FX Impact MKI Upgrade or sell and buy a MKIII

First time posting on this Forum. I currently own a MK1 FX Impact purchased February 2018. Seems I got one of the last batches before they released the FX Impact Smooth Twist X and eventually the MII's. I am considering selling my MK1 and buying a M3, however upgrading this one is not out of the question.

Anyone have any advice on resale value on the MK1? or advise on simple upgrades I can perform to bring it close to M3 Spec.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

ercVUPX.jpg

The silver model is legendary IMHO as the branding is etched rather than applied to the receiver. The determining factor to upgrade the platform for me would be if the receiver has the updated reg or not. If it does, one could theoretically upgrade most aspects of the platform except the M3 OEM bottle/1st reg feature and micro adjust wheel. There was a batch of guns that were essentially MK11 specification without the branding and I was lucky to receive one of these so have done this exercise. I chose to not replace the cocking block/lever, the valve adjuster and 20 moa rail. I also have other guns so I wasn't messing with the gun that I shoot regularly.

Frankly, having been down this road countless times in the past, I would sell it and get the M3.

If you love it and it does everything you want then of course, just keep it and don't buy a new gun. But if you are looking hard at the upgrades then, from my perspective, it seems you want something more than what you have. In that situation the upgrade path is always sub-optimal.

You will spend a lot of money and time and energy to get something that will NOT be a M3 Impact. No matter what, it will be a modified MK1 and is unlikely to have all of the changes made to the M3,

My advice, sell the Mk 1. Get the M3. You will love it.

1. If the MK1 is a good shooter and you use it the way it is, keep it.
2. If you sell it, they seem to be getting $13-1400.
3. If you upgrade it, plan on spending $300-700 in parts. Then your time involved, and re-doing it until you get the leaks out. It will likley never be as reliable. It would be better to sell it and buy a new M3 that comes with a 3 year warranty.

I would agree with all the suggested opinions.
If you need to sell in order to fund an M3 than I would agree with @jps2486. The money put into a MKI will be close enough to an M3, and still, there will be no comparison. M3 wins.
I notice your MKI is a .25 and probably a Smoothtwist liner. Very desirable, worth keeping it if it's a shooter.
If you do not need to sell, I would consider keeping the MKI and get a .17 or .22 liner and probe and tune it to shoot a zillion shots per fill!, Makes for good cheap fun and very quite too.
Here is a link to Bagnall & Kirkwood's nice upgrade history of the FX Impact's.

Patrick

advice from an older guy. Life is dang short. You don’t realize how short until you look back and realize there are way more years behind you than in front of you.
If you are even thinking M3 you will not be satisfied with an upgraded Impact. Nothing wrong with your current gun but sometimes we just want something.
If you can swing it responsibly money wise, buy it and enjoy it.

Ciscodilla,

The thing to look out for is the reg piston length and washer diameter, if I remember the old combo is a 14 mm piston and 8mm washer with newer models having the 18 ish mm piston and 10mm washers. The receiver is drilled accordingly and the reg body is sized up to accommodate the wider components.

I did not want to negatively influence your decision but I feel that I may need to add that I have an M3 and you can't compare the two on a level playing field as there are material changes to the internals. As suggested by others I have turned my "old" impact into a .177 monster that I shoot at home when I am not in the mood for 100m at the range.

When I go to the range the M3 is fun. When I go hunting my love affair with FX stays at home... You can't have enough tools for specific jobs. Get the M3 and make the old gun the ultimate project/frustration gun.

Thank you all for your help. I pulled the trigger this morning (Pardon the pun) for a new M3 with a few upgrades from Utah Air Guns, which set me back about $2250 Should have it next week. I started perusing the classified ads to see if I can post my MKI for sale to mitigate the bite I just took, and apparently it says "Insufficient privileges". I've got well over the 10 minimum posts now. Any ideas?