• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact MK2 pellet probe problem

My buddy just received a new FX 25 cal MK2 today fresh off the FedEX truck, with a serial number of 1919xx. We loaded up the magazine and immediately discovered a problem, it would not load a pellet. After close inspection we discovered the probe was sitting LOW and contacting the lower lip of the brass inlet. We removed the set screw holding in the probe and inspected it, it looks good. One note, it appears that FX has upgraded the square block that holds the probe with a bigger set screw (that's good!). We put the probe back in and tried again, no luck, it still would not cleanly load a pellet. Then we discovered if we held the gun upside down, it would cleanly load pellets every time! In other words, gravity alone fixed the problem. We took off the cheek piece and top rail and you can see in the video when the gun is upright, the probe hits the bottom of the brass inlet and is not centered to go into the barrel. If we cock the gun and jiggle the handle, we can get pellets to load, but it pretty much does not load a pellet cleanly, or jams. I'm not sure if anyone has encountered this problem, or has a suggested fix? It almost appears if I was to remove the square block that holds the probe and sanded off just a tad of material from the block, that might cure the problem by raising the probe just enough to center it? Of course I don't want to do that yet until someone lets me know if something else might be causing the problem. Or possibly FX has changed the square block and not machined it properly? The screw that holds the square block onto the sliding rail is tight, so i know that is not the problem. The bottom line, the darn probe is just sitting a little to low. Any suggestions very welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02gd7bO68zY&feature=youtu.be

Take the barrel out and check the brass port hole. See if anyone have try to mod it by drilling it larger. My first impact I try to mod by drilling the port hole bigger. When I load a pellet, 95% of the time it gets jam. The only way to get the pellet in is turn the gun upside down..or quickly close the level. What happen is the hole is bigger and allow the pellet to tip into the transfer port and jam. If you check and the hole havent mod, then maybe a bent probe. Or it isnt align straight. 

PM me your number and we'll have Ernest call you tomorrow to get things sorted. It's the first time I've heard of that problem but I'm sure Ernest can help you through it. He just left for the day or I'd have him call you now.

- Jon

sixtyfive minute response time - well done jon - impressive cs - cheers

How is that “impressive” when an expensive gun (to most folk) fails, “right out the box”? Where is the QC? Good customer service is great, but it’s also good not to “have to” use it. Must be just me, but I expect my expensive toys to work from the get go.

Take the barrel out and check the brass port hole. See if anyone have try to mod it by drilling it larger. My first impact I try to mod by drilling the port hole bigger. When I load a pellet, 95% of the time it gets jam. The only way to get the pellet in is turn the gun upside down..or quickly close the level. What happen is the hole is bigger and allow the pellet to tip into the transfer port and jam. If you check and the hole havent mod, then maybe a bent probe. Or it isnt align straight.

The pellet probe is not entering the brass pellet inlet so it couldn't have anything to do with the port... and the gun is brand new.

PM me your number and we'll have Ernest call you tomorrow to get things sorted. It's the first time I've heard of that problem but I'm sure Ernest can help you through it. He just left for the day or I'd have him call you now.

- Jon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Jon,

Have Ernest call me about my rifle, too. It's been at your facility for over 2 weeks.

I'll PM you my phone number and email address

yep, everything parallel and square. I removed the probe set screw, inspected the probe, all looks straight and perfect. I even loosened the set screw again and applied a little pressure forcing it up when re-tightening the set screw. No change, still hangs low. I know it has nothing to do with MAG,s because we have (2) impacts, both .25 cal MK2's and we tried 4 different mags.

I ran out of time today trying to diagnose the problem. Maybe tomorrow I will take the top end assembly off my gun and put it on the new gun to see if the problem follows..... 

already tried that, in fact, that top recessed screw that holds the block/probe assembly was red loctited from the factory. the video above was done with the cheek piece and top plate removed. watch carefully and you can see the back end of the flat rail rise up about 1mm when the probe contacts the brass inlet, forcing everything up. I agree too, wait for the call :)

- Jon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Jon,

Have Ernest call me about my rifle, too. It's been at your facility for over 2 weeks.

I'll PM you my phone number and email address.

P.S. I'm happy to know he returned from vacation.

This person doesn't have a right to some time off? I know problems can be frustrating but that seems unreasonable.

Everything is back together, fixed, and working perfectly. FX advised me to loosen the recessed hex nut holding the block/probe onto the sliding rail. Then slide the cocking handle forward to insert the probe into the barrel, then re-tighten the recessed hex nut. (thus the barrel is holding the probe/block assembly in the correct position when tightening things up)

I tried this procedure many times, while it did improve the situation, the probe was still a bit low and would contact the bottom area of the barrel insert creating a bind. I tried squeezing the probe up while tightening everything, etc etc.

In the picture below, you will see the block/probe assembly. Remember, this is a new BLOCK, which has a bigger hole for the bigger set screw to hold the actual probe.

If you look close at the pic, you will see the center section of the block is actually "raised", I would guess at least 1/2 mm. Any way, long story short. 240grit sandpaper, and properly swiping the block and rotating it while sanding, and a few trial fits, the problem was solved. Basically I removed the entire raised area. It did not take long, and now the probe assembly fits/slides into the barrel perfectly. (smooth as glass as they say)

I'm actually going to order one these new blocks, probes, and set screw just to see if they have that "raised area". I also have a relatively new MK2 that I rec'd in July, and it does not have the same block/probe assembly. My set screw holding the probe is 1.5mm. My buddies new Mk2 has a set screw that looks to be 2mm in diameter. So the BLOCK was upgraded on this batch of new impacts for sure. (the probe is probably the same, just the block has been upgraded)

Bottom line, this was a simple fix. Matter fact, his gun is now smoother than mine! lol That means I will have to take my gun apart and do through the same process till I get it perfect. Most likely, all I will have to do is what FX suggested, just loosen and re-tighten the block until it fits/glides into the barrel perfectly. 

the pic below was taken before any sanding,

the raised area in the middle is now gone and the block is flat straight across

(thus raising the probe)

1570054901_19367011655d9522f52b5698.13545851_IMG_0018.jpg