Tuning FX Impact Original, Regulator

Ok, I give up, what's the trick to installing C38 o-rings on C37 (regulator screw)? My original Impact has a regulator screw with a tip in the center which mates to C34 (regulator rod). I broke 6 new 2 X 1 mm NBR 90's and managed to get one installed. Tried to move the one I was able install to the second location but that failed. These o-ring feel very inelastic. 

Based on pictures below, are my C34 and C37 in good shape?

Here's C34 / Regulator Rod

IMG_0299.1625531256.JPG

Here's C37 / Regulator Screw

IMG_0324.1625531352.JPG

I had trouble also and broke an o-ring as well. So, I made a tool to help out. Doesn't matter what you make it out of it just needs to be conical on one end, straight on the other and near the same diameter as your regulator adjustment screw. Just chuck up some kind of rod in your drill motor and take a file and or sandpaper to it to get the correct shape and diameter. A little more gradual cone than this would be better. Slide the o-ring up the ramp, offer it up to the screw and push it on. Werqs very well.

Your regulator rod is messed up and should be replaced, if you want your regulator to function properly, it should be flat with no indentation in the middle. You may want to replace the rod and screw also as the newest iteration of the adjustment screws no longer have the point as it damages the rod if adjusted improperly.

Reactions: exsquid
Never noticed creeping, only reason I opened up reg was to solve tank dropping to reg setting over night after I installed Power Plenum. Tank only dropped to reg level when reg was set to low pressure, i.e. 90 bar. Once I saw regulator end I figured something was up there also.

Watched an Ernest video from 2016, sure makes installing the 2x1 o-rings look easy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOlG19kTf6Y

Plan is to take two paths, repair old and buy new. Old repair includes polishing down regulator rod, hope rod doesn't become too short.

I got an old drill (could be new, but I used an old one) Lightly chucked the screw into the drill (don't damage the threads) that gave me something big enough to hand on to. Then a little lube, stretched the o-rings over the end and into the slots. Having the screw firmly held so I don't have to man handle it during installation makes a huge difference.

Ernest used an old metal lathe head in a video a long time ago. I don't have one of those, but I do have old drills. Just need something to hold the screw steady while you stretch the o-rings on.