• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact Regulator Adjuster Screw AT

Here's a picture of the anti-tamper that's used on a sub 12 fpe regulator adjuster screw so what do you think it is and is it just a case of drilling it out to enable regulator adjustment?

1552118083_13958203345c837143da3a50.67697520_Reg Anti-Tamper.jpg
1552118096_3960192665c83715054cb78.04664948_Reg AT.jpg

Looks like all they did was fill the hex head with something to prevent a wrench from turning it. Seems reasonable that it could be removed with a little effort. By removing the whole regulator assembly, you might be able to remove the inner screw. If you can't get the filler removed well enough for a wrench to seat, you could score the top, basically creating a slot for a common screwdriver.

I see you are from Wales, so please, make sure it's legal to do so. It was sold as a 12 fpe gun, so not on anyone's FAC. Make sure you follow proper registration processes.

My bet is that it's a different regulator specifically for the low power market, just looking at it, the regulator setting is completely different from a FAC gun. The inner screw is about even with the housing on an FAC gun. If the adjuster was screwed in that far, the regulator would probably leak because one of the two O-rings would be outside the housing. 

I'm wondering if the real solution is to replace the regulator all together. Only $40 US from FX USA, I suspect it's under £40 or £50 from a UK supplier. That leaves the 12 fpe regulator intact in case you want to go back to 12 fpe.

Looks like all they did was fill the hex head with something to prevent a wrench from turning it. Seems reasonable that it could be removed with a little effort. By removing the whole regulator assembly, you might be able to remove the inner screw. If you can't get the filler removed well enough for a wrench to seat, you could score the top, basically creating a slot for a common screwdriver.

I agree about taking the whole reg out before attempting to remove what ever that stuff is filling the adjustment screw...wounder if you could just buy a huma reg?

I see you are from Wales, so please, make sure it's legal to do so. It was sold as a 12 fpe gun, so not on anyone's FAC. Make sure you follow proper registration processes.

My bet is that it's a different regulator specifically for the low power market, just looking at it, the regulator setting is completely different from a FAC gun. The inner screw is about even with the housing on an FAC gun. If the adjuster was screwed in that far, the regulator would probably leak because one of the two O-rings would be outside the housing. 

I'm wondering if the real solution is to replace the regulator all together. Only $40 US from FX USA, I suspect it's under £40 or £50 from a UK supplier. That leaves the 12 fpe regulator intact in case you want to go back to 12 fpe.

Yep, Im Welsh but it's not about increasing the power over 12 fpe, it's so I can fine tune it to get the best consistency and single figure fps spread. I'm also having to fit an adjustable valve as it's fitted with a fixed one.

Not sure what regs fitted as it a late 1844** serial number so it could be the newer AMP.

Looks like they just fill the hex screw with hot glue lol. But anyway, if you wanted a non 12ft lb gun, why didn't just buy the non 12ft lb gun. Unless you are in Europe and it's the law. Then trying to bypass the reg to get more power without the proper legal papers, you are breaking the law. It's like me making a firearm silencer in the US without the proper paperwork. It's very illegal and heavy fine if get caught.

Looks like they just fill the hex screw with hot glue lol. But anyway, if you wanted a non 12ft lb gun, why didn't just buy the non 12ft lb gun. Unless you are in Europe and it's the law. Then trying to bypass the reg to get more power without the proper legal papers, you are breaking the law. It's like me making a firearm silencer in the US without the proper paperwork. It's very illegal and heavy fine if get caught.

Really???

Did you read my post above yours, it's not about POWER it's to try and improve shot to shot consistency and single figure fps spread!

If it is all about accuracy and tuning, I'd say, go for it. I think I'd still buy a replacement regulator and practice on one with a spare incase I destroyed it (but that's just me). I'm a bit paranoid on that front and would hate to be without a gun while I hunted down a replacement part.

If tuning for consistency, I assume you have a chronograph as well. It also sounds like you are up on the law in your country, so just do the calculations and keep it under 12 FPE, and drilling the soft stuff out of the screw should do the trick.

I am curious though. That plug in the screw is there for a reason. I wonder if FX had to do that so the local authorities would believe the guns cannot be adjusted over 12fpe. Might want to check with local FX dealer to see if that's the case and if drilling it out would cause any legal issues. (pardon the paranoia, but I do audits for a living and dotting the "I's" and crossing the T's keep me out of trouble.

good luck

Thank you Saltlake58

I understand your concern over the removal of the AT but it's the first thing air rifle shops & tuners do over here when tuning a regulated air rifle so I can't see it being an issue (copied from the website of one of the tope air rifle companies in the UK - Full strip down, polish internals, valve and hammer tune, full seal change, Power curve testing & re- tune to improve constant FPS, Power set to desired Ft.Lbs Sub 12 ftlbs - this will involve removing anti-tamper.)

I do own a chronograph so the rifle will always be kept under 12 fpe but I'm just one of life fiddlers that like to try and get things running at their best.

Thank you Saltlake58

I understand your concern over the removal of the AT but it's the first thing air rifle shops & tuners do over here when tuning a regulated air rifle so I can't see it being an issue (copied from the website of one of the tope air rifle companies in the UK - Full strip down, polish internals, valve and hammer tune, full seal change, Power curve testing & re- tune to improve constant FPS, Power set to desired Ft.Lbs Sub 12 ftlbs - this will involve removing anti-tamper.)

I do own a chronograph so the rifle will always be kept under 12 fpe but I'm just one of life fiddlers that like to try and get things running at their best.

Good on ya! I think tinkering is a natural thing for air gunners. Both of my guns are down right now, waiting for a break in the weather so I can do some more tinkering. Just ordered a compressor so I can have the air I need to do the tuning. Spring is here and I want to get them shooting again.

Good luck, the Chronograph is a valuable tool. You can really tune it for consistency at that point. My goal is basically the same as yours. Consistency in FPS for both guns.

Do enjoy the tinkering!

Hello Thegogg and others,

I was just reading this post about the FX regulators being sealed. I am wanting to tune my rifle for consistancy and am in an indentical situation to that described and pictured by Thegogg and was wondering how people have ended up resolving the problem?

My inner regulator screw is further out than the one pictured and consequently I wont be able to get a hex bit to fit with the inner regulator still in place.

I was thinking of drilling out the center with a dremmel and then trying to chip away the hex corners with a dental probe.

Or making a fine wire end for a soldering iron/pyrography pen and burning out the plastic filler in many short intervals so the reg itself doesnt heat up.

Did anyone find a solution to this or have any advice for me ?

Just use a sharp point screwdriver and it just comes out it can then be adjusted with a 2.5 a key, anti clock wise for more, clock wise for less, but if less you must de air it all ,as it can break the reg seals . you can increase the power and fine tune with the bottle on , and watch the reg till you get to the desired spot . Huma suggested up to 90 we’re as mine was set to 50, I think fx did this for more shots but at 90 it seams to run better and still the same shot count so have fun hope this helps

Curious and I’m not challenging the OP, just want to know for my own knowledge, but in areas where the 12ft lb law abides, isn’t it unlawful to even work on your own gun in making power changes? It’s one thing to add bling to a gun, but I always thought any power enhancements or changes to the components that affect power must be done by a licensed gunsmith who notes down everything? Again, just curious.

Lastly, a suggestion was given earlier to pull the whole reg out as a single whole unit while keeping the plugs intact on the adjustment screw. I’m also curious as to how the reg can be removed as a whole without first removing that adjustment screw, which would mean first removing the plug

Plug has to be removed to then take out the the brass regulator screw then you can take out the main reg see utube video https://youtu.be/H1Uuh9HcN2k 

no law to adjust and play with your own rifle as long as you are under 12ftp after tinkering with a chronograph this is just incace you are checked by the police but there not allowed to take the gun or take it out of the cover or stop u on private land only in the street or suspicious activity. Please all watch this bloke on YouTube he now his stuff.