FX Impact tensioned barrel question............/

I did. Did not care for the fiddly mag loading and it was pretty much a bench only gun (long & heavy). My stock M3 Impact is close enough in a much more compact and lightweight format. The mods you are reading about in this thread, are in fact shooters who are trying to push the limits of shooting heavy slugs well beyond 100 yards, more like 150-200 yards. They are not generally required to shoot well at 100 yards. A CF tube is like $30 like 1% the cost of a DW. Even a liner is only like $110 or so.  Glad your DW's are working well for you though.  I'm glad Daystate put the beta testing I did for them to good use.

I suppose I should familiarize myself with the FX Impact, eh?

Als addiiction.1651580485.JPG

A1 Fan Boi.1651581534.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Centercut
Had these bushings made up awhile back for the purpose of barrel tensioning the 700mm and 600mm impacts. I wanted to see how these would do in addition to the bottle to shroud clamps I use along with the epoxied liner sleeve.
With the complaints of the valve knob front end running into the rear of the shroud long before it ran out of forward adjustment, I addressed that problem with the design. Currently going thru testing right now, and the little bit I’ve shot with it on I see promise. 

the one thing about using this design of tensioning, is the tightness of the shroud to compress this bushing against the trigger block must be repeatable and exactly the same every time. I’ve had to place concealed index marks on the barrel shrouds so I can tighten up to the same torque each and every time.

here is the one for the 700mm barrel installed, hidden by the impacts scope rail-

1A8C817D-741B-4538-9D98-7768912FE828.1651595367.jpeg

and by the way- this is not my own idea I dreamt up. I owe all to BIOHAZARD MAN as he posted his own design using a length of carbon fiber behind his barrel shroud, compressed between the shroud and trigger block. All I did was come up with my own version.

"I've been a loyal FX customer and defender (on this forum), but enough is enough!"

It sure is!

What? No FX Impact m3 + Power Block for me?
1f602.svg

My Impact M3.25 has no Power Block, and I have no intention of changing it. I simply do not need or want that much power. In it, I am only shooting the 33.95 gr JSB pellets, so I doubt I would need or want the tensioned barrel. I don't even have the carbon fiber tube over the liner, or the Superior Heavy liner. but they're cheap enough to add if I ever want to. In the MKII's I've owned, the standard liner shot the lighter slugs good enough for me, or there is always the Hybrids that should work well also.

I do find a lot of the new accuracy and power mods interesting to read about though I may not adopt all of them.

Hi

I think that all the M3 have the same block that is different from the MKII because by increasing the power plenum 720cc they have had to modify the block to be able to give performance to the new plenum, the power block is just an advertising claim. These are my thoughts

Regards

Enkey

Quite plausible theory.

Thanks.

Well, that may be possible, but I’m gonna go with what FX said, which is that they started putting the new block on guns manufactured in January 2022. My gun (M3) dates all the way back to May/June 2021so I expect that I have the “old” M3 block. I assume that is different from my MK II block, but maybe those are the same and only the Power Plenum is different on the M3. 

My opinion only as I don’t have the new block on hand-

1. The rear blocks on the M3 and MK2 have to be the same, and I’m highly assuming that because M3 power plenums can be purchased in kit form and everything in that kit minus the pp body is exactly the same part as on the MK2.

2. The new block has a larger air passageway between the valve and the barrels transfer port. Others in the past have done this mod by drilling thru the valve body grub screw port, that locks the valve in place, to enlarge that passageway and had to re tap the grub screw hole for new, larger diameter metric threads to accept a new larger grub screw with this mod.

sometime in the last year, Ernest posted a video of him enlarging that passageway with a special two part drill bit so the grub screw chase would remain intact at 6mm. 

it would make sense now that with the larger opening a different valve would be used, as shown on utah Airguns parts catalog for FX

Reactions: mubhaur
My opinion only as I don’t have the new block on hand-

1. The rear blocks on the M3 and MK2 have to be the same, and I’m highly assuming that because M3 power plenums can be purchased in kit form and everything in that kit minus the pp body is exactly the same part as on the MK2.

2. The new block has a larger air passageway between the valve and the barrels transfer port. Others in the past have done this mod by drilling thru the valve body grub screw port, that locks the valve in place, to enlarge that passageway and had to re tap the grub screw hole for new, larger diameter metric threads to accept a new larger grub screw with this mod.

sometime in the last year, Ernest posted a video of him enlarging that passageway with a special two part drill bit so the grub screw chase would remain intact at 6mm. 

it would make sense now that with the larger opening a different valve would be used, as shown on utah Airguns parts catalog for FX

Hi

The power block differs because the hole is larger than 9mm and the orings go into the power block not into the valvehouse B30. But what makes the difference in the power block is the valvehose B30 which is a completely different design.

Regards 

Enkey 

As a FX fanboy the tensioned barrel is just a bandaid for a weak barrel interface. With power reaching 22LR range the barrel interface should be completely redesigned. I’ve tried tensioned barrel on my FX and it’s only helps the POI shift when bumped due to weak barrel attachment/interface. Fortunately the carbon tube is cheap and does work well enough but I have not tried it in wide temp changing conditions. I’m waiting for a much better interface design. 

Maybe a better thing to do with those who are really pushing the limits of their impact is to just rebarrel with a LW or whatever they chose, choked (or not?) Sounds like this option in the end maybe the better solution. No barrel whip, solid old school barrel. That is if there is a known Barrel that shoots slugs great or whatever your fancy. Then again it could be a total gamble and you just wasted even more money trying to make something do what it was not originally designed to do.

Allen

Last edited:
Reactions: mubhaur
The way I see the set up, it is tensioning the barrel housing and not the actual barrel liner. To truly be a tensioned barrel, the liner would have to be threaded/captured on both ends.
I see it as the tighter you turn the muzzle cap, the more the barrel housing is tensioned/stretched, relieving the pressure on the actual liner inside the housing, somewhat making the barrel liner free floating inside the barrel housing.
Am I wrong on my thinking?
Hi,
I didn't think I would write about what I did, I'm not a person who writes much or everything about tuning but:
I did what you mean without knowing this topic here on this forum. I got this link from a friend ( he shoots too fx impact), so I logged into this forum and I have some answers:

Yes, I made tensioning system only for the liner not the housing
Yes, the results are excellent for me, and I will not change back to oryginal (FX)
Yes, shooting accuracy is much better than what I had
Yes, the shot groups at 50,75 and 100m are pretty much the same (almost every group is about 2cm) - it doesn't matter how many shots
I would not like to inform you about the solution how it is done (in details) but here some pictures

liner threeds for tennsion
1.jpg

how looks after tennsioning & everything was put together
2.jpg

The tension of the liner is about 0.5mm....
I had to use o-rings inside housing because it sounded like a guitar

Reactions: mubhaur and tibor
Hi,
I didn't think I would write about what I did, I'm not a person who writes much or everything about tuning but:
I did what you mean without knowing this topic here on this forum. I got this link from a friend ( he shoots too fx impact), so I logged into this forum and I have some answers:

Yes, I made tensioning system only for the liner not the housing
Yes, the results are excellent for me, and I will not change back to oryginal (FX)
Yes, shooting accuracy is much better than what I had
Yes, the shot groups at 50,75 and 100m are pretty much the same (almost every group is about 2cm) - it doesn't matter how many shots
I would not like to inform you about the solution how it is done (in details) but here some pictures

liner threeds for tennsion
View attachment 332500

how looks after tennsioning & everything was put together
View attachment 332501
The tension of the liner is about 0.5mm....
I had to use o-rings inside housing because it sounded like a guitar
How is the liner tensioned on the breech end?

Reactions: 2L8