• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact Troubleshooting and Corrections

Greetings All,

While this topic may grow to include several aspects and issue resolution, I wanted to start by asking the experts (you) about a specific issue that is currently driving me mad:

Yes, I did it to myself-- it's not the gun

I have an FX Impact M3 25 cal 700mm

Out of the blue, pellets started to become deformed and stuck in the transfer port. A short troubleshooting session showed that the liner had recessed away from the transfer port causing a gap between where the pellet would normally meet the lands/ grooves of the liner to become pinch point for any projectile. Normally that gap is controlled by the double threaded nut at the end of the barrel system that allows you to tighten the liner against the transfer port on one end and thread the baffle over the barrel on the other. Unfortunately that double threaded nut has become "stuck" in the baffle and any attempts to remove it are met with my frustrations.-- Basically I can't get the nut out of the baffle in order to ensure the liner is tightened security in the barrel housing- thus alleviating my liner/ transfer port gap.-- Any suggestions? I'm thinking about getting some blue lock-tight and threading the barrel into the baffle and allowing it to set, then attempt to unscrew the nut from the moderator leaving it attached to the barrel-- where I can later use a torch to remove the lock-tight.-- I can indeed thread the baffle back onto the barrel system but not at a significant amount that ensures the gap in the transfer port is minimal.

Anyone else had this issue?

Any other ideas?

Hopefully the experts (you) can save me some headache

Hi kcchayes, 

We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your Impact M3, please feel free to give our customer service and/or technician department a phone call or e-mail so we can help resolve this issue for you or have you send your gun in for repairs. 

Regards,

FX Airguns USA

Contact

Monday – Thursday 9 AM – 4 PM EST
Fridays 9 AM – 3 PM EST
Phone: +1 866 639 0772
[email protected]

You should be able to disassemble the shroud based on this parts diagram 

https://fxairguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Exploded-drawing-Barrel-kit-Impact.pdf

in going with your idea, id instead go to my local Ace hardware and pick up a 1/2-20 threaded coupling and locktite that. Use a 3/8” extension and ratchet to install, then also to remove once locktite has cured.

hopefully before this all happened and when you threads on the shroud you stopped threading when the shroud came to a stop and didn’t aggressively over tighten the shroud onto the liner lock 

Thank you @R0B,

The housing unscrews freely but leaves the double threaded nut in the shroud.... Fun stuff.

Thank you @Bigragu
Interestingly enough, my shroud looks a little different than those in the diagram- Mine is tapered on one end while flat on the exit. It could still prove to disassemble but I haven't had luck trying to unscrew either end...Maybe it has lock tight on it and thus the added effort needed (per @Airgunman) I love the "told ya so" without the actual "told ya so"-- Before this all happened I had removed my liner for cleaning and actually made it a point not to over-tighten the double threaded nut onto the barrel housing..... It is VERY likely that I tightened the shroud tighter than I should have leaving it in its current condition.

TO ALL WHO VENTURE IN THIS THREAD-- DON"T OVER TIGHTEN ANY ASPECT OF YOUR RIFLE!! - You'll regret it

I'll take a trip to the hardware store today (if I can't get the shroud apart) and let you know how it turns out.

Stay AWESOME!!

Hey Everyone,

The end of the shroud is indeed held with lock tight and I was able to disassemble it to remove the double threaded nut. -- THANK YOU!!!

endcap.1642100058.png

One more thing @FX-USA

I am humbled that you took the time to look at this thread and respond. I take great pride in knowing that your team stands behind its products. Thank you for taking the time to chime in here. I think pretty highly of you and will continue to do so-- even if it was my actions and not that of the product that led me down this path. Give everyone on your team a high-five and thanks. Next time you're in GA I'll buy the first round!

Stay AWESOME!

Right on it all came out in your favor. The comment about me saying hopefully the shroud wasn’t threaded on exceedingly tight prior to the dilemma was me looking ahead with the locktite onto the 1/2-20 threaded coupling suggestion, so when the thread locker hardened and you took your ratchet and extension to the liner lock it would easily break loose from the shroud. 

that’s all. It wasn’t meant as an “I told you so”

Wow, I guess that I lucked out. That very thing happened to me, the barrel keeper was left behind in the muzzle end of the shroud. I also could not get it out and have not had any luck with using a hair dryer to melt the Loctite holding the end cap on. So, I got a small portion of an aluminum cleaning rod (about 6") and tapped the end of the barrel keeper from the muzzle end through the .5" threaded adapter that was Loctited on. I didn't force anything, just basically 'rattled' it a little. It's a .22 caliber, so I then used a .25 mop to push down inside the barrel keeper, again through the muzzle and .5" threaded adapter, and proceeded to 'unthread' the barrel keeper by moving it clockwise and into the shroud. It fell through the shroud and stopped at the conical end at which point was easy to extract using tweezers. Really pretty easy overall without removing any parts or unlocking Loctite! 

mike

Reactions: Pazman2000
@Bigragu I appreciate the candid response - I do. The "I told you so" was only a bad attempt at humor... I can't list all the bolts/ screws that I've over-tightened just to need a screw extractor to get them out and have to order a replacement part from the manufacturer. I've told myself so many times not to over-do-it but yet I still find myself learning some things the hard way. If anything the "I told you so" was an attempt to remind myself not to over-do-it. Kind of like that little angel that sits on one shoulder and the devilish one on the other-- sometimes I listen and other times I don't. Your response reminded me of that little guy on the shoulder saying "don't do it"--- and you guessed it-- I did it anyway-- to my own demise. All that to say thanks man! It's my own internal swift kick in the tail -- and I needed it. Nothing against you I promise and your comment was well received!

@everyone else

Sometimes the professionals are those you see in the mirror and the advice you give is sometimes better than gold.Thank you all again and cheers!