FX Impact - Trigger adjustment for second stage break

I have gone thru all of the FX Impact trigger adjustment videos and instructions, including all of Ernest Rowe's series.

It seems like there is no way to lighten the Impact trigger's second stage break weight? Ernest mentioned something about cutting the spring length in half, but of course that voids the warranty. But is there a way to reduce the second stage break weight?

I have adjusted everything else on the trigger to my liking - first stage pull weight and length, crispiness of the second stage break, etc... But can't seem to find a way to reduce the second stage break weight, which is a tad heavy for me.

Thoughts anyone?

I recently bought an FX Crown, and my perception of the trigger is about as you describe with the Impact. Mine is very crisp, just heavier than my other rifles. After spending quite a bit of time on it, I have concluded that it is an excellent 14 ounce trigger, but, the design does not allow for getting it much lighter. I got it down a little lighter, but it became sticky and unreliable. My other rifles are more match oriented, and I have them set for a release weight around 6 ounces, and can go lower. In all fairness, the Crown trigger is very good, and probably as light as it needs to be for general field and casual target use. In fact, I need practice with lighter rifles and heavier triggers anyway, so I am looking at this as presenting that opportunity. I took the Crown out today and shot a couple of half inch, 50 yard groups, so the rifle is more than adequately accurate. I just need to learn to shoot it. Should be a great squirrel rifle. 

elh,

Thanks for response. I figured as much, but thought I would post on forum in case someone knew of a way to lighten the second stage weight without violating warranty. I have been spoiled by my W.A.R Flex's Timney trigger - completely adjustable, from first stage pull weight, to second stage pull weight to break weight, etc.... smooth as butter, consistent as gravity and breaks like crisp glass.

The FX Impact is a great rifle to shoot, accurate and consistent and everything as per advertised. Just wish the second stage break weight could be lighter...

There is a way as you noted, just not a way you wanted to do. How about removing and keeping the stock spring and finding a replacement to use that is lighter and/or shorter. Then you could replace the stock spring if you needed warranty work but try a lighter spring for lighter pull weight.

I'm not sure of this, but from what I see, I believe that spring also resets the trigger and sear. If that is the case, and if you go much lower than the original setup, you may run into function issues. 

Ernest mentions something similar in one of his videos, but he also mentions a caveat - if you use a lighter spring or cut the spring in half as he did, the first stage does not return if you pull to second stage wall before it breaks and decide to disengage. I don't like that the first stage does not "spring" back. On my W.A.R Flex 357 's Timney trigger, i can always pull to just before the trigger break point, release and have the trigger "spring" back to first stage by itself, perfectly smooth and repeatable. I really like that. The Timney trigger on the W.A.R rifles are worth every penny.

Well, I have been spoiled by W.A.R's Timney trigger I guess... Don't misunderstand, the FX Impact X 700m .25 cal I have is a shooter, i just like the second stage break weight to be more adjustable and lighter for my preference.

You've run into the drawbacks of the trigger design. During both the first and second stage the sear moves over the trigger roll. This means that the weight of the first stage depends on the hammer spring tension (pushing the sear up to the trigger roll) and the main trigger spring. The seconds stage weight depends on the first stage weight combined with the force required for the ball detent screw.

If you want to lighten the second stage break the best way is to replace the ball detent screw with a lighter one. Cutting down the main trigger spring is also possible but in my opinion it still should be strong enough to reset the trigger so that it's not on edge and can't be shot accidentally. If you open up a spring activated ball pen and take the spring out you'll have a huge supply of possible main trigger springs ;)

Broekzwans,

I think you hit the nail on the head. The trigger design on the FX crown/impact has a dependency on spring tension and sear pressure. I also noticed that the trigger break weight is also dependent on the power settings on the impact, with the heaviest break weight when the power wheel is set on Max setting.

I did manage to reduce the second stage break weight down by unscrewing screw A, the second 2mm screw behind the trigger blade. It works for now, any more adjustment and it breaks without second stage wall and unpredictably - yikes. I took it to the limit and then turned it back in clockwise 1/8 for good safety measure. 

One thing they don't tell you, but i think they should state clearly in the manual - If you do adjust the FX Crown/Impact trigger, make sure it holds for ALL power wheel settings, especially the SAFE settings.

In the trigger respect, the W.A.R's Timney trigger is far superior.