• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact tuning funky-nightmare

Alright well, here goes..

Just wanna apologize in advance, I have never been a writer or been known to stay on track. "Happy ADHD Day!" Ill at least add some pictures of dead prairie dogs as a bribe to get ya through the post..

Yesterday I had this great idea to attempt to tune my impact for the .25 33gr JSB Mk2's. Lord what an job that proved to be.

I have had the gun shooting the 25gr'rs with a reg setting of about 125(ish) "Since we know how accurate FX gauges are LMAO" power setting of 5 and front bumper set on around line 3. Thats what I was getting better accuracy from, shooting 890-900. 

Back Story.

I recently took a trip out west to shoot some Prairie dogs and quickly found how smart the little suckers were, closest shot was around 90 yards. Now 90 yards isn't "that bad" when shooting these guns. Its pretty common to get 1-1 1/2 groups at that range on a good day. "Im far from a pro shooter" so Im happy with those groups. HOWEVER, out there, terrible conditions,lol. Said day we had varying gusts of 10-15 mph winds with alternating directions due to having to "Town-hop" causing me to be as lost as a goose in a soybean patch. My thoughts were "Hell, I got my wind meter, and strelock, Ill be ok." Well that was about as dumb of a statement as I could come up with. NONE of the data came close. So , it was pretty much a wing and a prayer getting me through the day. Now granted I still ended up shooting around 20, but BOY they are tough buggers. Only killed around 5 outright. So im sure you're thinking, ok blah blah blah, get to the point. SO, Point and case.

I get the bright idea to start researching the Mk2's for the higher ballistic coefficients. I read, discuss, read, discuss, read, pray, etc..

I come up with this, tune the gun to shoot the mk2's between 920-935. To myself, I think hell, that can't be hard. I watched a video on how to tune these suckers. Bring it on.

So, the "skillful" way of tuning these things that I "understood" was to do this..

Turn the regulator to 100. Turn the wheel to MAX. Unscrew the front valve-debouncing-device all the way out (Passed) 4 lines, shoot the weapon to desired FPS, keep regulator at this setting, then begin to screw the valve-debouncer-device in until the fps drops. Then adjust back out. BOOM. "Tuned"?

So the shooting begins. Adjusting the regulator until I reach the desired velocity. Easy right? Ha. RIIIIIGHT. So I begin this process, finally get the gun shooting 830. I think to myself, thats what everyone has said is the best or closest to the best. SO I start the process, fighting the valve-debouncer. Upon tightening, I would get crazy spikes and drops in FPS. So I get it as close as I can to it staying around 830. Shoot a shot string, 10 shots varying 828-835 fps. I wouldn't think this was too bad. I think to myself, HA BALLER. That wasn't that hard. Little did I know, this was just the beginning..

I set up a target at 60 yards, time to shoot some groups. First 5 shots, all within 1/2 in. Im thinking, DUDE you're a pro at this. So I set the gun down, go grab me a snicker-doodle and a adult beverage to celebrate me being a PRO-FESSIONAL because I watched a youtube video and tuned a gun. I come back out around 10 min or so later and spot a crow sitting beside my target. Im all like, you gotta be kidding, im going to CRUSH you. SO I pull up, place my cross hairs on his head, squeeze the trigger, a big ole swing and a MISS. The crow flies off, laughing so hard the neighbor crows heard and joined in. Im thinking to myself, Wha-Dah-Fart just happened? I look back down the cross hairs, let one fly, HOLY macaroni and cheese biscuits batman, that sucker shot 4 inches away from the original POI. I shoot another, same thing. AT this time, I begin getting flustered. I move back over to the chronograph and shoot another string, the fps has changed to 860 and under. Im noticing flyers, spirals, etc. I begin to get even more flustered. I try the process all over again and still couldn't replicate the accuracy or consistency of fps. SO I give up all hope on the 33gr'nrs and go back to the 25's. Which I remembered the "settings" of from before. I try replicating it the best I can, doing the same directions as above. I get my velocity at 890-900 and go to shooting groups, HORRIBLE. So, by this time I decide maybe its best to just put the gun up, step back, and take a break before the FX impact becomes a cute post for birds to land on wrapped around a tree. So if you're still with me through this post, heres the main question(s) I have.

What was/how did you use your rifles to get the best accuracy?

Was/is swapping to the 33gr the best to battle the wind? Real life, Not just because a computer app spits out a "BC" ?

Has anyone ever had this issue before?

The gun was shooting lights out prior to, Other then it would occasionally just decide to start shooting to the right or the left. No more then a few clicks.

1540325235_6882381065bcf7f73c27491.12339750_IMG_4183.JPG

1540325257_17814210275bcf7f89e57e43.01807294_IMG_4182.JPG
1540325274_13484722995bcf7f9a460c40.40609745_IMG_4181.JPG

I believe the factory setting on the reg is around 140-145 for the 25gr Kings. I would set the reg around 135-140 valve spring all the way out hammer spring maxed (clock wise) till there is very little movement when un cocked on max setting,you should be around 900+fps or so if not fast enough turn reg up a little more (counter clockwise),Then begin turning hammer spring counter clockwise and shoot over chronograph till speed drops 880-900, then start to turn in your valve spring adjuster and do the same. I'm shooting the mk1 34gr heavy's at 880fps reg set at 149bar according to gauges? Its giving me 1/2inch groups at 58yrds consistently. They do shoot better for me in the wind than the 25grs.(Also you need to degas the gun and reg chamber before you turn reg pressure down clockwise or you will damage the reg)

Good Luck!

Hi,

Please check part number C3, this can cause what you are experiencing if it is broken or starting to fray.

Yep, this happened to me, I upped the power for the 34grain pellets and it destroyed the hammer bumper oring, I’ve now got a delrin one as Ernest’s video and have no trouble.

The easy way to check is to remove the Valve bumper housing and pull the shaft out with pliers to inspect the Oring, mine ended up in the hammer slide
1540339169_5904576175bcfb5e1032c03.12402402_FC0F0196-F471-4483-BF37-03B07820A880.jpeg
1540339170_13921219055bcfb5e22c65f3.23744414_44A92213-5409-4EDD-BCF0-1C855CC6CA63.jpeg

Sometimes all the cool easily accessible adjustments can be a recipie for problems.

Back in my racing days,a friend of mine purchased a 1986 KX250. That sucker had so many adjustable features that it was mind boggling! I'm suprised it didn't have a Seat Foam Density knob and a collar to adjust the spring preload on the kill switch. When he first picked it up,I rode it and it was pretty damn good! A week went by and he asked my opinion of his "setting modifications". That bike had all the handling manners of a waterbed mattress with handle bars going down a flight of stairs.

After I left the hospital, I told him I was going to confiscate all of his wrenches and screwdrivers.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes an assload of adjustability can be a liability. If I were to go with an FX,Personally,and knowing I'm a bit of a "fiddler"...I would most likely get a Streamline or Wildcat and try to keep myself out of the equation.

Mike.

Yep, this happened to me, I upped the power for the 34grain pellets and it destroyed the hammer bumper oring, I’ve now got a delrin one as Ernest’s video and have no trouble.

Where did you get the delrin one? Any other tips on doing the job?

Liam at Airfective Tuning did it, he’s our go to man for FX in the U.K.