Tuning FX Impact Mk2 - ultimate trigger tuning - shocked by the results

Hi guys,

I saw some tutorials on how to improve the trigger in Impact Mk2. Based on that I did the following with some adjustments:

Red color:

I. Polished the pacman wheel. It was mentioned in some tutorials.

II. Polished the sear. I am not sure it was mentioned in any tutorial. This was the groundbreaking discovery. Polishing the pacman wheel alone is not enough to make that much of a difference.

III. Made the spring weaker by reducing its length. One needs to be careful to not to make it too weak as the gun may not cock or the first trigger stage may not undo itself when removing finger from the trigger.

IV. Made the ball spring weaker by pushing it to the bottom with allen key multiple times and keeping it totally pushed in for some time.

I also added some Krytox 205 grease on the surfaces marked as I and II. I believe grease works better than oil in these conditions.

Green color:

Pins go through the holes marked with a green color. I added a drop of Nano Oil 10W to both of them. Pins themselves can also be lightly polished. They are the trigger joints keeping the mechanism in place and they should operate smoothly. I also added a drop of oil to the grub screw interior (IV) after pushing the ball down.

As of the polishing itself I used 3M Wet/Dry Polishing materials - the ones with different colors used by Ernest many times.

The end result blew me away. I was amazed how smooth the trigger was. The difference was like night and day.

If you plan to follow any advices posted by me - you do it at your own risk. Any modification of a PCP airgun is risky, especially in the trigger area. Choose wisely.

I polished the touching surfaces to scratch-less mirror finish, and only those surfaces got a molibdenium grease just to wet.

I did not touch the springs, but it is so sensitive now I can feel the spring inside the ball plunger screw rubbing against the hole walls.

I am shooting BR only and I want that solid wall feel on the trigger before the sear goes of, and that is the spring+ball inside the plunger. I may open it and polish the hole, but that is next time next winter project ;)

Good tutorial, my question is what do you mean by much smoother now. Do you mean the trigger is lighter now?

I actually have not doe any modifications internally but removed the first stage and turned the trigger blade about 15 degrees to the right since I'm a right hander and it's fantastic to me. I'm no trigger snob but after shooting a ton last couple of years I'm leaning towards more firm(12oz) single stage trigger even for the bench.