.

With my tri-tune the stable regulator pressure is a compromise for the low power tune, but just right for the mid and high power tunes.

That makes it a higher-than-necessary pressure for the 19.5fpe tune. Which makes me rely on a very light hammer tap for that "tune." That light hammer tap (minimum on power wheel) plus the too-high-for-power reg pressure makes the first shots when the gun is "cold" have low fps.

In contrast, the other end of the tri-tune is just right for the desired speed for the slugs, so the first shot is only 10-15fps slow (bout 860-868fps), and then the second (and the rest) shots are between 870-880. That first shot being slightly low is inconsequential, as 864 will hit the same impact point as 875, even out to 100 yards.

Tune it correctly for one projectile and it'll be dependable on the first shot.

My buddy Tony (@pesty3782 ) and his wife @5Power have 3 or 4 Ghosts. They tune them to shoot one projectile at a desired speed and don't have the first shot be slow.

A chronograph is your friend.
On your tune for the slugs is the power wheel on max @ 870-880 with just enough reg pressure (plus a little bit) to get that speed?

On your tune for the slugs is the power wheel on max @ 870-880 with just enough reg pressure (plus a little bit) to get that speed?

Max hammer tension+regulator @ 128bar = 870-880 was the the .20/18.9gr NSA slugs.

This is with the 0.047" wire hammer hammer spring, that was being called "medium" by BRK/AOA at one point. And this is using the r ally light skeletonized hammer.

If I bump the reg to 140 bar it'll push the same 18.9gr slugs to 950 on MAX hammer tension, all else being the same. 920-930 with less hammer spring seemed as good or maybe better than the 870-880. Accuracy wasn't as good faster, starting at about 940.

Reactions: Aristovertex
What’s wrong with the first shot of your Ghost? If it’s because of a higher/lower first shot after left sitting for a while, it’s because your hammer spring tension and plenum pressure are not in a balanced state of tune. This is the nature of regulated PCPs if they are not tuned properly. You would need to arrive at a setting at which the hammer strike force and the force behind the valve seat are proportional, or almost for a little more shots while still being consistent. If you want first-shot dependability I think a nonregulated PCP would be your ticket, but you’ll need to accept shooting within a very narrow power curve, which would mean a much lower shot count. And you’ll still have to find that curve with a chrony, which is still the same task that performed on a regulated rifle. The only difference being that you could “choose” the curve you want on the regged gun and would be able to extend it multifold.😉😉

...I wasn't having trouble...I have yet to shoot the Ghost...I was reading where Franklink was having trouble, but thanks to your post now I know why...

...I was afraid I would have the same problem with the first shot...that would be a real issue for me...

...Franklink elaborated upon the issue, but you did provide a succinct coherent explanation and I wanted to say thank you...

...I had already considered just sticking to unregulated guns...my guns tend to sit for extended periods and shot count is not that important to me...

...I was excited when they came out with reliable, accurate repeaters...having quick follow up shots available just seems more humane...

...at first, I had thought all these new regulated guns would be the best thing since sliced bread, but TINSTAAFL, eh...

...I pretty much knew what I wanted, but not how to get it...it's guys like you that make Airgun Nation great...

...as mentioned, my first modern regulated air rifle turned out to be a disappointment...I knew what I wanted, but didn't get it...

...I have always admired the FX Impact but saw it as a can o worms...I may well pull the trigger on this Ghost...I haven't sent it back yet...

Reactions: spinj
Look at pics above from SorenDrost. Thats a stock Ghost. The Ghost is accurate - so is the M3
Are we pretending an off the shelf Ghost is as accurate as the one Fady used to set the World Record in 50M BR? Honey don’t play dat. 😉
PS., you did not get to cherry pick your groups in actual competition.

...at least he isn't insisting an Avenge is the equivalate of an FX M3 or a Ghost...

...I might argue that for some, if not most of us, for the difference in price we would be better off buying $1000 worth of pellets to practice with...

...FWIW, I have still not actually shot my Ghost...it is still packed up with an MRA number on it...but...I haven't sent it back...:confused:

Last edited:
Are we pretending an off the shelf Ghost is as accurate as the one Fady used to set the World Record in 50M BR? Honey don’t play dat. 😉
PS., you did not get to cherry pick your groups in actual competition.
No we are not. I´m refering to the stock Ghost.
All competition rifles (no matter brand) are modded / tuned / changed and cannot be compared to the stock ones - even though base is same which also has a meaning.
The pictures I posted earlier is from a Danish guy shooting the standard .177 Ghost up to 150 yeards. Tell me if thats not accurate

Last edited: