FX Impact probe doesn't retract all the way.

My FX Impact suddenly won't release the magazine unless I pull back more on the cocking handle against the hammer spring at the same time in pulling out the magazine. I used to simply just cock it and remove the magazine without pulling more against spring pressure. Supposedly, it's a gen 3 impact. The probe IS NOT adjustable. The set screw goes into a drilled hole in the probe. Something must be screwy inside :( Any heads up on what to look for? I'm sure I can figure it out,just have to waste a few more pellets after I reassemble it to re zero the scope :( It still fires groups as great as ever.

In the picture, it is cocked with the handle back,but not against spring pressure. The probe sticks into the magazine opening just enough to prevent removing the magazine :(

1563137107_1378262665d2b94536ae846.35645883_impactprobe.jpg

Drop shoulder pad down. There is a measurement for probe to back plate. This will affect port/ probe/ barrel alignment. IE: FPS.

remove cheek plate , you will see.hole that should have screw head basically in the center of hole. So, its all adjustments. Look the Youtube training videos over.

I had a lot of trouble at one time. Rod from probe mount (small diameter 4or5 inches long.) Really, watch the training films.

Patience and good luck.

I guess that you can cock the gun without problems and it stay cocked so fat pin that catches the hammer and trigger assembly all together are fine. What is confusing is how did the length of the cocking bar got shorter, not literally but I mean, how did the pellet probe went forward. On the cocking block there is pin that catches the linkage from cocking lever, is he ok, not bent? Whit those Impacts sometimes You can expect unexpectedly :) so I went and checked my pellet probes to see are they machined from one metal piece or a rod pressed into a block but looks like one piece so it is not possible that rod moved out.

When You just loose screw that holds probe from the side of the gun (like when changing caliber), can you reposition the probe forward/backward, is there a play in the hole in probe?

I'm new to the Impact myself but I'm pretty sure the cocking linkage can get out of adjustment similar to the Wildcats as Keyman was eluding to. I'm think I saw that there are some measurements that can be taken to insure the length of the rod/rods are the correct. Hopefully Edosan or Heavy will chime in since they probably have the most experience. I know on the Wildcats you can really get the trigger, hammer, and probe out of sinc with just one error in reassembly. Keep us posted because there's a very good chance I'll run into it soon enough. 

Jimmy

HaHa, thanks Heavy, by the time I posted and refreshed you had already fixed us up.

Thanks a million.

JK

I guess that you can cock the gun without problems and it stay cocked so fat pin that catches the hammer and trigger assembly all together are fine. What is confusing is how did the length of the cocking bar got shorter, not literally but I mean, how did the pellet probe went forward. On the cocking block there is pin that catches the linkage from cocking lever, is he ok, not bent?

When You just loose screw that holds probe from the side of the gun (like when changing caliber), can you reposition the probe forward/backward, is there a play in the hole in probe?

I have not taken it apart yet, but I'm thinking the last time I had it apart there was a sleeve on the cocking pin that was slightly bent and cracked.I'm betting that sleeve on the pin crumbled....but has no effect on cocking because the cocking lever still brings it far enough to engage the sear on the hammer...yet will relax the probe forward a bit when the lever is released and traps the magazine.
The probe depth can not be adjusted like the older Impacts.

Take the top plate off the gun, you can adjust the rod and set the depth to 45mm from the rear of the aluminum side plates to the probe.

Yep,that would make it work correctly, but there is no way for it to have got out of adjustment.......so my guess is the cocking pin on the block is bent. It is shooting too well to take it apart.... for now anyways :)

Looking at the picture it may be that the barrel is inserted a little too far. Try backing it out a little and see if your mag goes in/out. If not, Heavy-Impact is right on with that video. The reason I mentioned the barrel seating depth is that once the probe spacing is set it shouldn't really become unadjusted.

If the barrel is moved forward,it does the exact opposite and won't retain the magazine. The magazine falls out when it is cocked.The purpose of the barrel protrusion is to locate the magazine by way of the exit cut out in the magazine.
Probe depth is 41 mm from the back of the stock to the feeder block.If that was increased,going by the above video....that would make matters even worse and I would not be able to even install that magazine because the probe would not retract far enough. I'm sure the pin on the cocking block has deteriorated.....which would cause the short travel of the probe in it's rear most position. The thing of it is...it's shooting great. 912 fps with 44 gr JSB's and hitting the small end of a pop can at 123 yards............. consistently.Probe and transfer port must be spot on in alignment. I have a FFP scope coming.......so maybe I will take it apart when I install that scope since it would have to be re zeroed anyways with disassembly / assembly.......

When I suggested to back it out a little, I was thinking on the order of a few thousandths of an inch.

Your picture does not show if the probe is actually causing an interference. A view of it in the same aspect as the barrels side of the block would show that.

If I insert my barrel all the way in, once it is aligned in the groove I can't get any of my 3 mags in. You may have some problem with your pin. The most likely would be wear, not that it is bent. If it's wear you should be able to cock the gun and check to see if there is play in the lever in the area of the pin.

Well here it is partners. The C3 I made out of Delrin an few weeks ago broke right half in two and this is where it was when I lifted off the cocking block! Right against the cocking pin. Why did it break? 2.73 mm thick. Rifle still shot terrific at 917 FPS today.... poleaxed 2 rabbits at 80 yards....and that's with the probe 4mm too far into the breach. Mock up assembly with the broken C3 piece removed shows the correct 45mm measurement. Hated to tear it apart, but I'm probably ahead of the rabbits for now. I'll post more tomorrow on the cocking pin.
1563259147_8543226605d2d710b09d6c6.58581524_c3-1.jpg

Glad You fixed the gun.

About port misaligned, they were no misaligned, when the cocking block is returned, everything comes in place, only danger was hammer hitting in delrin piece and messing with cocking pin. Problem appeared only when block is stopped in NEW rear position, hammer is cocked with help of a delrin piece but the leaver is not fully back and so the cocking rod and pellet probe.