• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact Mk3 .35 cal question

Hey all,

I am strongly considering an FX Impact Mk3 as my first high end PCP. I want a 25 caliber, which should satisfy 99% of my airgunning needs.

I also would love a big bore airgun for hunting medium/larger game ie. whitetail deer, hogs etc.

My question is about the .35 impact mk3. Does the .35 have different internals than say the .25? If I want to shoot both .25 and .35 from the same gun with corresponding barrel kits etc, would I be better off ordering the .35 rifle, and a .25 barrel kit/mag, or vice versa?

I am not opposed to buying the Impact in 25 and a separate big bore gun down the road, which I'm sure is the best option. Just curious if the Impact mk3 in 35 would satisfy both needs.

Thank you for the help!

If you want to hunt deer and hogs with a airgun I would not recomend the Impact. It just does not put out the power you need to shoot the heavier 35 cal slugs fast enough for the bigger game. I would not use the Impact on anything over the size of a coyote. As for the internals they are the same. The 35 might have different springs to make more power but not much to worry about going from a .25 to .35

Reactions: athlon_oved
So, to answer your question directly, it is possible to go from the .25 to .35 and vice-versa. However…

The 35 does have some slightly different internals, including, AFAIK, a heavier hammer weight. For this reason it is quite a bit easier to go from the .35 DOWN to the .25 rather than starting with a .25 and going up to a .35.

As for whether or not its the right platform for hunting deer and hogs, I’m not an expert or even particularly knowledgeable, so I’ll let others comment.

I can only speak to the .30 at 100. There I have shot both pellets (mostly) and slugs (Hybrids and NSA) and gotten sub-MOA with all of them. However the NSA slugs took much more work and I did have to crank up the speed. The pellets and hybrids were not so hard, with the pellets between 880 and 920 and the Hybrids up around 980-990 FPS.

Frankly, If I am going beyond 100 i am probably using a powder burner anyway.

If you want to hunt deer and hogs with a airgun I would not recomend the Impact. It just does not put out the power you need to shoot the heavier 35 cal slugs fast enough for the bigger game. I would not use the Impact on anything over the size of a coyote. As for the internals they are the same. The 35 might have different springs to make more power but not much to worry about going from a .25 to .35
Over 200J from a 500m barrel is not enough for a roe?

When it comes to larger game, I belive distance, type of round, and shot placement play a larger role in determining whether you wound an animal or recover it. Penetration being a big key factor and that has to do with the type of round used. The 35 is capable of 200 fpe now with the right mods.

People get killed with that much energy all the time. 50 yards and under shouldn't be an issue. State laws may be though. Headshots only would take far less energy. People use 25 cal airguns take pigs at 25 yards with headshots in other states.

Also, if I may make a suggestion, just get the tweener 30 cal. Lots have had great luck all around with that version.

Reactions: Glem.Chally
I have already tried it my self so speaking from my personal experience only. I was trying to decide the very same thing for the same reasons as you lol. I made 2 expensive mistakes for myself based on the local laws where I live. The impact is not suitable for big game in my area.(or any where IMHO ) it is way to much effort , time , knowledge and custom modding and changing of parts to make it work for me. Can it be done yes . has it been done yes. will I ever do it no lol. Just buy a separate big bore platform with stock performance to far exceed the minimum foot pounds of energy and caliber required in your area . Tune it down a lil from that and enjoy. the fx line is not the correct choice in my opinion for bear and really large whitetail or any large game for me.

You will probably enjoy the ,25 cal impact if you get one for many other things just no .35 cal impact for big game purposes at all for me ever. I wish you the best and hope it all works out great for you. This is just my personal opinion and experience in which you can agree with or not agree either way its all good and I wish you the best again lol.

Can you kill a deer or hog with the 35 Impact, yes you can. Would I try it? No. I would not go out looking to shoot a deer or hog with that gun. I would step up to a Texan, or even my Slayer for that role.
As for shooting 100 yards with the .35 or 30. Right now my 30 Impact will outshoot my 35 at 100 yards every single time. The heavy slug barrel for the 30 shoot the 59-68gr slugs awesome. FX still has not come out with a heavy slug liner for the 35 yet. They say they have one in the works but we have not seen it yet. I expect when they do come out it will be a great shooter.

The one that interests me currently is the western rattler in 357. I will wait a couple generations so the can work out any gen 1 flaws. I also want to see if they garner traction and create a following as well as see how they react to warranty issues.

The aaa slayer is a nice gun too, but less shot count and more purpose driven. With the impact I have a far wider range of purpose. Lower fpe/ higher shot count or moderate fpe/ lower shot count. I love my 35 cal for turkey and coyote hunting. A 30 cal would perform just as good if not better due to less accuracy and tuning issues. Power is plenty with either imo.

My state doesn't allow hunting big game with an airgun yet and may never, so that isn't my concern. I just believe too many people get caught up in high power everything. 3.5" mag for ducks and geese, 300 rum for deer, etc.... If anything all they do is train their bodies to flinch when they pull the trigger from the abuse of recoil.

Knowing your distance and using the right round is far more important. For example, my number one waterfowl load is 12 gauge steel 3" 2's followed by 4 shot as a close second. I shoot canadian geese yearly out to 40 yards with this combo, often double, and occasionally triple when the setup is right. Some believe you need a 12 or 10 gauge and 3.5" bb or T shot for them. They usually hit the least because their follow up is garbage due to how far the recoil pushes them off target, their developed flinch, and improper lead on the target. It is all industry hype.

With that being said, this is why the rattler interests me. Supposedly around 15 shots at full power or 270ish fpe or dial it back and get 45 shots. It has the ability of good power for a 357 when needed. The semi-auto is just another perk, but not needed as long as there is a mag.

Last edited:
It will kill a deer just fine shot this at 55yds. She made maybe 60yrds

20221001_193006.jpg

lol i can clearly see this guy has no clue what he’s talking about ! showed video of guy shooting hog heads a 90 + yards with a .25 going right threw !

lol i can clearly see this guy has no clue what he’s talking about ! showed video of guy shooting hog heads a 90 + yards with a .25 going right threw !
You can't always believe what you see on youtube. I know what I am talking about with airguns. If you want to try to shoot a hog in the heat at 90 yards with a 25, good luck. That won't work out very well.