• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX Impact Mk2/M3 - slower first shot - no reg creep - quasi-scientific analysis

When shooting slugs and how you have to tune for them my first 2 shots being slow is like having a different hammer spring setting. That puts things way out of whack. Pellets? They don’t really care. It’s not a matter of a slight dining elevation with those first shots, it’s a matter of not knowing where they’re even going. Could be low left, low right, straight right or left.

Very well said. The issue with first shot slower by more than 10m/s must be resolved.

It can't be a normal valve it would take a lot larger hammer to produce the power impacts can make wouldn't it my raw is a normal valve and it's used a 63 gram hammer and heavy spring I don't know i could be wrong though how heavy is impact hammer

Hmx raw has around 30cc plenum.
Impact has more than dbl that. 
I ran a 100bar plenum in my mk2 impact 

same pellet same speed in hmx requires 130bar plenum 

Reg had crept up 2-3b over a couple days but I have my hammer spring set close to the knee of my reg setting so I don’t think 2-3b is a big deal. First shot 866fps. Then reg was where it should be and the second shot was 873fps. Then 881, 877, 878, 878, 880. This is with a .22 M3 Compact with a reg setting of 137b. My M2 that has a more pronounced problem with first shots is a 600mm .25 with a reg setting of 128b. It does have dual regs so that puts that part of the equation on a level playing field with my M3.

7 feet per second isnt bad at all 

Corny my raw hammer is lightened from original by like 10 or more grams and am running a external plenum so at 125 bar on the raw pushing 34 gr jsbs at 907 to 913 and using a Huma reg external plenum is 25 cc so it wouldn't be more than double the size of it I was thinking mk2 plenum my point was is 60 grams more than double the hammer weight that is in a impact so if it were a true conventional valve wouldn't it take more to open it I don't know I know it has a sticktion problem for some people and others have seemed to be able to tune it mostly our of equation 7 fps difference isn't really anything why are some having more of a problem than others I'm just curious I haven't been inside my impact and not trying to be wise ass just curious is all 

Oops 15 fps still isnt a game changer after sitting for 2 days 25 to 30 I would consider something would have to be down but how long does it take to set in I burn the first shot any way before loading and my hunting is pretty close by usually pretty fast pace to . I can see where the oring could bind more towards the cone seal it would be pinched more 

As I remember is that in 1st generation Impact, there was an X ring to act as dynamic O ring and it was placed in a groove from the outer side of the plenum. 

This may be one of the reasons that 1st generation Impact had not such issues. 

The X ring would continuously hold some of silicon oil and keep it as friction free as possible. 

But that O ring needed to be replaced much earlier as compared to the now used PU round O ring.

Looks like FX wanted to give the users peace of mind that this O ring will not leak.

Yes it lasts much longer but perhaps at the cost of stiction. 

Screenshot_20220129-045412_Chrome.1643414087.jpg

Screenshot_20220129-045718_Chrome.1643414271.jpg

Bhaur

Hi guys,

After scratching my head even more and exploring the resources I think I managed to find the reason why FX Impact Power Plenum valve suffers from severe stiction. The answer is: there is a design flaw. Let me describe it in greater details.

Early balance valves were suffering from severe stiction issues. Bob Sterne from GTA forum managed to identify the problem. Please familiarize with the following post by him:

The direction of valve movement exaggerates the stiction issue be wedging the oring even deeper between the valve rod and plenum. Please take a look at PUR90 oring which I removed from my plenum.

It is obvious there was wedging involved. The first shot after sitting for a while suffers from the stiction because the rod movement makes the wedging even worse. Then, when the valve closes it removes the lip of the oring from the gap.

The conical cavity which I presented you is not that deep. It is shallow enough for the oring to fill it entirely.

The conclusion is FX Impact Power Plenum valve has a design flaw promoting stiction issue.

Reactions: radjabatak