• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact newbie needs help with inconsistency out of my brand new MKII

I could really use some advice about my new FX Impact MKII that I just received yesterday. I've never owned any FX guns before so I am a total noob as far as tuning and tweaking, so please be gentle. 

I've only put about 3 clips through the gun thus far... enough to zero my scope at 50 yards so that I hit the bullseye I was aiming at. I then tried shooting several more shots to see how tight a grouping I could get, and much to my surprise, the shots were all over the place! Some were an inch too high and to the right, and some were an inch too low and to the left (and everything in between). I definitely wasn't expecting this, and I'm sure I'm missing something because the rifle is brand new and was purchased directly from Utah Airguns, and I was told the gun was tuned to perfection before being shipped out. 

I'm shooting with the JSB Match Diabolo Exact King .25 Cal, 25.39 Grains, Domed pellets that Utah Airguns suggested I use. The Impact is filled up to 250 bar. The Impact is brand new so it cam with the Power Plenum pre-installed by Utah AirGuns. I am awaiting my Element-Optics Nexus scope to use on this rig, but in the meantime I'm stuck using my old Hawke Vantage 4-12x50 AO. This pretty much sums up all of the variables I can think of off the top of my head.

Unfortunately I won't receive my FX Pocket Chronograph until the middle of next week, so there's no way at this point for me to verify whether or not I'm shooting at a consistent velocity.

Do you guys have an ideas what the issue might be? Any suggestions on how I can go about resolving the problem? Thanks!

The chrono will help diagnose the problem. Mine came fron Utah shooting Kings at 900. Very slight adjustments to the VS knob makes a lot of difference in consistency. A good barrel cleaning is needed in a new gun, a lot of gunk in there from the factory. Also, a few hundred pellets through will help settle the gun. 

1584897246_18467033035e779cde891529.99082203.jpg

So I put two tins of 350 pellets through the gun today to try to 'break it in', but it didn't do the trick. After my attempt at breaking the gun in, here's what a grouping of roughly 15 shots looked like from a measly 35 yards away:

1584936798_19978178365e78375eb516b0.77883088.jpeg

After some minor tweaks to my scope, here's another grouping:

1584936839_4682300425e78378769ed27.88056231.jpeg

From 35 yards out, while resting on shooting bags, with zero wind, this is still not acceptable. Figured I would try one more time:

1584936960_15916423335e783800e9bcb2.83639348.jpeg

Wait a minute, it looks like the problem isn't much a problem anymore, right? So I mounted a new paper target to see if I could replicate this result and here's what I got:

1584937035_9465567945e78384b4dcf65.27475419.jpeg

First shot is less than a half an inch away from bullseye. Lookin' good! Second shot.... SERIOUSLY??? 😫 Damn thing barely made it onto the black! I gave up trying at this point.

Without a chronograph handy, I can only assume that the velocity of that second shot had to be far less than that of the first shot. Remember I'm only 35 yards out, so that much of a drop means something ain't right.

I was desperate to get this issue sorted out today because as fate would have it, here's what the upcoming week looks like in New York:

1584937523_16659027005e783a33750bd8.08067573.jpg

😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

I'll report back once I've received my FX Pocket Chronograph on Tuesday (...or after the downpour has stopped). In the meantime and additional feedback or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!

If the gun is tuned, it can be the power wheel has been set to a different setting than what it was tuned for. I would try and shoot groups in all settings from "min" to "max", and see if you find the "correct" setting.

When I first pulled the gun out of the case after receiving it from Utah Airguns, it was set to a power setting of 2. I immediately cranked it up to MAX and got terrible results similar to what's shown above. I figured maybe I'll give it a go with the power set to 2 and the results were also exactly like what you see above. 😔

Wow this is a 2000 dollar gun,

And people wonder why I am not a FX person, I have read this same story 100 times. 

Sorry I am not drinking the cool aid.

Mike

As I stated in my post title, I am an FX Impact newbie. If the problem I'm having was being had by somebody who knew what the hell they were doing, it wouldn't be a problem!

You really think this gun would be as widely adopted as it is if there wasn't something special about it? You must know there's more to it than that. Even I know that and I'm the one having the problem.

But by all means, dismiss the gun as you may and don't drink the cool-aid if it ain't your cup of tea. Me on the other hand, I'm looking forward to educating myself about this beautiful machine so that I can better understand what makes it tick (and why it doesn't sometimes).

It is possible that a dirty barrel (liner in this case) could cause these results, although it seems a bit extreme for a fouling issue. I have had two rifles that demonstrated this type of extreme accuracy issue, and both had bad barrels that were replaced under warranty. Wish I could say they were FX rifles, because I am not a fan of the liner and sleeve design, but they were Daystate and Brocock products. Even the best barrels makers (LW in my case) turn out a few bad ones. And in one case, it was not the work of the barrel maker, but bad port machining at the breech.

Do you have any prior experience owning and shooting rifles, or is this your first?

It’s not an issue with the scope, and this is not my first rifle. I’ve used this scope for the last 6 months on my Air Arms s510 Ultimate Sporter, and for 6 months before that on my Air Arms TX200 MKIII. At 35 yards l’ve always been able get the pellets to go through the same hole as one another.

I’ll report back once I’ve spoken to Utah Airguns and once I’ve received my chronograph.

Wow this is a 2000 dollar gun,

And people wonder why I am not a FX person, I have read this same story 100 times. 

Sorry I am not drinking the cool aid.

Mike

As I stated in my post title, I am an FX Impact newbie. If the problem I'm having was being had by somebody who knew what the hell they were doing, it wouldn't be a problem!

You really think this gun would be as widely adopted as it is if there wasn't something special about it? You must know there's more to it than that. Even I know that and I'm the one having the problem.

But by all means, dismiss the gun as you may and don't drink the cool-aid if it ain't your cup of tea. Me on the other hand, I'm looking forward to educating myself about this beautiful machine so that I can better understand what makes it tick (and why it doesn't sometimes).

Sorry , I did not mean to piss anyone off, Just flips me out that people pay that much for the gun and end up working on it, I have four guns that are five years old that I have never had to work on, I mean NOTHING, I see you guys buying 2000 dollar guns and having to work on them, It just flips me out, I do hope you get the gun worked out and it shoots like Matts and Teds, guns and makes crazy shots that I see videos of the Impact, Good luck with the gun and I hope you get it dialed in like all the ones on the Videos , Some day I may even own an impact, Never say never in air guns , 50 years ago while I was shooting my 177 Pump if you told me I would have a 25 caliber air gun I would call you crazy, Or for that matter spend 1,500 on a air gun, Crazy again. Peace out and stay safe , Protect your self from the Virus.