• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact Not So Compact

KulaHI

May 31, 2020
HI
I shoot my .30 mainly on my property. To keep it neighbor friendly I added a DonnyFL Sumo and that cut the bark down quite a bit. But now that it was longer the smaller bottle looked out of proportion to the rest of the gun so decided to change it up a bit more. Swapped 300cc for 480cc and the Sumo for a Tanto. 

1594945791_7763312685f10f0ff4c2ba2.43450016.jpeg
1594945792_4589556705f10f1004f6b25.95905819.jpeg

Thanks for posting. A while ago, I was wondering if this was possible so it is great to see....

I have a couple questions that I hope someone can answer:

How much clearance is left between the moderator and bottle? I am ultimately wondering what is the maximum moderator diameter one could use. (I have a Huggett Astelle that is spec’d slightly larger)

What is the resulting weight of this setup? The reduced weight of the FX compact versions (Impact and WC) is intriguing to me. But, I don’t know much of the weight savings comes from the shorter barrel and shroud verses the shorter bottle or tube.

Thanks again for posting. Great looking gun. (I am, of course, envious.)

Thanks for posting. A while ago, I was wondering if this was possible so it is great to see....

I have a couple questions that I hope someone can answer:

How much clearance is left between the moderator and bottle? I am ultimately wondering what is the maximum moderator diameter one could use. (I have a Huggett Astelle that is spec’d slightly larger)

What is the resulting weight of this setup? The reduced weight of the FX compact versions (Impact and WC) is intriguing to me. But, I don’t know much of the weight savings comes from the shorter barrel and shroud verses the shorter bottle or tube.

Thanks again for posting. Great looking gun. (I am, of course, envious.)

NIck the DonnyFL Tanto is 1.22" OD. You can see in the last pic it barely clears so I wouldn't go with anything larger than a 1.22" OD. I've not weighed it but is heavier than with a stock 300cc bottle and no moderator but not by much. If you can find the weight specs of the 2 bottles then add the difference to the moderator weight then you can get a good idea of the weight increase.

DonnyFL tanto weights:

Weight: 

1. With 1/2 x 20 Bolt rear end cap: 3.9 oz
2. With 1/2 x 20 Cone rear end cap: 4.1 oz
3. With M20x1 Bolt rear end cap: 3.5 oz

Forgot to add the Saber Tactical ArcaSwiss extended trigger rail adds the bulk of the weight, but kinda balances out the whole thing when you have a full mag of .30s. Also I feel better doing offhand shooting using the rail rather than holding, and possibly placing undesired leverage, on the bottle.