FX Impact tensioned barrel question............/

The way I see the set up, it is tensioning the barrel housing and not the actual barrel liner. To truly be a tensioned barrel, the liner would have to be threaded/captured on both ends.
I see it as the tighter you turn the muzzle cap, the more the barrel housing is tensioned/stretched, relieving the pressure on the actual liner inside the housing, somewhat making the barrel liner free floating inside the barrel housing.
Am I wrong on my thinking?

Rather than all the after-market mods, why doesn't FX tension the barrel, the liner or whatever, in the manufacture of these $2K+ air rifles?

Frankly, I've about had it with barrel tuners, carbon fiber sleeves, superior liners, superior heavy liners , pin probes, power blocks, power kits etc., etc., etc...

I've been a loyal FX customer and defender (on this forum), but enough is enough!

Daystate makes a perfectly fine tactical-style bullpup that does not require all the after-market do-dads to make it shoot accurately, like it should right out of the box.

Al

Frankly, I've about had it with barrel tuners, carbon fiber sleeves, superior liners, superior heavy liners , pin probes, power blocks, power kits etc., etc., etc...

Me too... love the fx rifles...cant stand the soda straw flimsy barrels.. it's never a grab and go....its a sit down check zero and then go. At present the only FC I have is my dreamline compact ..the rest are gone..went with RTI and daystate..

If you're referring to the Delta Wolf, mine sure did not.

Did you put a carbon fiber sleeve on it?

No I never got that far. It would not even function, so need for a carbon fiber sleeve. I thought you were done with carbon fiber sleeves. Why would a $3,300 gun need a carbon fiber sleeve? For that price shouldn't they have done that?

Reactions: arrietamauricio
If you're referring to the Delta Wolf, mine sure did not.

Did you put a carbon fiber sleeve on it?

No I never got that far. It would not even function, so need for a carbon fiber sleeve. I thought you were done with carbon fiber sleeves. Why would a $3,300 gun need a carbon fiber sleeve? For that price shouldn't they have done that?

I'm sorry to hear that. My DW is capable of sub moa at 100 yards in both .22 cal and .25 cal platform. No need for after-market add-ons. It loves NSA and Zan slugs.

There are no carbon fiber sleeves for this gun's barrel, which is precisely my point.😂

I hope we haven't derailed the OP's thread.

I did. Did not care for the fiddly mag loading and it was pretty much a bench only gun (long & heavy). My stock M3 Impact is close enough in a much more compact and lightweight format. The mods you are reading about in this thread, are in fact shooters who are trying to push the limits of shooting heavy slugs well beyond 100 yards, more like 150-200 yards. They are not generally required to shoot well at 100 yards. A CF tube is like $30 like 1% the cost of a DW. Even a liner is only like $110 or so. Glad your DW's are working well for you though. I'm glad Daystate put the beta testing I did for them to good use.

I did. Did not care for the fiddly mag loading and it was pretty much a bench only gun (long & heavy). My stock M3 Impact is close enough in a much more compact and lightweight format. The mods you are reading about in this thread, are in fact shooters who are trying to push the limits of shooting heavy slugs well beyond 100 yards, more like 150-200 yards. They are not generally required to shoot well at 100 yards. A CF tube is like $30 like 1% the cost of a DW. Even a liner is only like $110 or so. Glad your DW's are working well for you though. I'm glad Daystate put the beta testing I did for them to good use.

Do be fair, FX does it’s share of user beta testing. Remember when the impact first came out? I think a lot of this is growing pains for a new platform more than anything else. Being an early adopter can be fun or painful.

Reactions: Centercut
True on both counts. I got my DW in 01/21 IIRC. Returned it for credit only (dealer was great) after 2 previous trips for attempted repair in 03/21. Seems like others have had much better luck since, but there are some inherent negatives (even if functioning perfectly) that I was able to experience, that would make me not want another one now, and I certainly would not jump for joy at a 3-4 thousand dollar gun (after a few PRS accessories, that is MOA at 100 yards.

@far_shot from my understanding it's not tensioning rather compressing the CF liner. Not something I would think is the best but sure is better than what they have now. But what a normally tensioned barrel is, it's not.

Matt Dubber was saying that if you tighten it too much when the set screws aren't tight, you'd push the barrel back into the breech. Tensioning the barrel you'd be pulling the barrel out of the breech.

M0ist0ne;

Me too as pulling on the barrel housing can in theory actually loosen the liner inside.

Yeah, specially with temp changes. I don't crank my liner nut down either, just a little bit past hand tight. I could see this being the bigger issue.

I watched the install video and if I'm honest, was a little disappointed as there's nothing really "new". The front barrel support--but that's already been out in an original form from the barrelholder.com guys. All the cap at the end is doing is replacing the moderator endcap or small nut to supply compression against the CF tube at the sacrifice of pulling on the liner nut. No large Bellevilles or anything to absorb any slight changes and keep the tension. I'll end up buying a kit, but I only want the faster twist liner... 😂

Just posted this to my thread as well. Here is how I addressed the situation. Again steel is the not the best option but I feel a similar result could be had from aluminum or CF. Delrin Slip fits over the barrel and centers the shroud very tight fit with 3 orings. The end is reduced to just let the bellville washers slip fit over that. The seat shown in the thick walled shroud captures the first washer and compresses them squarely against the breech. You can torq it down just shy of the shroud touching and let the washers absorb fluctuations of temp change. There will be 3 more 2" spacers that slip fit like the one holding the washers spaced evenly down the barrel to absorb vibration down the length of the barrel inside the shroud almost completely deadening it.

20220502_152839.1651520321.jpg
20220502_152751.1651520321.jpg
20220502_152724.1651520322.jpg
20220502_152658.1651520322.jpg