FX FX Impact Slug Alterations

Complete newbie here. Just found this forum and don't own my own PCP yet. I'm thinking either a used M2 or new M3.

I'd like to shoot slugs, but I'm a little confused. Are there any slugs I can shoot through a stock from the factory new M3, or do I have to make alterations (beyond tuning) in order to shoot slugs? If so, what alterations would I have to make? I'm not looking for super heavy slugs...just something I can stretch out to maybe 100 yards and kill small game/varmints. Is there a particular slug weight at which one must start making alterations?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Last edited:
You can definitely shoot light to medium weight slugs from a stock M3 in all calibers. With power plenum, heavier hammer plus springs and slug transfer ports you can shoot the heavier slugs. The stock M3's have lots of power right out of the box.
Thanks for your reply. So what weights are considered light to medium slugs?

Just a few really quick words of wisdom. Since this is your first pcp I would recommend that you play with pellets for a while and get a good feel for your new rifle before playing with slugs. Now slugs are great but can be a little frustrating. Start with some JSB pellets and I just about guarantee that you will be in love with your new toy.
Kenny

Just a few really quick words of wisdom. Since this is your first pcp I would recommend that you play with pellets for a while and get a good feel for your new rifle before playing with slugs. Now slugs are great but can be a little frustrating. Start with some JSB pellets and I just about guarantee that you will be in love with your new toy.
Kenny
Thanks for the advice. Why can slugs be a little frustrating? Just tricky to dial in?

Kenny
"Now slugs are great but can be a little frustrating. " <------ TODAYS UNDERSTATEMENT

• Haha
Reactions: starlingassn
Thanks for the advice. Why can slugs be a little frustrating? Just tricky to dial in?
If you are lucky and get the perfect combination of liner/barrel, reg pressures, hammer settings, the right slug, it can be extremely frustrating to get them to work well. Pellets seal in the bore, the air pressure expands the skirt to help seal, Slugs don't do that so you lose pressure/air. Personally, I've given up, if I do revisit it it will be with a gun dedicated to slugs.

Reactions: olsenjb
If you are lucky and get the perfect combination of liner/barrel, reg pressures, hammer settings, the right slug, it can be extremely frustrating to get them to work well. Pellets seal in the bore, the air pressure expands the skirt to help seal, Slugs don't do that so you lose pressure/air. Personally, I've given up, if I do revisit it it will be with a gun dedicated to slugs.
Roger that...thanks for the advice.

Complete newbie here. Just found this forum and don't own my own PCP yet. I'm thinking either a used MK2 or new MK3.

I'd like to shoot slugs, but I'm a little confused. Are there any slugs I can shoot through a stock from the factory new MK3, or do I have to make alterations (beyond tuning) in order to shoot slugs? If so, what alterations would I have to make? I'm not looking for super heavy slugs...just something I can stretch out to maybe 100 yards and kill small game/varmints. Is there a particular slug weight at which one must start making alterations?

Thanks for helping a newbie.
I own four MKII's. I don't shoot pellet at all. I've never had a problem getting slugs to work on the Impacts. It does take a little time and a little understanding on how the gun works, but you should be able to accomplish what you are seeking with a stock MKII or MKIII. The only time you need to modify the gun is if you want to go really fast or really slug-heavy. The Standard Superior liner that the gun comes with from the factory should work just fine. You don't need the "slug" liner unless you get the .35 Cal. What size of critters are you looking to shoot? Also, you asked earlier what is considered light and medium slugs: I shoot 24.8 gr in 22 cal, 33 gr. in 25 cal, 44.5 gr in .30 cal, and 68 gr. in .35 Cal. I consider all these medium weight slugs.

Last edited:
I own four MKII's. I don't shoot pellet at all. I've never had a problem getting slugs to work on the Impacts. It does take a little time and a little understanding on how the gun works, but you should be able to accomplish what you are seeking with a stock MKII or MKIII. The only time you need to modify the gun is if you want to go really fast or really slug-heavy. The Standard Superior liner that the gun comes with from the factory should work just fine. You don't need the "slug" liner unless you get the .35 Cal. What size of critters are you looking to shoot?
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Would mainly be squirrels, pot guts, rock chucks, birds, and maybe an occasional trash panda. 👍

I own four MKII's. I don't shoot pellet at all. I've never had a problem getting slugs to work on the Impacts. It does take a little time and a little understanding on how the gun works, but you should be able to accomplish what you are seeking with a stock MKII or MKIII. The only time you need to modify the gun is if you want to go really fast or really slug-heavy. The Standard Superior liner that the gun comes with from the factory should work just fine. You don't need the "slug" liner unless you get the .35 Cal. What size of critters are you looking to shoot? Also, you asked earlier what is considered light and medium slugs: I shoot 24.8 gr in 22 cal, 33 gr. in 25 cal, 44.5 gr in .30 cal, and 68 gr. in .35 Cal. I consider all these medium weight slugs.

My .22 caliber M3 is stock as far as power upgrades, no power block, and 1:24 TR pellet liner. I’ve done well shooting NSA 24.8 & 27.5 grain slugs. Zan 25.5 gr. too.

Reactions: rappert