• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact regulator whacky behavior

Between Christmas obligations and COVID cancellations I had a little time to do some shooting/tuning. First issue. For the second time, my reg set point pressure has dropped. The first time I thought ok, just settling in. Then it did it again so I reset it and the tune was back to where it was. I didn’t experience this with the AMP reg in my Dreamline. Second issue. While shooting over the chronograph I saw my velocity steadily dropping and thought wow, I’m off the reg already. But I wasn’t. Bottle pressure was just under 150b and my reg that had been previously just reset to 115b was only reading 100b. Before reaching for tools, I grabbed my tank and refilled to 225b. The reg jumped back up and the velocity was back to normal. I think I’m over 300 shots with the gun but not too much more. Getting tired of wasting slugs when she goes off her tune. A gun acting whacky with pellets is a lot cheaper than one doing it with slugs. Any suggestions besides send it back. Maybe a little more break in time and $40 more in slugs? I’m seeing promising results when it’s acting normal.

Why do you think Earnest Rowe fills his own personal Impact to a maximum of 2700-2800psi?

I personally never fill any gun past 3000psi since I witnessed crazy stupid regulator behavior past 3000psi not only with FX regulators.

You could request FiX to send you a new regulator and just send yours back after that if they will allow you to do it yourself without voiding your 3 year warranty. Otherwise I would request a pickup shippers label so it's no additional money coming outa your pocket.

You probably won't get compensated for your wasted $$$ on slugs and time.

Between Christmas obligations and COVID cancellations I had a little time to do some shooting/tuning. First issue. For the second time, my reg set point pressure has dropped. The first time I thought ok, just settling in. Then it did it again so I reset it and the tune was back to where it was. I didn’t experience this with the AMP reg in my Dreamline. Second issue. While shooting over the chronograph I saw my velocity steadily dropping and thought wow, I’m off the reg already. But I wasn’t. Bottle pressure was just under 150b and my reg that had been previously just reset to 115b was only reading 100b. Before reaching for tools, I grabbed my tank and refilled to 225b. The reg jumped back up and the velocity was back to normal. I think I’m over 300 shots with the gun but not too much more. Getting tired of wasting slugs when she goes off her tune. A gun acting whacky with pellets is a lot cheaper than one doing it with slugs. Any suggestions besides send it back. Maybe a little more break in time and $40 more in slugs? I’m seeing promising results when it’s acting normal.

Welcome back to that relationship you walked away from years ago eh?

I can and will assure you that if you get a good working FX it is very hard to beat.

Unless you’re tethering from a bench, only filling to 190 bar as suggested above is a kinda pointless when shooting high powered .25 and .30 air rifles.

I’d be willing to bet Ernest fills that .30 he’s shooting heavy slugs in to 250 bar or higher. If I only filled my .25 Impact Slugger to 190 bar I’d be lucky to get 10 or 12 shots before a fill. That philosophy may be OK for .177 or low powered .22 but higher powered guns it’s no bueno. 
And if you’re shouting a high powered Red Wolf you need to fill to 250 since you only shoot down to 190 bar before a refill. I had an unregulated .25 Royale that shot from 240 to 170 bar 50 shots with an ES of 20 FPS...

Reactions: Jacobpc
I want to take it apart and clean it because even though the gun is not even a month old and under warranty, boxing it up and shipping it to FX to service the reg is almost embarrassing. The one thing that worries me is I dropped an extra $50 for a slug tune. Don’t ask me why. Maybe it was just curiosity on how a popular dealer would tune it. When I got the gun, the tune was laughable. I’m worried that if the tune was that bad, did they also do something dumb like turn the reg down under pressure. I don’t want to be on the hook for something I didn’t do. It doesn’t creep up. Been sitting for 24hrs and still dead on 115b. Decisions decisions.

Unless you’re tethering from a bench, only filling to 190 bar as suggested above is a kinda pointless when shooting high powered .25 and .30 air rifles.

I’d be willing to bet Ernest fills that .30 he’s shooting heavy slugs in to 250 bar or higher. If I only filled my .25 Impact Slugger to 190 bar I’d be lucky to get 10 or 12 shots before a fill. That philosophy may be OK for .177 or low powered .22 but higher powered guns it’s no bueno. 
And if you’re shouting a high powered Red Wolf you need to fill to 250 since you only shoot down to 190 bar before a refill. I had an unregulated .25 Royale that shot from 240 to 170 bar 50 shots with an ES of 20 FPS...

I still have my 25 Royale 500 (Shoots way way way better after the reg was yanked to shot unregulated) just like the one you describe. It enabled super long (300+ yards) distance shooting after the reg was yanked for some mysterious reason.

I want to take it apart and clean it because even though the gun is not even a month old and under warranty, boxing it up and shipping it to FX to service the reg is almost embarrassing. The one thing that worries me is I dropped an extra $50 for a slug tune. Don’t ask me why. Maybe it was just curiosity on how a popular dealer would tune it. When I got the gun, the tune was laughable. I’m worried that if the tune was that bad, did they also do something dumb like turn the reg down under pressure. I don’t want to be on the hook for something I didn’t do. It doesn’t creep up. Been sitting for 24hrs and still dead on 115b. Decisions decisions.

If you got it from Ken over at SPAW there's no way he could have screwed up a tune IMHO.

You may opt to try to shoot it more with hopes by breaking things in would help settle things a bit.

The one thing that worries me is I dropped an extra $50 for a slug tune. Don’t ask me why. Maybe it was just curiosity on how a popular dealer would tune it. When I got the gun, the tune was laughable.

That is funny. Slug tune. LOL. $50 for what, take slack out of hammer adjust and increase reg pressure a tad? Easiest $50 that dude ever made... I wonder who it was? 

I still have my 25 Royale 500 (Shoots way way way better after the reg was yanked to shot unregulated) just like the one you describe. It enabled super long (300+ yards) distance shooting after the reg was yanked for some mysterious reason.

The 500 I had originally was unregulated but I had a FX regulator installed by AOA. I later swapped that regulator for a Huma for an increased plenum space. AOA had to drill that vent hole to let the regulators breath. Was curious if yours had that hole and if it did how did you plug it when you pulled the regulator. 

Jking

The one thing that worries me is I dropped an extra $50 for a slug tune. Don’t ask me why. Maybe it was just curiosity on how a popular dealer would tune it. When I got the gun, the tune was laughable.

That is funny. Slug tune. LOL. $50 for what, take slack out of hammer adjust and increase reg pressure a tad? Easiest $50 that dude ever made... I wonder who it was?

The reason I won’t drop names is because they could have set the reg to 110b, adjusted the HS and valve for a nice 920fps starting point. Then the whacky reg fell back to 80b while the gun was in transit. Thus giving me the out of the box weird slow slug tune. When I turned the reg up to 110b, their settings were almost spot on. Don’t want to point fingers if it’s my guns fault.

The 500 I had originally was unregulated but I had a FX regulator installed by AOA. I later swapped that regulator for a Huma for an increased plenum space. AOA had to drill that vent hole to let the regulators breath. Was curious if yours had that hole and if it did how did you plug it when you pulled the regulator. 

Jking

AZ plugged it and stated it was shooting 100x more accurate (figuratively speaking but more likely literally) at longer distance without any regulator and suggested leave it unregulated for extreme long distance shooting. I specifically wanted a long distance shooter.

There' know reason you can't call FX USA and ask them if you could clean and polish the regulator with out voiding the warranty, After all, they have a Master Class to clean and maintain the regulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOlG19kTf6Y

They weren’t there today. I called. I will call Monday. Hopefully keep my hands off it until then.

Vetmx,

I have the same issue with my FX Impact mk2 bought 6 months ago in Greece. I fill the gun to maximum 230 bar and the reg is set to 135 bar. When the bottle pressure reaches 150 bar the reg pressure begins gradually to lower almost shot after shot. Surprisingly velocity decreases only a bit until the pressure gauge shows 100 bar. Then it starts dropping as when off reg. I replaced the crap pressure gauges FX puts on a 2000 euro gun as the reg gauge showed 25 bar lower but the problem is still there. Any thoughts on what is going wrong? 

Just about every regulator I’ve used has a proportionality to it when it comes to fill pressures. This is the exact reason FX went to the double regulators in their Maverick . Regulators operate by spring tension , just like your car/truck . You wouldn’t expect the ride to be the same in you vehicle if you had it loaded to the hilt in comparison to being in it by yourself. The same applies to your regulator . I have found that using a 100 bar window between filling keeps the regulator working optimally . I see this topic come up often enough between just about every forum I visit , nobody seems to be buying into my conspiracy theory. 

Just about every regulator I’ve used has a proportionality to it when it comes to fill pressures. This is the exact reason FX went to the double regulators in their Maverick . Regulators operate by spring tension , just like your car/truck . You wouldn’t expect the ride to be the same in you vehicle if you had it loaded to the hilt in comparison to being in it by yourself. The same applies to your regulator . I have found that using a 100 bar window between filling keeps the regulator working optimally . I see this topic come up often enough between just about every forum I visit , nobody seems to be buying into my conspiracy theory.

Ok I'll buy the 'window' theory.

If that’s the case, it will be in the classifieds. Or it will be wearing another reg, possibly 2. Ironically, last night I did some testing and filled the gun every time it hit 150b. Being cautious while still moving forward until I talk to FX. Three or four years ago when I had my first Impact, I had zero patience for a $2k gun that I spent more time working on than shooting. I also didn’t have the information that’s out there now because the gun was so new. I refuse to believe that all the guys that are having great success with this gun are refilling at 150b. If they are, shame on them for keeping that kind of information close to their chests. I can see a reg starting to act funny when you start getting close to the set point. The Altaros on a Kral I built did it for a while but seems fine now. But this isn’t a broad spectrum reg. It’s a 250b reg. It doesn’t have to handle a 300b fill then still be able to function at 110b. Thanks for all the responses. It will get figured out.