FX Impact or Maverick Which is better?

As an Impact owner, if my situation was different and I just wanted a good gun to shoot and have some room to experiment, I would choose the Maverick over the Impact. The things that make an Impact an Impact are not needed for most or the aggravation that comes with it. I see a ton of tunes where guys are running their VLA wide open. Why have it?

Amen to that!!!

If you want to nerd out on an airgun then get an Impact and if you want simplicity get Maverick. That being said the Maverick is a traditional bullpup where the hammer is right under your ear/cheek. Impact's hammer is right above the trigger so you won't get the PING in the ear every time you shoot, most people don't notice but I do. I was one of the first to get a Maverick in my grubby little hands and that PING put me off immediately but good thing my buddy loves it. Both are phenomenal shooters and from pure down range performance perspective there is no difference. 

I kept my impact because I'm a tinkerer, I hardly even shoot my impact now and days. LOL 

Reactions: higehunter
Impact is the better gun. The price difference tells it all. Why would a maverick be cheaper if its the better gun? Doesn't make any sense. 

The maverick has only 2 adjustments. That is the reg pressure and hammer tension wheel. The impact has the reg adjustment, hammer tension wheel, and the valve adjustment which.control how wide you valve is opening.

The impact has won many competitions. The maverick have won none. Nuff said. Lmao

Impact is the better gun. The price difference tells it all. Why would a maverick be cheaper if its the better gun? Doesn't make any sense. 

The maverick has only 2 adjustments. That is the reg pressure and hammer tension wheel. The impact has the reg adjustment, hammer tension wheel, and the valve adjustment which.control how wide you valve is opening.

The impact has won many competitions. The maverick have won none. Nuff said. Lmao

I thought so after listening to everyone's opinions.
I'm thinking of buying Impact. Consider a replacement barrel to purchase at the same time.

I'm sure that others will chime in as well, but in my opinion routinely making large changes (barrels and significantly different calibers) on a complicated gun such as an Impact is asking for problems. I fully agree with what others have said in other threads about getting your Impact to shoot well in a specific configuration, and if you need a significantly different configuration, buy another gun in that configuration!

Now making more subtle changes, like optimizing for a different slug or pellet, would not be an issue. But regularly going back and forth from .22 to .30 cal configurations may cause you to be posting a future 'I'm having problems with my Impact' thread on AGN!

Most everything others have said is very accurate. We have both and they are great. They aren’t the same gun, not even close. I’d liken the Maverick to an upgraded Wildcat/Impact Hybrid??? I love my Impact because I love the adjustability, huge magazine, so many available parts and upgrades. It’s powerful, super accurate and contrary to belief, reliable. I think the majority of problems are created by owners! You hear about all of the problems but none of the guns like mine that just work all the time. There are tens of thousands of these guns out there, so you’re going to hear people complain when they mess them up! Been there done that with my first Impact. I did have a hammer seat break, but after thousands and thousands of rounds. I just absolutely love this gun! My son got a Maverick last November and it’s a great gun too. It’s also powerful right out of the box but with this gun, once we got it set up and dialed in for the 33.95gr pellets and 32.8gr slugs, we’ve left it alone. It’s not as adjustable but it is adjustable enough for many people’s needs! It is also very accurate, powerful and reliable. It’s not as powerful as my Impact but I have many modifications, aftermarket parts and upgrades. Like others have said, it really depends if you want to upgrade, tinker, but aftermarket parts and mess around with the externally adjustable settings or if you want to set it up, get it dialed in and then just shoot. The oversized magazine on the Impact doesn’t bother me one bit and I am a lefty. I actually love having 28 shots available! The magazine on the Maverick is smaller and has less capacity and it does stick into my check a bit, for sure. Both great guns, it’s going to boil down to what kind of air gun you’re looking for and what you want to spend. As far as consistency, yes, the Maverick is consistent, but if you set up your Impact correctly, it can be too. I set up my gun last week for the new 34.9gr NSA slugs and shot a 30 shot string with an ES of 2fps! The Impact is still FX’s premier air gun but the Maverick is also a great gun in it’s own right. You will be happy with either!

Have a good one. Stoti

Thank you for your very detailed reply.
I understood most of the information I wanted to know.
It's a little off the original question,
For example, if I buy Impact (.30cal) and use it occasionally at .22cal, can I just replace the barrel and tune it? Is it necessary to replace the hammer or hammer spring separately? If changing the caliber isn't very easy, I'd like to take a moment to consider .25.

Its extremely easy takes like 5 minutes to change from one caliber to the other. Stoti explained it well. 

And partially the reason I am getting a Mav. Instead of the Impact this time is for some diversity haha. The maverick looks cool so I want something a little different, If I had unlimited funds Id get another Impact and the Maverick... lol

I'm sure that others will chime in as well, but in my opinion routinely making large changes (barrels and significantly different calibers) on a complicated gun such as an Impact is asking for problems. I fully agree with what others have said in other threads about getting your Impact to shoot well in a specific configuration, and if you need a significantly different configuration, buy another gun in that configuration!

Now making more subtle changes, like optimizing for a different slug or pellet, would not be an issue. But regularly going back and forth from .22 to .30 cal configurations may cause you to be posting a future 'I'm having problems with my Impact' thread on AGN!

I go from .25 - .30 and It's just tunning which Once you get a good tune and write it down or just memorize it if you're a genius it's really not that much "impact" (no pun intended haha) on the gun itself. With superior liners, you can go from slugs - pellets and back pretty simply too again it's just keeping records of the tunes you want. 

I go from .25 - .30 and It's just tunning which Once you get a good tune and write it down or just memorize it if you're a genius it's really not that much "impact" (no pun intended haha) on the gun itself. With superior liners, you can go from slugs - pellets and back pretty simply too again it's just keeping records of the tunes you want.

I agree with you. I also routinely go from .25 to .30 and back with no problems whatsoever. Depending on your tune you may not even have to retune, just use the Power Wheel and Valve adjuster to suit the new caliber and pellet/slug. Lots of people post that tis could be a problem. The vbast majority of people who ACTUALLY own the gun and do the caliber change have no issue whatsoever.

Chris

If you go between 2 adjacent calibers(.25-.30 or .22-.25) in the same barrel length then the changes can be extremely quick! Most likely you just need to change the setting on the HS wheel without any tuning which is very repeatable. When changing caliber AND barrel length then there might be a need for valve and/or regulator change which aren’t repeatable like the power wheel settings. 

If you get the right ammo/speed combos you might not even need to change zero when changing barrel, just dial down the HS setting for the lower caliber. It can be done! 

with maverick because it doesn’t have valve adjustment you will likely need to change different size/weight hammer when changing caliber. 

The Maverick: (Cheaper initial cost.)
-2 regulators. Helps to reduce regulator wear on the final reg. (Is it really needed?) Not sure only time will tell. In theory it would prolong the life of the secondary regulator but not the first regulator.

-2 points of adjustment. Regulator, and hammer spring dial. So it is adjustable but not really fine tunable to utilize a variety of pellets.

-Maverick is a Wildcat 3 hybrid. Valve block and trigger system is from the Wildcat 3 just with an air tank.

-Trigger is your typical Bull pup style.

Like it was said before if you're not a tinkerer then this might be a good option. 

Impact: Expensive. (But you get what you pay for)

-The flagship in the FX line!

-Highly tunable. (tuning will help tighten up your grouping) using a variety of pellets or slugs.

-trigger is much nicer due to the hammer and trigger system being located at the actual trigger.

-takes more time to set up perfectly. (but you have the ability to do so)

-Ability to use a higher capacity Magazine.

As for 500mm barrels? YES! You can buy different barrel kits. (Both guns use basically the same barrel system)

Your original question, "Which is Better?"
For me the FX Impact. (That's just me!)

For you??? Not really sure unless you tell us what exactly your goal is? 

Backyard plinking??? Competition?? Long range hunting???

Utilize different Gr of pellets or slugs???

Now,I really think so.
Thanks!

The Maverick: (Cheaper initial cost.)
-2 regulators. Helps to reduce regulator wear on the final reg. (Is it really needed?) Not sure only time will tell. In theory it would prolong the life of the secondary regulator but not the first regulator.

-2 points of adjustment. Regulator, and hammer spring dial. So it is adjustable but not really fine tunable to utilize a variety of pellets.

-Maverick is a Wildcat 3 hybrid. Valve block and trigger system is from the Wildcat 3 just with an air tank.

-Trigger is your typical Bull pup style.

Like it was said before if you're not a tinkerer then this might be a good option. 

Impact: Expensive. (But you get what you pay for)

-The flagship in the FX line!

-Highly tunable. (tuning will help tighten up your grouping) using a variety of pellets or slugs.

-trigger is much nicer due to the hammer and trigger system being located at the actual trigger.

-takes more time to set up perfectly. (but you have the ability to do so)

-Ability to use a higher capacity Magazine.

As for 500mm barrels? YES! You can buy different barrel kits. (Both guns use basically the same barrel system)

Your original question, "Which is Better?"
For me the FX Impact. (That's just me!)

For you??? Not really sure unless you tell us what exactly your goal is? 

Backyard plinking??? Competition?? Long range hunting???

Utilize different Gr of pellets or slugs???

I do Long-distance hunting.
Usually a duck. Sometimes a deer.
Thanks,

Overall, pretty simple - I had the same dilemma a few months back. After waiting for the Impact Compact to be made available, the Maverick was released. I bought the Maverick.

If you like to shoot, get a Maverick.

If you like to turn knobs and screws, get an Impact. 

The Impact - is more labor intensive (by most everyone's account), will cost you more, initially, it will cost you more in the "long" run, (by most everyone's account). Add this up, it also may be waiting for parts more often than the Maverick.

The Maverick - Just shoot the Maverick. With little adjustments to offer, you'll spend more time...shooting, than "f**king with it". More fun at the trigger than with the screwdriver.

Mike

Overall, pretty simple - I had the same dilemma a few months back. After waiting for the Impact Compact to be made available, the Maverick was released. I bought the Maverick.

If you like to shoot, get a Maverick.

If you like to turn knobs and screws, get an Impact. 

The Impact - is more labor intensive (by most everyone's account), will cost you more, initially, it will cost you more in the "long" run, (by most everyone's account). Add this up, it also may be waiting for parts more often than the Maverick.

The Maverick - Just shoot the Maverick. With little adjustments to offer, you'll spend more time...shooting, than "f**king with it". More fun at the trigger than with the screwdriver.

Mike

The main purpose is hunting, but I like screwdrivers like everyone else, so I decided to go in a maniac direction.
Thank you.